Sign in to follow this  
dahopkins

extended service download

What is up with this!!?? I purchased the item, why cant I download it when I need it? I lost my hard drive and when I went to my email to reload my airplanes I could not get my 777 that I payed $80 plus for!!! I was told by your site that my download link had expired. Then I find out that I have to purchase another service to download something I had already bought!! Highway robbery I tell you! I need some one at PMDG to send me another link for my 777, that I hold an activation key to, and that I purchase in good faith, so that I can re-install my purchase!! 

One  extremely upset customer!!

David Hopkins

No question, this is one of the worst customer service policies of the Flight Sim developers.  I can't think of another one that charges for subsequent downloads.  Now having said that, PMDG has been very open about the policy and its clearly promoted on their website and I think during the purchase process.  So its caveat emptor, all I can suggest is to you and others, make sure you backup your PMDG purchases and upload them to your Dropbox or Drive account just to be safe.  Unfortunately in this case you are going to have to cough up another $5.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

If you think about it: You should back up downloads even if you are allowed an unlimited no. of re-downloads without any time limit. You never know what will happen to an internet access point or an internet connection, to a download server or to any website you are trying to access.

Just make it your (monthly) routine to back things up.

What is up with this!!?? I purchased the item, why cant I download it when I need it? I lost my hard drive and when I went to my email to reload my airplanes I could not get my 777 that I payed $80 plus for!!! I was told by your site that my download link had expired. Then I find out that I have to purchase another service to download something I had already bought!! Highway robbery I tell you! I need some one at PMDG to send me another link for my 777, that I hold an activation key to, and that I purchase in good faith, so that I can re-install my purchase!! 

David,

While I can understand your frustration, I have to offer up a parallel issue here. Say I walk into a BestBuy, or GameStop or whatever other store that sells software and purchase a product. I then lose that CD somehow. I cannot walk back in and tell them that I lost the CD and get another copy for free. I'd actually have to purchase the whole thing all over again.

Granted, the internet and downloadable software have changed the paradigm here, and many companies offer free replacements (Apple does this with iTunes and their various Apps, along with several other developers like Microsoft with their XBOX offerings...provided you bought the digital version and not the CD version). This is an easy cost to justify to such large developers, though, because of the mass of offerings they have. The sheer number of offerings continually brings in money to offset the cost of the additional bandwidth use of re-downloads.

This is not as much the case with PMDG. The cost of the additional bandwidth is part of the reason the extended download service is there. Additionally, it requires human intervention to go into the cart and reactivate the URL and deliver the email. Sure, it isn't much effort for one, but many people request the service, and the person who services these requests needs to be paid.

I'm sure someone will come in here and say "well, it's 2014...the solution should be an automated one," and I'm sure that is the goal, but it's not how it is, currently. If any of you know of a good solution to that end, I'm sure RSR would be all ears.

...and on the flipside of that argument, it could easily be said "it's 2014, storage is cheap - make sure to back up your software." For what it's worth, I have all of my installers on a second internal hard drive, an external hard drive, and on a DVD-RW.

Regardless, if you would like to discuss the matter with PMDG, the appropriate avenue for that is:

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/Main/Default.aspx

Kyle Rodgers

If Sam Walton had ran his first Wal-Mart like this I guarantee that non of us would have ever hear of him or his store! I have purchase the goofy $5 extended service but I just sit here now waiting for some one there to respond.

Very Frustrating!! 

I still have my email where it said my code would last for 365 days on the 777. It has not been a year. I have purchased the 747, md11, and the 777. I am a great customer! Now I have purchased a $5 extended service plan and I still am not up and going!! Come on PMDG... Lets have a little service after the sale!

Okay I will tone it down just a bit. I don't like this policy at all but I must say that I just got a response and my 777 is now downloading. I was afraid I would have to wait a day or two before this got fixed. So... thanks PMDG for getting me going! Now, please think about trashing this silly nickle and dime act known as extended download!

Thanks!

If Sam Walton had ran his first Wal-Mart like this I guarantee that non of us would have ever hear of him or his store! I have purchase the goofy $5 extended service but I just sit here now waiting for some one there to respond.

I very much doubt Sam Walton had people asking for a second version of a product for free because they'd purchased it before...

I still have my email where it said my code would last for 365 days on the 777. It has not been a year. I have purchased the 747, md11, and the 777. I am a great customer! Now I have purchased a $5 extended service plan and I still am not up and going!! Come on PMDG... Lets have a little service after the sale!

If you'd mentioned that before buying it, I'm sure they would've honored that, actually.

As it stands, links are good for 7 days. There was some reason they set it to 365 - I forget what it was, but it was only supposed to be temporary.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, 

Don't let them off so easy. If your droid or iPhone crashes do you have to re-purchase all of your paid apps? Of course not, its just digital media that wont work without the activation code. They could do better than this.

David Hopkins

Kyle,

I just noticed that you were the one that got my code to me. Thanks! I didn't know that you worked for PMDG. I must say that the Planes are awesome! I do hope that you guys consider my comments when reviewing your policies. I am generally not one to complain but loosing everything on my computer and finding that my backup was not working, the last thing I wanted to hear was that I could not download the purchases I had made.

Happy Flying

Hopkins 

I guess I have this right? Kyle, are you scandinavian13? Sorry if I have made a mistake. I very seldom post on these, or any other boards.