Sign in to follow this  
Guest C172pilot

My Rant

Guest Milton

Tom and all AVSIM Staff,As a freeware contributor who relies on your services to distribute our works, I am extremely appreciative of your team and site, quality of hardware, software, and bandwidth.Your team has always been fast and responsive and the support has been top-notch.Thank you all for the many sacrifices and contributions that sets standards of expectations for us all. You are a valued contributor to this community, a world class organization.Best RegardsMilton Shupe

Sadly this attitude has been getting ever worse in the last few years.An ever larger group of people have no appreciation at all for what others do, only demanding complete and unconditional service to their own every whim.This shows in the flaming you're now receiving but that's no more than a symptom.People have (and are in ever greater numbers) left the freeware community (if not the community altogether) over this in disgust. I think many of them are still around but not participating actively anymore, biding their time.A good part of the reason for this is a complete lack of understanding with many people (especially the younger ones) of the cost (both in time and money) involved in running a website and/or creating software/FS addons.These kids have grown up in an environment where they get whatever they wish for free, they only have to ask. Either their parents give it to them (go to an airport and just look at the number of 15 year old kids with expensive DSLRs and professional lenses) or they get it free (read pirated) of the 'net using P2P software like Kazaa.They never had to spend a dime in their lifes and think that everything is free and should be.They also have no appreciation at all for property (unless it is their own of course), thinking that everything is there only for their own convenience. If they don't get what they want, they go into a rage. Online this translates into rants and raves, maybe an attempt to crack into a machine. Offline you get highschool shootings and murders...Unless big social changes happen to change this situation, making these people understand social and economic values, I fear the worst.

Guest Jimbofly

Hi Tom,I can't ever express how grateful I am for all of what your team has provided. I have made hundreds of downloads from your site over the years and I am amazed at the level of talent and hard work that goes into the products I receive for free. I almost feel bad for accepting them and would have no trouble paying for them!Your site is fantastic and it is the one I use 99% of the time. Keep up the good work, and ignore w**kers who endeavour to make everybody else's life a misery. I for one support you 150%James

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi Tom,I would like to say a couple of things. First, I think the problem with a slow response from the library which, occasionally, resulted in a timeout and slow forums has been know for a couple of months now. So, I don't quite understand what took until just recently to order new server hardware. That is not a complaint or rant in way, shape or form. I'm sure there is good reason, perhaps lack of funds until recently or what have you. Maybe the troubles Avsim has encountered recently prompted people to pony up and make a contribution thereby enabling you to order a new server. I made a small contribution about 6 months ago($40). And I had been coming here almost six months prior to that. And I am very grateful for all that I have recieved here. Great fast file downloads, of which I have downloaded gigs and gigs worth of. Great forums I have spent my time socializing, sharing screenshots, and helping people troubleshoot their problems in. Web pages/sites that are hosted by Avsim(Project Fokker, BFU, HJG, ect ect). And I was never prompted to make the small donation that I did. You can look forward to another small donation from me in the near future ;), and I encourage others to consider doing the same!Everything about Avsim seems voluntary and free. I know that this problem is just a small blip on the radar screen. I know, soon, things will return to normal as far as the file library is concerned and no one in their right mind will be able to complain about what they get for free. For heavens sake they shouldn't be complaining now. The responses so far in this thread are folks whom it seems to me to be pretty much saying the same thing I say next. Why people would complain about something they get for nothing is something I can't understand. So I hope you do your best to ignore the crybabies(I know it's hard though), keep your chin up, and keep in mind that some people are not in their right mind.If it helps, again, I am very grateful and thankful for what Avsim has provided me, for free.Carry on Soldier!Sincerely,Jimmy Richards

Guest Capt_Static

Tom:I couldn't agree more!! I am so fed up with it that I honestly have NO desire to continue in the development side of the "community". While my departure from PSS was due to obligations in my personal life, now that I am really "out" I see things from an angle that I haven't in years. Like you, I have been around this community since '95. Over the past nine years I have had the privilage of being part of many key groups who shaped the face of the FS Community (AvSim, Phoenix Simulation Software, Freeware Flight Group, WestWind and Meridian Virtual Airlines, etc...). I have also watched the face of the community drastically change from an open family-like atmosphere to a nasty, selfish monster (If I remember correctly, the whole copyright "battle" PFG and FFG fought started the decline of the old community). Over the years I have grown tired and scorned by the attitudes of the hoplesly self-proclaimed aerospace engineers and make-believe airline pilots who know everything about nothing and nothing about everything.Now that I am able to quietly sit outside the box, I feel my ambition and desire to contribute to the FS Community fading at an exponential rate. I feel this way because I have come to the realization that the community as "ol'timers" like you and I know it will never be a reality again. I am proud of the contributions that I have made to the FS Community and wouldn't trade the experiences and friends that I made for anything. However, like the many who have already made the journey, I feel that long ride into the sunset calling me.

As I told one fellow in alt.game.microsoft.flight-sim tonight..."Get a grip! This isn't heroin for crying out loud! I've heard less whining from junkies on the corner who't can't find their next fix..." :)There have always been, and always will be a small, but selfish minority of "people" who'll whine and complain when things aren't exactly to their satisfaction.Tough. Lock 'em out and *plonk* 'em!Add my thanks for all that you and the staff have done over the years.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Gdavis101

I tend to accept the problems that are associated with the server, and when one uses a site that doesn't cost a dime to download from you can't complain. When there are problems, AVSIM is really good about posting the situation.. I belong to another site, that is not FS related and they don't tell you a thing. It just doesn't work. We really have to thank these guys at AVSIM for providing us with a generous site of information and downloads, all for free.. THANKS!!!I don't like the download restrictions either, but it is just the way it is. If you don't want to wait, there are sites out there that are pay to use. Thats my two cents.

Hi Tom,I don't talk much on the forums lately, but I wish to say a few words at this point. I've been here for a relatively long time and I still remember the day when I "discovered" AVSIM. I downloaded lots of stuff, I read the forums and I began learning. I felt like I had discovered a treasure! Everything I've learned about the inner workings of a flight sim I got on AVSIM and for that I will be ever grateful. That would not be possible if it wasn't for work that you guys do. Thank you for that, thank you for your hard work, it IS appreciated! Don't let the minority clip your wings. AVSIM is too valuable to be lost. Yes, I am selfish :) but to my defence, I contribute a little something every now and then. On the other hand, I am afraid that Jeroen is right. The younger "instant" generation feels like everything is for free and has to be now. I come from a small country and in brief 13 years of our independence I see just how much the mentality has changed. It's frightening...Thanks, Tom and the crew! Regards,Jure Dolanec

Guest JDH

Hi Tom,I can fully understand your feelings on this subject. I have to say that you and the team are a damn sight more patient than I'd ever be!Sadly, in the Internet community, there'll always be the types of people you have mentioned here. All you have to remember is that these people are retards, with the mental age of a three year old.You have clearly stated the problems with the library on the front page. If these idiots are incapable of reading, that isn't your problem. Yes, the download situation is frustrating, but the adults here understand the effort you put in for us. We know you are expending time & $$$ to give us the goods and by God, we appreciate it!!So, next time you get a "You guys suck" piece of illiterate rubbish in your inbox, there is one solution. DELETE!!Keep up the good work, and don't think it's not appreciated. It is!

Guest danowat

Hi Tom,I am sure you can see that the support posts far outwieght the ones that are whining.Yes, it is annoying be having these restrictions in place, but they are neccesary, I have a small site, and I know how much my small bandwidth cost's, so I couldnt imagine how much bandwidth avsim uses.I would, and have, gladly contribute to keep the best flightsim site up and available to all, it worries me a little when you stated that AVSIM will NEVER go "payware", you'd rather see it go under, in todays climate free sites are going under because of the bandwidth costs, I really think that AVSIM need to look at some way of recouping the cost, be that paid membership or whatever, something else really needs to be done.I also think that a paid membership would weed out all the selfish ####'s, those that only take take take, and never give anything back.I wish you all the best in getting your problems sorted out, and as for the emails and bad posts, don't even give em a second thought.Dan.

Guest jaapverduijn

Greetings Tom and Forum!Although Tom and I have had our altercations in the past, this time I have to fully agree with AVSIM's head honcho, to such an extend that I even feel sympathy for the poor gubber (grin)!Some of the reactions to the server problems and download issues that AVSIM had and/or has, are very revealing about the world view of the posters, namely: "This world is all about ME and MY needs, and all human beings are MY servants". I've learned not to pay attention to such people, and give them as wide a berth as possible. They kind of automatically switch me into "ignore mode".I understand that this is much harder for Tom and his co-workers, on account of them being personally attacked in a way that shows profound ignorance of the ins and outs of running a place like AVSIM. How hard it may be, Tom and colleagues, don't let the pathological complainers winge and whine you into anger or depression. As a very regular visitor to this place I enjoy and appreciate your hard work and dedication, and according to this thread lots and LOTS of people do. Keep up the good work, much appreciated!Jaap Verduijn.

TomYou got one thing wrong - it is not a "noisy minority", it is a "noisy tiny minority", and unfortunately you meet them in all walks of life.Keep up the good work.David

Guest BernBear

Tom!I have used other sites prior to using AVSIM, but since I bought FS9 last year, AVSIM is my primary resource for everything and anything FS related.I have downloaded dozens and dozwns of files from your Library that made and are making might Flight Sim experience so much better!Your forums and reviews provide a tremendous amount of absolutely invaluable information and help to us Simmers that I could not possibly live without it.So, some of your hardware went south and I couldn't get at any files for some days. What did I do? Instead of downloading everything even remotely interesting from the AVSIM library, I did *GASP* more flying. Even with the current download restrictions in place and the forums being less than lightning fast at certain times, there is absolutely nothing that I have reason to complain about.I must say that I find the negative feedback you're getting rather pathetic. I always had the feeling that the AVSIM team is doing everything in their power to restore service as quickly as possible and you always kept us users informed, what more can I ask?I wish to thank everyone involved for giving us such a great Flight Sim resource site that makes the hobby many times mor fun and rewarding than it would be without AVSIM and all that for FREE!I can only hope that you will overcome your justified frustration about those attacks and just ignore them, so you can go back to your, IMHO, absolutely awesome work!I also hope that your "rant" will make more of those who love AVSIM speak out, you need and deserve lots of positive feedback, AVSIM is simply great! Best RegardsMax (Bern, LSZB)http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpg http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

Tom & Co.,Just to add my comments to this tidalwave of support - I for one do appreciate the privilege of being able to download all the free files your library contains. I support both the "big sites" and chose to ignore the petty jibes and comparisons made between them. Talk is cheap and I suspect if half of the wingers had to spend one day doing your jobs they'd be in way over their head !You're doing a truly excellent job. If there have been some problems recently it just goes to prove that nothing ever works properly all the time. Do whatever you have to to correct these minor problems and be assured that the vast majority of us serious simmers will wait patiently for the matter to be resolved.Such resources are a privilege not a right, and the sooner the kids realise this the better.Best wishes,AlastairUxbridge, UK