Sign in to follow this  
bva_davis

What if?

Ok this may be silly and if so please bear with me.   I am a big fan of radar contact and as such have made it my #1 ATC for my flight sim.  As such I have seen where version 5 is now laid to rest and no more will be done.  I am sadden by this but understand why. As a software developer myself I know all too well the demands that are put on your shoulders., As such I have one question.  

1,  hat would happen to radar contact if we could no longer register the program as a result of say the team putting the whole program to bed. or jd stops doing registrations.  I hope not for he has done a very good job with it., But if this was to be the case and you could no longer register the program then what.  $45.00 wasted or will he offer you a fix to allow you to use the program without registration.  If not then I will have to look for another atc program to take it;'s place.

I ask as I have been seeing some signs on the forums that this may soon come to pass.  If not then no problems.

I don't think you need to be concerned. Development ceased on v5 some years ago but that has had no bearing on v4 support including issuing new registrations when necessary.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I understand why the RC development team don't wish to take v5 any further. However I cannot understand why all the hard work done on it is allowed to go to waste. Why not negotiate with another software developer to buy the code as developed so far, for them to take the development further?

The RC team would benefit from the capital raised and we flight simmers would benefit eventually from a v5.

Iain Smith

Iain,

You make a valid point. Just to clarify John Dekker was the sole programmer and Doug Thompson the ATC expert. Not sure if Doug has any input on the company - JDTLLC - but you could write to JD at the address he gives in a topic locked at the top of this forum and make the suggestion.

I have no financial gain from sales. I was purely a beta tester who also made suggestions during development as did many of those in the team. I'm sure a revamped v5 with SID/STAR capability would prove popular.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'm pretty sure Doug is a partner, at least in jdtllc it includes his name :)

John

Dekker

Doug

Thompson

llc - limited liability corporation

If v5 is scrapped for good, it'd be nice if JD could consult or offer some assistance to the guys over at Pointsoft developing Pro-ATC/X. They're really onto something over there, but the program does still need some work. If RC and Pro-ATC/X joined forces, they could really make a solid product. 

Ian,

Perhaps you've overlooked the fact that RC4 is still selling so why on earth would JD help a competitor resulting in reduced sales of RCv4?

Feel free to describe what aspects of v4 don't make it a 'solid product'. :rolleyes:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Feel free to describe what aspects of v4 don't make it a 'solid product

Solid as it gets. Best ATC software so far

Vernon Howells

RC4 is certainly an excellent product, but there's always room for improvement.

I would particularly like a progressive taxi facility, which was apparently going to be available in RC5.

With the greatest respect to JD, it seems a pity that we are all missing out on any further features...