Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

X-Plane 10 for iOS

since there isn't much money to be made in X-Plane addons

Why though? Because the customer base is too small; a niche in a niche market. But - it's chicken and egg Tony. LR know what they need to do to win over the flight sim market, goodness their customers keep telling them till they're blue in the face, it just makes it look like they're not willing to invest in the resources to make that happen. If Austin/LR is too aloof to actually read the forums or have a play with their competitors' products, then there's no hope really. Jan said rightly that LR is a company, but surely any company worth its salt would check out the competition and listen to their customers' requests/demands? If it was your company wouldn't you try to get a better market share?

If it was your company wouldn't you try to get a better market share?

Yes, I absolutely would do so, and when I think of the huge gap and opportunity X-Plane had before P3D came along and again when MS Flight was cancelled, it makes me wonder if they honestly really care about market domination. X-Plane has always felt like Austin's project, which he works on when he feels like (and it started out like that anyway). True, it is improving slowly, but it's not going in the direction so many of us want, and it's easy to see the frustration and same points which crop up on almost every single post. Basically, we, the users, come along for the ride, and we get what we are given, and we either take it or leave it.

As other flight sims are progressing, P3D is going ahead and will probably go 64-bit, people are working on Outerra and it has quite an active and passionate community, and even AeroFlyFS is due to release v2 of their sim, X-Plane is going to become less relevant, and this is a sad thing, as it's an incredibly powerful platform just lacking focus.

I use both FSX and XP10.  I already have the investment in hardware (new computer build, yoke, pedals, throttle, joystick, etc.) so the move from FSX to XP was only the cost of the DVDs up front.  There is wonderful HD mesh available as freeware (or inexpensive DVDs for those of us who lack fast internet), and as mentioned, Carenado and others are stepping up with very fine aircraft.

Screenshots comparing XP with FSX are always favorable for eye candy.  What XP lacks is good ATC (fly VATSIM instead) and seasonal scenery changes - fall leaves and winter snow.  But flight dynamics are "better" by most experienced opinions and the support for scenery is growing both commercially and from the very active European community.

What I think we should be doing as XP fans and simmers in general, is "selling" the merits of XP to FSX fans.  I hope to see more advertising by XP.  There is more content given to XP in Computer Pilot magazine than before, and FSX is losing ground to P3D which is a long way from meeting its potential until they recode it in 64-bit.  Additionally, development on P3D seems to be lagging or stalled at present and was originally intended for instrument training and not eye candy or total sim immersion.

So all of us can benefit from extolling the virtures of XP10, contributing to the growing scenery freeware database, and helping maintain profitability.  I for one have no interest in flying on a 5" cell phone, but if it helps XP grow, I'm all for it.

How was XPlane being funded before there was a mobile version period?

By charging us I'm assuming.

Do it more!

We are a niche, as people have pointed out, and we aren't going anywhere (except to P3D if this slow update cycle keeps up)

What I think we should be doing as XP fans and simmers in general, is "selling" the merits of XP to FSX fans.  I hope to see more advertising by XP

It's a hard sell I've found. Generally, FSX/P3D users have a large investment and also expect features such as ATC, Seasons, weather etc to be working to the same standards in X-Plane, and they're just simply not. Eye candy looks nice and I think it's very important, and X-Plane really wins hands down for creating pretty screenshots and also the wealth of high quality free scenery, but it's really lacking in other departments.

How was XPlane being funded before there was a mobile version period?

I also believe X-Plane use to cost far more than it does now.

This is becoming a bit OT, but I would think most X-Plane users are more serious, on the average, than FSX users.  That's not to say there aren't some very serious FSX users because I put myself in that category, and many X-Plane users started with MSFS or both.  Does a mobile version of XP matter?  Perhaps it's a good sales demo tool in the hands of serious desktop computer users who show it to friends.

I don't often use the ATC in FSX because it is just not realistic, and of course ATC in XP is in need of work.  If you fly FSX, for example, from KDEN to KSLC, the STAR will take you  south of the airport for an 18/36 runway approach.  You can include those STARs in your flight plan, but in FSX, the ATC will take over about 100 miles out and vector you directly to a 30° intercept with the ILS regardless of surrounding terrain.  This is standard for all approaches.  If you want more realistic ATC, you must use Radar Contact 4 or other 3rd party add-ons that stick more closely to your flightplan.  This is not a consideration for mobile users.

There are some very sophisticated aircraft for FSX, but vendors are ramping up for X-Plane with some great aircraft - Carenado is especially to be commended for their support, and I've purchased many from them for X-Plane.  The investment can be significant for either sim, but again, this is not a consideration for mobile users.

For me, having a 64-bit platform with XP, having such an active simming community with freeware airport development and having arguably the better flight dynamics is worth more than massive amounts of photorealistic scenery.  I have a large investment in FSX scenery and I'm finding it difficult to move much of it over to my new computer, which is pushing me to switch my investments to XP.  FSX has a terribly convoluted installation system, scattering files all over the hard drive which is a disadvantge and which often makes upgrading computer hardware problematic.  XP does not suffer under those restrictions with it's folder system.  Again, not a consideration for mobile users.

I have not seen the mobile version, nor do I have or use a mobile phone device, so perhaps I'm missing something.  Regardless, if development time on a mobile phone is somehow helping XP grow, more power to them.

X-Plane has always felt like Austin's project, which he works on when he feels like

This.

It also makes me wonder if he's just getting tapped out on the desktop version and wants to crank through some cash with Mobile junk to put fuel in his Lancair Evo.  (wouldn't blame him by the way)

I sure would love to be proven wrong, but XP really should be renamed "X-Plane - The platform of patience - Xtreme Patience"

Good link if interested in the mobile OS decisions but it doesn't really give new insight into the desktop vs mobile stuff.

I'm not surprised in the least that they find Apple mobile Dev easier - most all devs say that.

Android device fragmentation is a disaster for developers, most especially game developers.

The myriad of Gpu and screen resolution combos on android is head spinning for sure.

Good link if interested in the mobile OS decisions but it doesn't really give new insight into the desktop vs mobile stuff.

Did you also read the other Blog post by Ben Supnik a few days earlier? That one might shed a bit more light on it (but I think, even in this post mentioned by Tony, Chris is describing the role of all platforms for each other quite well):

Tried this for a few hours then deleted it. Only four airports world-wide? Non-working instruments, no map.

IMHO Infinite Flight is far superior, as is Aerofly FS.

Sad to see LR devoting resources to this when so many issues exist with the desktop product.

id you also read the other Blog post by Ben Supnik a few days earlier?

Yeah I did.

I'm just firmly in the camp of "wanting more" from X-Plane desktop.

Been a user for years and years and years and it's just always been such a waiting game for stuff that others sims had long ago.

(side note: Where's the high altitude distance visibility fix?  It's like 2002 and we are watching mountains "appear in the distance" still on high altitude airways)

-- To see this Mobile app, which is junk compared to other options that already are out, just kills me.

Laminar: Please start on a new business model with desktop - Go subscription - Charge 2x/year or annually - Something to get desktop going please!!

IMHO Infinite Flight is far superior, as is Aerofly FS.

Exactly.

I knew the XP version was junk just when I saw the initial screenshots.

Didn't even pass the sniff test compared to the options, right out of the gate on first glance.

I can't blame them for making iOS mobile version it may annoy desktop users, but long term it will benefit us all as they will the have ability to add features and code to make it run better on all types of devices. Use both Xplane and fsx, and I feel xplane physics and velocity of flying far better than fsx. See, add on app not really distraction all it buy as keeps my arms busy flying waving iPad around. Feel xplane overlooked by some fsx users and it sad to me as Xplane can leaverage modern technology better than fsx. I do think Austin probably sick making Xplane desktop at times, but I can't blame him for selling mobile apps to generate income off App Store impluse buys lol it pays for aircraft fuel.

+1 if they need more finance I'd gladly pay for biannual upgrades, like FS used to be, as long as the features and improvements justify it.

They don't need more money, he gets plenty of money and that shows with his toys and the amount of money he gives away.   He is entitled to do that and good on him but I wouldnt be throwing more money his way if you want it spent on flight simulation, it's most likely going to go somewhere else.

Time to let this thread rest before it gets too personal