Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Approach flaps setting sequence

Landing with flaps 30 - when will you select flaps 30 from 15

Landing with flaps 40 - when will you select flaps 25, 30 to 40

My standard procedure here is "flaps 5", "Landing Gear down, flaps 15, final descent checklist", "flaps "flaps 30" (or 40).

How soon will you select the next flap setting when on approach?

Vernon Howells

Landing with flaps 30 - when will you select flaps 30 from 15

Landing with flaps 40 - when will you select flaps 25, 30 to 40

My standard procedure here is "flaps 5", "Landing Gear down, flaps 15, final descent checklist", "flaps "flaps 30" (or 40).

How soon will you select the next flap setting when on approach?

Most busy airports will give you a speed for traffic, to a certain fix or DME. In the interest of fuel savings, we use the least flaps that will give you a maneuvering speed below the speed restriction.

There is also the stabilized approach criteria that you should have your final flaps selected by 1000' AGL. I put the last bit of flaps out at about 1400' so there's time to do the checklist, avoid any interruptions, etc.

If there is something special going on (shear, storms, tailwind, etc) that requires extra attention, I'll put flaps our earlier, just so I can remove that from the equation.

I'd have to look, but I think in my Asian airline experience, we needed to be fully configured by the FAF.

This will vary airline to airline and even base to base.

So - don't waste fuel, don't bust speed restrictions, don't go past 1000'.

• Upvote 1

Matt Cee

Hi spin you are correct. In IMC you want to be fully configured by 1000 AGL and VMC 500 AGL

Many airports in the UK want you 160kts from D8 - 4 so thats basically flaps 15 gear down at D4 low power low drag procedure. But after selecting f15 at D4 how quick will i select f30 after f15....

Vernon Howells

Hi spin you are correct. In IMC you want to be fully configured by 1000 AGL and VMC 500 AGL

Many airports in the UK want you 160kts from D8 - 4 so thats basically flaps 15 gear down at D4 low power low drag procedure. But after selecting f15 at D4 how quick will i select f30 after f15....

I'd say follow the flaps schedule and speed limitations when slowing down to Vref. 

The SWA 737 I've that I have been a pax into KHOU Hobby will often keep the speed and flaps up until 8-10 miles then slow with about flaps 5 then go to full landing configuration (flaps 30) at or near FAF. That shoves you a little into your belt but it's not that bad.  We have both -500 and -700 models on that route and my memory is not good so it could have been either variation.

Dan Downs KCRP

From the FCTM:

During flap extension, selection of the flaps to the next flap position should be
made when approaching, and before decelerating below, the maneuver speed for
the existing flap position.

My company adds "within 10 knots" of the existing flap position. These are "shoulds."

Or use the amber band on the speedtape to guide you. The speedtape band doesn't use 25, however since it's not a Boeing configuration for landing. It just goes 1-5-15-30, IIRC.

Matt Cee

Hi,

according with the SOPs of a real airline i'm using : 1-5 (intercept the localizer) gear down 15-30 or 15-30-40 depending on final configuration.

if ATC permits SOPS require flaps 5 i.e. 180 kts gear up until 6 miles..(fuel saving/noise abatement).

Flaps 10 are considered only to add drag (if you're high or if i.e. glide slope is >3° i.e. LIRN rwy 24) . Staying till flaps 10 you can use also speedbrakes to slow down/descent at the same time...

Best

Andrea B.

Hi Vernon

Also take a look at my YouTube Channel on the 737NGX -- specifically how to fly a perfect ILS approach -- I cover exactly when to put the flaps out starting from 0 to landing flaps. Keep in mind I follow the Boeing ILS standard procedures.

My YouTube Channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/user/rfresh1011

Don't think anyone gets what i'm trying to get across here.

I know how to put out flaps and all ILS and airports procedures differ.

But my real question is after asking for f15 when do you move to f30? 5 sec 10 sec? Do you actually get what i'm asking here...

Vernon Howells

Here is the Boeing standard that I use. It will answer your question: item 5.

1. Approaching localizer intercept heading:
   Flaps 1 (Vref + 50).
   Flaps 5 (vref + 30).
2. On localizer intercept heading:
   ILS tuned and identified.
   LOC and GS pointers shown.
   Call out "Localizer alive".
   When "Cleared for the approach" arm APP.
   Second AP CMD.
3. Localizer Capture
   Set final approach course heading on MCP.
4. Glide Slope Alive.
   Call out "Glide slope alive".
   Gear down.
   Flaps 15 (Vref + 20).
   Arm speekbrake.
5. Glide Slope Intercept
   Landing flaps (Vref + 5).
   Set missed approach altitude.
   Do the landing checklist.
   Short Final Call Outs
Crossing FAF Fix Name.
   Altitude checks - No flags.

Doesn't Matter - those steps are the same for a coupled approach or hand flown approach...the answer to your question is still in step 5.

Yes, you can use any ILS SOP you wish...I was just giving you the Boeing standard. I don't know what other carriers do. But pick an ILS procedure to follow and use it.

Don't think anyone gets what i'm trying to get across here.

I know how to put out flaps and all ILS and airports procedures differ.

But my real question is after asking for f15 when do you move to f30? 5 sec 10 sec? Do you actually get what i'm asking here...

Most busy airports will give you a speed for traffic, to a certain fix or DME. In the interest of fuel savings, we use the least flaps that will give you a maneuvering speed below the speed restriction.

There is also the stabilized approach criteria that you should have your final flaps selected by 1000' AGL. I put the last bit of flaps out at about 1400' so there's time to do the checklist, avoid any interruptions, etc.

If there is something special going on (shear, storms, tailwind, etc) that requires extra attention, I'll put flaps our earlier, just so I can remove that from the equation.

I'd have to look, but I think in my Asian airline experience, we needed to be fully configured by the FAF.

This will vary airline to airline and even base to base.

So - don't waste fuel, don't bust speed restrictions, don't go past 1000'.

I get what you're saying. That's why I wrote this. ^^^^^^

Go to landing flaps after F15,  and before 1,0000ft. That's your limits. Beyond that, it's what I wrote above.

Matt Cee