Sign in to follow this  
Steingassner

Sim Connect missing!

Hi there!

Well, I know this is a very discussed topic and even though I've been in FSX for over 5 years I hadn't had this problem until now and I don't even know how it started. 

I had a little problem with certain addon and searching everywhere for a solution I read from a very reliable source that it had to do with SimConnect, that the easiest solution would be to repair the installation and different versions of SimConnect. I tried doing it directly in the Program and Features tool of my Win8 and it did not work. I tried it by repairing SP1 and SP2 but it didn't work- I tried everything I saw and the problem was still there. One of the steps that I read was to DELETE manually the x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect .... folders located on C:\Windows\winsxs\.

I'm afraid I did it without backing them up and didn't think about it anymore. I tried to repair and re-install everything following those instructions and at the end the problem was still there. So I decided to go on a complete overhaul of FSX. I uninstalled every single addon and finally FSX. It set everything up to do a fresh install and did it but as I finished I realized that the folders I deleted in C:\Windows\winsxs\ weren't there. They did not install again, neither SimConnect in the system did. I tried a lot of solutions without success. 

I managed to get the different versions of Simconnect "installed" but the folders with the Simconnect.dll files aren't there. I don't know where I can find them o replace them. I don't want to make a new install because I just did it and it didn't help at all. 

It affects obviously everything and I don't know what else to do! I thought maybe I can get the names of the folders somewhere and make new ones manually and then find the .dll files and put them there but I don't really know if that's even possible. In my Programs and Features tool I see three versions of SimConnect: 905, 242 and 259 but the files in C:\Windows\winsxs\ are missing! 

I hope somebody can help me somehow. Thank you all!!! 

I hope somebody can help me somehow

I would not worry about it as they probably were not used by any of the addons you have installed. When you install FSX RTM, SP1, and SP2/Acceleration (SP2 is not needed if you have Acceleration), simconnect.dll will be installed. Now, some addons will install their versions in the proper directories when you install those programs. Like ASN, or OPUS, or REX weather or any program that needs to interact with SimConnect.

You did good by deleting all those windows/winsxs folders. Not needed. When you uninstall FSX and all of FSX addons, it's good to clean out everything related to FSX. I would have done the same thing. Usually though, when you uninstall a program that used that simconnect version, it will remove that entry too but then, FSX and FSX addons do not uninstall properly and a lot is left over after an uninstall, especially in the hidden folders.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I would not worry about it as they probably were not used by any of the addons you have installed. When you install FSX RTM, SP1, and SP2/Acceleration (SP2 is not needed if you have Acceleration), simconnect.dll will be installed. Now, some addons will install their versions in the proper directories when you install those programs. Like ASN, or OPUS, or REX weather or any program that needs to interact with SimConnect.

You did good by deleting all those windows/winsxs folders. Not needed. When you uninstall FSX and all of FSX addons, it's good to clean out everything related to FSX. I would have done the same thing. Usually though, when you uninstall a program that used that simconnect version, it will remove that entry too but then, FSX and FSX addons do not uninstall properly and a lot is left over after an uninstall, especially in the hidden folders.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Hi! 

Thank you for answering. I installed ASN on my new fresh installation of FSX and I get a message concerning a problem with Sim Connect. It says "unable to load any managed SimConnect interface. Simulator connectivity is not possible. Please check you simulator/SimConnect installation"

And when I try to instal FSUIPC it gives me this error "Your FSX Installation is incorrect! The version of SimConnect installed will not run FSUIPC4. You may need to repair the installation to rectify this first" But I just installed everything from zero so I don't quite understand what I did wrong. And haven't try whit my other addons but I guess I'll have similar problems. Any Idea what could be the problem? 

Thank you!! 

Any Idea what could be the problem?

According to the Internet, deleting files from the winsxs folder may severely damage your system. Evidently, in a repair, these folders will not be regenerated. You will have to completely uninstall fsx and reinstall FSX (I know you stated you did this already but you probably didn't get FSX completely uninstalled). I recommend the following uninstall/reinstall guide - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx . I would also run a registry cleaner once the uninstall is complete.

If you have a restore point, I wonder if you could go back to before you did the deleting and restore your system that way?

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I recommend the following uninstall/reinstall guide - http://support.preci...nstall-fsx.aspx . I would also run a registry cleaner once the uninstall is complete.

If you have a restore point, I wonder if you could go back to before you did the deleting and restore your system that way?

Hi Jim! Well I don't have a restore point to go back to so I guess that's not possible. When I first uninstalled FSX I followed that guide as I knew it wasn't just clicking uninstall, so that was already done. 

Could you or someone else explain me how to do run a registry cleaner? I have never done that. 

I know it is a big mistake to delete those folders. I learned it when it was already too late. The SimConnect versions appear in my Add/delete programs tool as I said but those folders are not coming back. I am trying something new: 

I uninstalled FSX again on my main computer. I will install it on a second computer, then I'll look for those folders and .dll files, copy them and install FSX in my main computer again, do the same and at the end copy the folders and files into windows/winsxs. I hope doing this that roughly will work out. 

Thank you! 

Edit: No need to explain about the registry cleaner anymore. It just downloaded one and I'll give it a try 

• Upvote 1