Sign in to follow this  
MarioDonick

Two great freeware scenery packages

1) SCSE La Florida -- a small airport in Chile, and what an amazing rendition this is. It even has animated passengers entering aircraft.

The download link is in the video description, so open the video in YouTube

Thanks to uwespeed for sharing the link in the Aerosoft forum.

2) YMML Melbourne -- finally a new scenery by ISDG, who already brought as Christchurch, Sydney and Toronto. Download: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=24981

Both downloads are highly recommended.

• Upvote 1

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Thanks Mario

Wow, that video is incredible, so much detail, and can't believe this is free, it's better than most of the payware I have ;-). I really like the animations, very well done.

Also, if YMML Melbourne is anything like their rendition of Christchurch, then this will be another great release

1) SCSE La Florida -- a small airport in Chile, and what an amazing rendition this is. It even has animated passengers entering aircraft.

The download link is in the video description, so open the video in YouTube

Thanks to uwespeed for sharing the link in the Aerosoft forum.

2) YMML Melbourne -- finally a new scenery by ISDG, who already brought as Christchurch, Sydney and Toronto. Download: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=24981

Both downloads are highly recommended.

No Kidding! Thanks for the tip. Beautiful works.

Jim Morgan

The animations of SCSE , :blink: .

And as usual ISDG sceneries are great!

That SCSE is wonderfully impressive and a sign of what's to come in XP. These kinds of animations will need to become the norm in payware sceneries now just to compete with freeware.

That SCSE is wonderfully impressive and a sign of what's to come in XP. These kinds of animations will need to become the norm in payware sceneries now just to compete with freeware.

I doubt this will become the norm in payware scenery soon -- many payware developers are still thinking in the FSX mindset, and have not much experience in achieving the same good results as they do in FSX. Also, for some things, like mesh editing, which is requested by many developers, no intuitive tools exist. For other things, like ground traffic, we have tools like the Ground Traffic plugin, but these can't be used for payware due to legal (licensing) reasons (Aerosoft once stated this in a forum post).

So for high quality payware scenery, it is not enough to run FSX2XP, or to use OpenSceneryX objects and World2X-Plane city buildings. You need to invest time and knowledge (and, in the end, money) to get a good result. Unfortunately, this investment may not be feasible for all developers, because the payware scenery market in X-Plane is still quite small and it is hard to judge which types of scenery users really would buy.

The existence of high quality freeware may also be a problem in this regard, because why should one buy, for example, a payware scenery of San Diego when this awesome freeware of KSAN is available? For many users, freeware like this is more than enough to enjoy the sim.

I doubt this will become the norm in payware scenery soon

Which is a real pity. Most of the newer stuff I've seen are just converted/ported scenery from FSX. The animations in this freeware are really promising and if someone can integrate these or create a library, we'll end up having high quality ORBX-style airports for X-Plane with animals, birds, people, etc.. After all, every flight starts and ends in an airport, and it has to look the part. 

So for high quality payware scenery, it is not enough to run FSX2XP, or to use OpenSceneryX objects and World2X-Plane city buildings.

Regarding W2XP, there are restrictions in the license that prevent people creating payware scenery with it anyway. This is mainly due to the fact that the model library used contains work contributed by many users who have all forbid the usage in a commercial product. However, you can get round this by creating two sceneries, one for the airport, and a free one with the city (Which truscenery did with OSM2XP), or use your own models and artwork with W2XP.

The existence of high quality freeware may also be a problem in this regard, because why should one buy, for example, a payware scenery of San Diego when this awesome freeware of KSAN is available? For many users, freeware like this is more than enough to enjoy the sim.

Agreed. Some of the freeware I've seen recently beats most of the payware stuff I have (With exception to Truscenery and BetiX). NZCH is fantastic and I was amazed with the detail in this. 

Also, for some things, like mesh editing, which is requested by many developers, no intuitive tools exist.

There is something in development, see here. I am currently experimenting with it.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

There is something in development, see here. I am currently experimenting with it.

Every payware developer with mesh problems should really be pointed to that thread...

Every payware developer with mesh problems should really be pointed to that thread...

However, we have to wait for the licensing of the program, when it's finished  ...

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

One benefit of xplane have more control at airports easier to move and correct runways in Xplane than fsx. Empty airports do have thier benefits. No buildings to exclude. I can make things in Xplane and I have done fsx to xplane conversions. Find objects in fsx have multiple textures and this is where I perfer Xplane limits on muliple textures. A hanger in fsx can have 5 textures in Xplane it's one or two textures. Faster to build something in Ac3d or Sketchup than have over 20 textures to convert.

I would think that except for the big, international airports, there would be so little demand for smaller airstrips that it wouldn't pay a commercial developer to offer them for sale.  The relative ease with which X-Plane airports can be developed encourages simmers from around the world to create their own local airports and offer them to the rest of us, which is what seems to be happening.

There's an update available for SCSE, which not only covers the airport, but the entire city.

da4glxn9965uxl25f.jpg

da4gmdghu7kv6qw4j.jpg

da4gml8naa75c4c9v.jpg

da4gmueor0ho8ppur.jpg

da4gn2z4voyz1vqxv.jpg

da4gnakwvjvna5pnn.jpg

da4gnzgrryw9e80mb.jpg

da4go7egn5dx9p5wj.jpg

da4gofdxaaywzaqeb.jpg

da4goo75hl5i3ozz7.jpg

da4gp0phdbltqnktf.jpg

• Upvote 2

Do not forget that the mesh will block all within this square! It is a headache all developers.