Sign in to follow this  
StoreyedTrain

Extreme amount of registry keys

I`m uninstalling P3D to upgrade and was just looking through the registry and had a little surprise.

I`m using this registry manager, it`s free and ahell of alot better than MS`s native thingy.

http://www.resplendence.com/download/RegistrarHomeV7.exe (free version)

http://www.resplendence.com/registrar

I`ve had some extra airplanes and scenery installed to both FSX and to P3D, since i only deleted the folder containing FSX`s installation all the regkeys were still there.

So i searched for two locations

1st E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Which gave me a result of 1438 regkeys found. (quite much already)

2nd E:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

Which gave me a result of 42297 regkeys found.  :o  

It seems that every .bgl and every .bmp and every .dds file and others are registered in the registry.

My simple question is , WHY.  :huh: 

What is it`s benefit of throwing every request through the registry, i can`t imagine that is its purpose, i can also not imagine it is the most efficient. (how to waste CPU time)

(how to waste CPU time)

Do you really think that counts for a modern system?

Spirit

How do you search for bmp files, for example, in the registry?

Just another example of bloatware.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

the OP hasn't explained how we can check the number of files in the registry

the OP hasn't explained how we can check the number of files in the registry

Yes i have,

http://www.resplendence.com/registrar

With this registry editor you can search and it will not show 1 find at a time but put all searchresults in a list.

http://cdn.ghacks.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/registry-search.jpg

(value name matches)

Do you really think that counts for a modern system?

Spirit

Multiple programs/services are accessing the registry at the same time, i cannot imagine that that is helping performance in any way.

The registry has been misused from day-one.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Yeah I'd really like to hear a developer's opinion on why they use so many thousands of registry entries or from anyone on a possible good design decision to do that.  It's really only intended to save off configuration and program option information, primarily at the point of installation.  No reason for all that junk.

Yes i have,

No. Your second link is no more than part of  your first one. Both are advertising.

I can't see any .bgl , .bmp or .dds files in the links you gave.

No. Your second link is no more than part of  your first one. Both are advertising.

I can't see any .bgl , .bmp or .dds files in the links you gave.

I`m not advertising :wacko: , i`m just showing a program that can show the amount of regkeys that certain programs use since the windows native regedit cannot do this.

If you would look with A program like i suggested you would see what i mean with " .bgl , .bmp or .dds" files.

The keys in the registry are registering every file in from your P3D installation as a separate package rather than like other games all files as a whole or a couple packages.

I`ve currently deleted/uninstalled all these entries so i cannot show you.

I`m waiting with reinstalling till 2.5 or until i know 2.5 is still going to take a long time.

(In the mean time i`m appropriating my joystick for other purposes.)  :happy: 

Those who muck around with the registry with limited knowledge generally wind up reinstalling windows.

Your concern is unfounded. Take a program like process monitor and have it display in real time all the messages that windows is receiving, just while sitting idle. The effect of those registry entries is almost non existent. If you really can tell the difference between a 3 nanosecond delay and a 5 nanosecond delay - then it might annoy you.

What you are seeing is not at all Uncommon - most software makes ample use of the registry for storing settings, file locations, last access, etc.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Vics right. Those entries dont make a bit of difference in performance or disk space. Trying to eliminate would be far more dangerous then them being there. if it ain broke dont fix it ers!

I`m not advertising :wacko:

I never were said you were advertising - simply that you quoted an advert - that doesn't support your claim. 

But you still have no other evidence to support your claim.

Those who muck around with the registry with limited knowledge...

Which is why i'm not going to muck about with an application I don't know about.