Sign in to follow this  
madsaint

Prepar3d v2.4 low fps in vc, new gpu?

tried flying some areas. When I take from CEN4 (orbx scenery) (high river) with beech baron (default) I have 30 to 35 fps. Same fps at LOWI with that same aircraft. I then switched to aerosft Twotter and it still held up at around 27 fps. Taking off from Flesland with Bergen x scenery takes me back to 14 fps again.
I had gpu-z running and the average load on the card is about 50% and on the cpu around 70%.
With 1080p you mean the res of 5720 to 1080?

No, I'm running at 1920x1080 - only got the one screen at the moment - think 3 would make my radeon melt - hence the interest in the 970!  Only other adds-on I didn't mention before that I have were A2A 172 trainer and Rex Essentials + OD.  As mentioned autogen is at dense. water, clouds, shadows etc are round about low-medium.  30-40 around LOWI with aa @ 4x MSAA.

Are those frame rates you mention above from 5720 x 1080?  Its surprising that there is so little difference in FPS between 1 screen and 3 screens for you - its not what I'd expect but I've never tried it! Perhaps your CPU is the limiting factor. 

well, the a2a 182 is a real fps killer, that's a fact on my system. I have to say I used the migration tool to install it, but I dont know if that makes any difference.
I also tried fsx with the mgx pmdg 737-800 at Schiphol (aersoft amsterdam scenery) and I do see some noticeable improvement in fps here. Even with all sliders on max it still runs smooth where it didnt before. So well, maybe it's cpu indeed, I truly dont know anymore! :)

edit: yes those frames are at 5720 x 1080. Indeed not a lot of difference when i switch to 1920 x 1080.

Well, add on aircrafts don't hurt my FPS too bad in P3D but they're a killer in FSX.  Trying to find bottlenecks and tweaking settings can send a person insane so take care!  Hope you settle on something you're comfortable with - I'm more on the fence than before about whether to go for one now (but I still prob will!).

Well, overall I do see some performance increase on my system, so it's not a total letdown. I just expected a bit more than that 2 fps win ;) It might turn out different on your system, it cant make it any worse! Good luck, and keep me updated on your progress if you whant!

Yeah, looks like you got it.   That video card of yours is your draw back in P3D which uses a lot more GPU power than FSX did. GTX 970 will do wonders for you.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I don't know your level of knowledge with computer hardware installations, especially with a GPU swap so correct me if I'm wrong but I want to make sure you have done these few things.

As per NVIDIA's instructions to install a new GPU, you should first uninstall your current GPU drivers. Once that is done, and obviously your screen resolution is now wacky, shut down your computer. Once the computer is shut down, remove your old GPU and install your new one. Start the computer up and install NVIDIA's latest drivers. This should clear everything your computer had remembered about your old GPU and start fresh with your new one.

Then you should navigate to x:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders and delete the files in this folder and new ones will be compiled the next time you start P3D.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

@ PWJT8D You, my friend, are my personal hero! Indeed I swapped the cards and updated the drivers assuming that was the correct way (there where only instructions on how to install the hardware).
I now installed it again with your instructions and FPS are now doubled, with even the NGX 737 at aerosoft Amsterdam  at a reasonable 17 fps at the gate,and the a2a C182 at an average of 30 fps at payware airports with all settings on default.
Again, thank you very much!!!!

Your very welcome. Enjoy P3D!

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?