Sign in to follow this  
CathayA340

Full Blown VATSIM/FSX?

Hello,

I'd like to take my FSX flying to a higher level with more realism on VATSIM...I already fly VATSIM but not as "professional" :)

What should I do to make everything as real as possible?

Just keep flying and observing as often as you can... experience is your best teacher... constantly strive to improve ATC comms every flight ... most importantly - HAVE FUN !!   :Party:

WAT1460.png

I fully agree with vcarlo experience is your best teacher not only in a technical/procedural way but also learning to more easily hear, understand and remember what instructions you are given by ATC. Also pay attention to what instructions are given to other online traffic around you since this will help you always keep a good situational awarness both on the ground and in the air.

Then another very simple but super effective tip to make your experience better online...always keep a piece of paper and a pen handly and write down the instructions you are given. This will make your life a lot more easy, trust me :smile:

I've uploaded quite a few clips to YouTube featuring online flights on Vatsim in the PMDG NGX. Part of them are in Swedish (the commentary but of course not the ATC communication) but I still think you might get some tips checking them out if you like.

Here's my channel on YouTube -> http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpwfj9D3locrQsX2qbake1A

Richard Åsberg

I already fly VATSIM but not as "professional" :)

If you already fly VATSIM and the controllers don't have any objections to your flying, you already are professional. :wink:

I fully agree with vcarlo experience is your best teacher not only in a technical/procedural way but also learning to more easily hear, understand and remember what instructions you are given by ATC. Also pay attention to what instructions are given to other online traffic around you since this will help you always keep a good situational awarness both on the ground and in the air.

Then another very simple but super effective tip to make your experience better online...always keep a piece of paper and a pen handly and write down the instructions you are given. This will make your life a lot more easy, trust me :smile:

I've uploaded quite a few clips to YouTube featuring online flights on Vatsim in the PMDG NGX. Part of them are in Swedish (the commentary but of course not the ATC communication) but I still think you might get some tips checking them out if you like.

Here's my channel on YouTube -> http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpwfj9D3locrQsX2qbake1A

Haha ok, thanks a lot! I registered for a site called Sim Brief and it has the OFP that is printable so I guess I'll use that. And as for the piece of paper, I do that already...I just jot down info like this:

AAL1952 B763 KMIA-KLAX 145 pax Fuel 23.4

RSV 2.7 CI007 IFR: Cleared, Mntn 5000, FL330 10 min after, S5206

MIA Taxi : N, M1 to 8R        MIA Winds: 270/12        MIA Altimeter : A3006

LAX Winds :     230/10       LAX Altimeter  : A2986

Notes : 

Thank you for the youtube clips! I subscribed to you and will watch them :) 

Go crash into someone.  :P

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

That's a mature comment.

When I did my Jujutsu training I was thought , get hit first so you can hit back. :lol:

@OP 

I would read the basics about ATC comms and procedures.  And practice those , all the vatsim controllers will help you if you ask them.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Take part in events. One of my major tests was fling Gatwick to Edinburgh during an event where near enough the whole UK was staffed, and I had everything. Clearance to clearance. It was also very busy, I was about 6th in line for takeoff at Gatwick with planes coming in to land as well. Another thing to kick things up a notch is fly harder approaches, one of my first Vatsim flights was to Madeira doing the 05 approach. I had control for that and it was nervewracking but so much fun. If that's not your style then ask for a different type of approach, such as an NDB or something, kick things up a notch and make your flight harder to do while following ATC instructions.

To add to the already great suggestions, make sure you have your charts handy. Airport charts with the taxiway's noted will help you navigate on the ground and making sure you have your charts for departure (SID) and for your approach ready to go as needed.

Other than that, don't forget to have fun and enjoy the experience. Don't be afraid to have the controller repeat his last instruction if you're not sure what he/she told you to do.

M

Thank you all SO much for the excellent tips! I will now have my airport charts handy. Recently, I started to fly the fun/manual approaches, such as Maderia, JFK 13L, LGA 31 Expressway Visual, Toncontin and Kai Tak! It's great. And I will practice ATC comms as well. Your help is much appreciated!