Sign in to follow this  
Carob

Flightplans... FS9 --> FSX

So, after communicating with a few people, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to convert FS9 flightplans to FSX format.  I know they are different but I don't know exactly how.  I remember that it wasn't good to just use them directly and that modifications needed to be made.  But, how those modifications get done is what I'm not sure about.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Also, what is the disadvantage of using the same AI aircraft?  I know there have been a few AI models supposedly made specifically made for FSX which means there must be a reason for that.  I just don't know if it's worth trying to redo everything.  Any answers on that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the actual differences between flight plans in FS9 and FSX formats, but I guess they are marginal (otherwise they would most likely not be backward compatible). However, there must be a difference, because - and that's the problem, if you will - a single FS9 format flight plan will force FSX to display only traffic based on FS9 flightplans, so all your "FSX traffic" is removed. This means that as long as you use only FS9 format flight plans, you wouldn't have any problems with that at all - it's just mixing that doesn't work.

As for the models, I think the main difference is that FSX can theoretically handle higher polygon models, unless I'm mistaken. This is not an issue with the rather low quality AI models, though, as high-detail models cost performance. Another thing I can think of,though, is that FSX renders models a bit differently, so optimizing models might be different as well.

Another difference is that FS9 flighplans are numbered differently to start on different days of the week. If I recall, FS9 starts on Sunday using 0, and FSX starts on Mondays using 1. So, essentially having different start days and numbers could result in traffic showing up on different days or not at all in some cases.

Probably better to just use AIFPC to convert the to FSX rather than chance problems. Or just buy UT2 or MTX that is made for FSX and you won't have to do anything.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Another difference is that FS9 flighplans are numbered differently to start on different days of the week. If I recall, FS9 starts on Sunday using 0, and FSX starts on Mondays using 1. So, essentially having different start days and numbers could result in traffic showing up on different days or not at all in some cases.

Probably better to just use AIFPC to convert the to FSX rather than chance problems. Or just buy UT2 or MTX that is made for FSX and you won't have to do anything.

That sounds familiar.  That's probably what I remember seeing.

I don't see an AIFPC utility in the Library.  Can you point me to it?

I did find this one though...  fs2ktop3d_v100.zip