Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

X-Plane 10 for iOS

Or playing on a flight simulator whilst on a real flight, doing the flight the real plane is doing ;-)

hmm, when get into a real one then i will :)

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I can't have semi functioning AI/ATC features, but they have time for that and this:

Ohhhhhhhhhh.........!!!  :P

Can we have crash physics and realistic blood spatters when you hit the ground in XPX, now???  :Big Grin:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I know we'll never get it, but an official comment from Laminar on the dev resource split sure would be nice.

I bounce back and forth with XPX and P3D and the one thing that's *awesome* about P3D is the vibrant dev participation on their forums and the consistent releases and fixes.

...and not seeing that features are being "left out to dry" while they work on stupid iOS games.  :-(

I

...and not seeing that features are being "left out to dry" while they work on stupid iOS games.  :-(

Well, they started with these "stupid iOS games", while they were developing X-Plane 10. So I don't really see why a few updates shall be so significant. These updates were probably in development while parts of their teams worked on X-Plane 10.30.

Since they use multi plattform code on the Mac these iOS games are on a totally different code base and they probably only share testing capacities.

Give me Gauges on the Android / IOS . or WAC / Sectionals that's fun.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Xplane on iPod and iPad probably better sales and more profit. Still, working on Xplane 10 I figure just small items that will make easier to update create big upgrades later on. Flight sims are niche market unlike first person shooter games.

If anyone is interested this is now out on iTunes. I'm personally going to give it a miss. Android users of course get left behind again, and additionally it's actually seemed to have raised a bit of anger amongst the X-Plane community, especially the remark in the email:

"The world’s most advanced mobile flight simulator just got an upgrade.

Featuring interactive 3-D cockpits, brand new Internet multiplayer, combat missions, emergency scenarios, tutorials, & more, X-Plane 10 Mobile is enough to make our desktop users jealous."

Let's hope they get back to developing the desktop version now.

"The world’s most advanced mobile flight simulator just got an upgrade.

Featuring interactive 3-D cockpits, brand new Internet multiplayer, combat missions, emergency scenarios, tutorials, & more, X-Plane 10 Mobile is enough to make our desktop users jealous."

Nothing about "combat missions", "internet multiplayer", "tutorials" and "interactive 3d cockpits (on a phone/tablet)" makes me even remotely jealous.

...the only thing I'm jealous of is that the mobile version has been getting dev resources.

Honestly - I'd rather have them shorten the lifespan of a given desktop version and charge us again every year or two if it's about money.

The $80-$100 every so often isn't even a consideration (for serious simmers) -- we just want updates, fixes and more features!

+1 if they need more finance I'd gladly pay for biannual upgrades, like FS used to be, as long as the features and improvements justify it.

I remember someone from Laminar saying that the absolute major bulk of the profits came from XP9 for iPhone. This is what is funding the development of the desktop version to a large extent, and just as you can read in Ben´s post on "sibling rivalry", both applications actually benefit from mutual spinoffs.

While I am as desperate for improvements in X-Plane as the next guy, let´s not forget that we are totally alone in our hobby, compared to the millions of people playing casual games on their playstations and smartphones.

Laminar Research is a company, not a welfare organization - they need to generate income, even profit, and they need to go where the money is, just like you guys need to eat, wether you like it or not. No money, no X-Plane. Let´s not forget what Microsoft did when they started to think about money and flight-simulation...

So I think its in our best interest to wish XP10 mobile every possible success, it´s what keeps our niche-hobby funded. Otherwise Austin might turn to make a "Plane" software, where you only get to fly on one island, fly through hoops to collect power-ups and little diamonds and spend your afternoons landing on hangar-roofs with other players and have a laugh at all the sillyness...

Jan

Laminar Research is a company, not a welfare organization - they need to generate income, even profit, and they need to go where the money is, just like you guys need to eat, wether you like it or not. No money, no X-Plane. Let´s not forget what Microsoft did when they started to think about money and flight-simulation...

Good points and post Jan. It was indeed the case that XP9 mobile funded XP10 desktop development, so if this does well, and I have no doubt it won't do well, then it's good all round. Unfortunately it's very much the case that our small group is a niche market, and even though we probably spend more money than we care to think about on flight simulation, there just isn't enough of us to make it something profitable. I bet lots of commercial addon developers also have other jobs as well, and I'd be surprised if anyone does addon development as their fulltime job.

I remember I also picked up XP9 Mobile when I had an iPhone, and it actually made me try out the desktop version again after abandoning it. With XP10 and both steam and now iOS, I'm hoping it will bring in more users to X-Plane Desktop. It wasn't particularly good by today's standards, but I thought it was pretty cool, and I remember flying between the Hawaii Islands and using it to show off the iPhone's accelerometer to people.

Nothing about "combat missions", "internet multiplayer", "tutorials" and "interactive 3d cockpits (on a phone/tablet)" makes me even remotely jealous.
...the only thing I'm jealous of is that the mobile version has been getting dev resources.

Yeah, this is my thoughts. It's not so much the features, but more the fact that it went quiet and this appeared out of the blue, as well as racing games etc. I'm sure we are all frustrated that we still don't have features that FS9 had, and no amount of complaining seems to be getting us anywhere. Third parties are trying hard to fill in the gaps, but since there isn't much money to be made in X-Plane addons, nobody is really going for it (Apart from JohnMaxx who really saved the sim for me with his addons, and Carenado/Alabeo for adding scrollwheel support).

If they release an android version I might just get it, it's free anyway (but with in-app purchases).