Sign in to follow this  
Guest C172pilot

My Rant

Guest KChapman

Tom et al,Don't ask me why, but it took me until February of 2003 to find out about the forums. Imagine my surprise and excitement when I found out there were thousands of others who shared my by-now obsession for flight-simulation in general, much less the very program(s) I was using! I don't speak up that often, but you can guarantee that I check in to read what's going on many times a day. I like to spend time flying in and around the highest-quality creations that interest me, and I find most of them for free on this site. Of all the FS resource sites on the web, I consider AVSIM to be my flightsim home. I've chosen it for a variety of reasons, and we all have you and your team to thank for providing such valuable resources to those of us that gather here for news, freeware, discussions, and the thing that stands above it all, an invaluable sense of comraderie quite similar to what you'll find down at the FBO.I think about Flight Simulator every day of my life and fly as often as I can. In large part, I have AVSIM's staff and denizens to thank for it.Please know that for all the bad temperament and impatience you have the unfortunate displeasure of seeing directed at you and your efforts, there are multiple times more people who stand in support of your endeavours and decisions. I can safely say that we who have posted in this thread and countless others appreciate your ceaseless work and selfless contributions to our mutual enjoyment of this hobby. Keep up the good work, and please know that thousands of people's lives are made in some way better by what you've done and continue to do.On the bright side, those files I want will be on the new server, I know how to write down a list of filenames, and I'm gonna get SO much more flying in this week... :D Kevin

Hi Tom and (NOT LEAST) the rest of Avsim Staff!!Whew, well I started to type...and then I retyped it all...and now I'm doing it again: For what can I say, that haven't already been said???So instead of using a lot of bandwidth: These are MY word of support for what you are doing now, what you have always done and hopefully always will do: Trying to be best (and succeeding, I might add).My deepest respect for you all SincerelySven Sorensen, EKCH

Guest Madtrapper

To Tom and staff:I for one find it, a real priviledge to be allowed to come and go on Avsim as I like.I have made many friends and have downloaded some great freeware from this site.I have great respect for this site and all the great folks that make it happen.I personally believe Avsim is for Winners! and not whiners!....Yours truly,Brent Garland...Canada

Guest daveg4otu

To Tom and all at AvsimI just want to add my thanks to you for what you do. The facilities at Avsim (Forums and file library ) are what has made my FS experience so enjoyable.Unfortunately the "moaning minority" will always be with us - wherever we go. I belong to other forums (on other subjects) and they suffer the same rude treatment from a few people. Rising to their bait tends to only make things worse- they are best ingored.Please just keep up the good work - 99% of us are right behind you.CheersDave

Hi, everyone.It is my hope that you can ignore all the nasty individuals, and their comments. Do the best you can, and be assured that there are many, thousands, of very grateful members.It is very likely that the complainers are the ones that are mooching off your efforts and hard work, and are benefiting the most.You

Guest dcc

I'll add my AMEN to all the posts above. The vast majority of simmers stand behind you Tom and our hobby is more enjoyable because of what you and the avsim staff do. Keep up the great work!- dcc

First, let me prefice this message with the following two emails and one news group posting that we have received or have been subjected to recently:From "Gary": "your site sucks. i haven't been able to download anything from your site for last week. i will no longer visit this siteand then...From "John": "Hi , well since a certain time now, we encounter many problems downloading files. Do u know what I think? You have in mind having Avsim a shareware site (for download). I will like to know your "final answer"...a fan from Quebec city. John"and in the newsgroups:Entitled: "AVSIM Screws Itself" by "Azhosers": "Well now Avsim has changed its downloading policy--Hell I have so farNOT been able to get a single download to happen!Flightsim.com has the goofy speed restricions so downloading anythingfrom them takes forever! I see no need to suffer a 16kbs download withHigh speed cable!And even when i had paid for Flightsim the D/L speed was slow--Avsimwas well over 140kbs, but now-i cant even get a single thing todownload!Great!"----------------------------------------------------------------------These are just three of many that we have received over the last two weeks or which have been posted in the newsgroups, most of which run along the same lines.I have to tell you folks, as the ostensible leader of this little band of volunteers, I wonder why we do what we do. In the last two weeks we have spent $1,500 on repairing the current library/forum server, and have ordered over $6,000 worth of new server to bring online in the next week or so. Over $7,000 and growing that we freely give to the simming community. We don't require arduous log ins, we don't dole out bandwidth. All have equal opportunity to access the library and forums. Not a cent is required to get preferential treatment or fast downloads. All we ask is for a little understanding and patience while we solve hardware failures and bring on new capability. It is a shame that the "me" generation is so prevalent in this hobby.I have neither the time nor the inclination to put up with an obvious noisey minority that also obviously has zero appreciation for what they get for free and whom don't have the patience to allow us to work through our hardware issues. And, I have to tell you that the volunteer staff of AVSIM has a far less sympathetic outlook on this than I do. We are sick and tired of the "this is all about me" outlook that many in this community have. It isn't all about "me"... Its about fairly serving the greatest number of folks we can; distributing the resources we do have equally and fairly. If you can't get access THIS IMMEDIATE MOMENT, then chill out and keep trying. You will get there. The downloads over the last three days prove that - you will eventually get through and you will eventually get your FREELY served file. You will eventually get through. If that bothers you, well, tough. Go elsewhere.I can tell you this... I and to a great extent, the AVSIM Staff, feel like the freeware authors who have thrown their arms up in total frustration and have found other interests to move on to. Believe me, we do this as a hobby, not a vocation. Every one of us on AVSIM can move on and do something else.So, if you have not the patience to wait for our fix for the problems, and you feel the need to shoot your mouth off, consider for a moment the impact your words may have on a dedicated corp of people providing you this free service. It could be otherwise.

Guest Coneman

First of all, let me say Thank You to the staff of Avsim for all the things you do for the FS community. It's greatly appreciated.I understand about the childish, snotty emails and posts, but I think you guys need to remember that there are a great number of kids who are into this hobby. That's not to say all kids are like that, but with parents unwilling to discipline, and schools unable to, I think we had better get used to behavior like this. I guess it's a symptom of the lack of values and respect our society has (U.S.), and unless we are willing to change, that's what we can expect, and worse. So guys, just laugh off the inane, idiotic remarks. I know sometimes it's hard, but if you can't I can understand it would be pretty hard to go on.Todd

Guest PSP

Gee, I guess that says it all.

It probably took that long to get the money together.I'd be surprised if all donations combined were enough to cover even the bandwidth cost, and the hardware is all paid out of someone's personal pocket.Given the cost (plus the cost of hiring someone to install it all), that takes some saving up...

We all know the contribution of AVSIM in our hobby.A bunch of shaking empty and rusty tin pots, make a lot of noise. Not useful both, the empty rusty pots and the noise.GO AHEAD according to Flightplan and THANK YOU ALLSamuel Kalachoras :-waveAthensGreece

Sam. 

Waiting for the 64-bit PSION Flightsim for ZX-Spectrum ////

Guest Dr. Prilicla

Tom and everyone who stands behind AVSIM!I would like to sound my word of appreciation and gratitude for tonns of work that You do continously, supporting and developing this resource. It's always people at first place, not the technological component. That's all your merit that AVSIM is numero 1 FS site, with its vast family of fans and friends.As for the mmm... ego-centric individuals, who decide to publish comments, like you quoted... The one who finds possible to write such mmm... bosh, only shows his (her) own immaturity and absurdity. The only way to deal with them is to ignore, 'cause they can't bring nothing constructive or positive to what other people create!..Dixi. :)Max.

Guest rmce

Tom,This forum has often had discussions about the type of abusive posts that we see.I honestly believe, as an educationalist, that a great many of these posts are from circa 14 year old boys, that quite honestly are meaningless nonsense from still being educated children.You can see it in the writing style and vocabulary.So, whereas we love our children we also know when to ignore them!(lol)If these post are not from adolesceent children, I leave the analysis to us all.This forum is too important to us all, and we all support you.

Guest FS_freak

Tom & crew!Dang! I now have another debt with you guys. I am finally able to fly the same bird for longer than a week after years of constantly setting aircraft aside in favor of newer downloads.It took a server failure for me to start digging into the dozens of files I used to download every month and find many hidden features I wasn't aware of. A bunch of files never even made it to my virtual hangar until now that I have had the time to install them since the Avsim server is acting up.It seems like even when things go wrong you guys end up contributing to my simming experience. I owe you big time. My respects to all of you and screw the whinners!Mauricio

Guest C172pilot

I must say tom. you take ALOT OF CRAP! YOu don't need it! YOu do this for free as a service to our community... So what if I can't download a file at 200kb.. 140kb will take how long? like 20 seconds.. Are you that download rate paranoid? All I want to say.. YOu don't like avsims FREE services.. Go somewhere else..I think you all derserve a round of applause.. and thanks for a great few years(since I've been here).. way to go!