Sign in to follow this  
sd75lover

fsx.cfg

can anyone help me whenever I try to modify, delete or tweak my fsx.cfg it says access is denied

oh yeah and when I try to start fsx it syas cannot write fsx.cfg

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "Flight Simulator Tips and Tricks" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

also make sure the folder is not set to read only

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

And start FSX by clicking right and choosing "Run as Administrator" from the menu. Can be configured to start that way every time by changing the property/security settings for the fsx.exe file or for its respective desktop shortcut.

There is never a need to run anything "As Administrator".

I can edit my  FSX.ccg with no problems.

FSX is in C:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

FSX.cfg is  C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX.

I have  the highest level of UAC on and don't run as Adminstrator

There is never a need to run anything "As Administrator".

I could be wrong   if you got your fsx installed in you (86)   folder than you might have issues, so why do all the devs  says install   and run your programs  as admin  just for  the heck of it.  Must be  a reason other wise why would  they keep saying too.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Must be a reason other wise why would they keep saying too.

Urban myth?

so why do all the devs  says install   and run your programs  as admin

Can you point to any of these developers that say this?

The confusion stems from misunderstanding the way Windows protects files and folders from changes. Program Files folders do not give write and modify permissions to the Users group. When we log onto windows we become members of the Users Group. The problems come when developers install their programs into the FSX program files directory, and the program, or plane need to write or modify files in those directories, they should have been given folders outside of that directory for those tasks, or their own subdirectories should have been set up with the correct permissions during the install. Installs are run as Admin since they need to make changes to the permissions. The reason this came about was because WinXP gave Users Group write and Modify permissions on the Program Files folders, and developers failed to spot they, and their customers were already running as Admins. Since Vista, ordinary users no longer get write permissions to program files. It's an easy job to assign Write and Modify permissions for the Users Group on the FSX program files folder and clears up 99% of problems requiring admins. Whereas it's a lot more trouble to keep running as admin, and leaves the system prone to malware. Instead of running as admin, set proper permissions for the user. But what is going on with Benjamin's system? He should automatically get write permission to his own folders...

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

True, but the OP has problems with FSX.cfg, which is not in the program file directories.

That's what I inferred >> "what is going on with Benjamin's system? He should automatically get write permission to his own folders..."

Could be "C:\Users\<Benjamin>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX" somehow does not now belong to Benjamin after some kind of profile mixup.

FSX.cfg, which is not in the program file directories.

...and next time I get stuck on something to do with FSX, I'll PM you Gerry.

What the OP can do is look at the current permissions for "C:\Users\<Benjamin>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX" and see that the current logged on user exists in those permissions.

...and next time I get stuck on something to do with FSX, I'll PM you Gerry.

I'm always happy to help.