Sign in to follow this  
vonduck

How to make additional joystick buttons

Hi guys,

A questions if you please...

I am using Jeehell software for my A320 and currently have a joystick being used for various buttons on the FCU etc...

There are not enough buttons as you can imagine.. so my question is (as the software does not support keyboard entries) how could i construct something, say a panel, with many buttons on it and then i could assign those to the software?

Not really sure where to go with this or what to look for but should imagine someone somewhere has had the same problem?

thanks for any help!

regards

Doug

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Are You Guys talking about a " KEYBOARD " ??? :rolleyes: :lol:

Johnman

Why yes...yes I believe I WOULD be interested.

AvSim is deleting my YouTube link references!!!

Posted right here...Enjoy! ----> <---------if there is nothing between the arrows, Avsim deleted it!!!!!

...AGAIN!!

#####?!?!!

Chas

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Intrigued...yes...yes...young Jedi....there is no try...just do!

Thanks Avsim for deleting the most vital bit of info needed! Yikes!

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

IMO one of the easiest solutions is a Leo Bodnar Button Box Interface BBI-32  in conjunction with a registered copy of FSUIPC  VERY easy to set up and use.  His BUO836X card is also excellent if you want some additional axis controls etc.  (Recommend the ones that have connectors so no soldering needed at the card)

With a bit of wire and some switches you can create anything from basic switch boxes to complete panels.  They are awesome for DIY panels I have three BUO836x cards and a BBI that work flawlessly.  Great Service and very fast shipping too.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/

RE Thomason Jr.

IMO one of the easiest solutions is a Leo Bodnar Button Box Interface BBI-32  in conjunction with a registered copy of FSUIPC  VERY easy to set up and use.  His BUO836X card is also excellent if you want some additional axis controls etc.  (Recommend the ones that have connectors so no soldering needed at the card)

With a bit of wire and some switches you can create anything from basic switch boxes to complete panels.  They are awesome for DIY panels I have three BUO836x cards and a BBI that work flawlessly.  Great Service and very fast shipping too.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/

Well thank you Blaze for the reply... I did see someone else mentioned that particular item on another site... it does look good indeed but i am afraid that my electrical skills wont cut the mustard! I have a registered copy of FSUIPC and am a bit familiar with how to use it to some extent..

You mentioned connectors so no soldering needed... this sounds good but what exactly do you mean? I am imagining myself constructing some kind of housing and wiring up all these switches for windows to recognize then assigning them via FSUIPC... thing is using Jeehell software some of the commands in FSUIPC wont work so i guess LUA scripts would be needed?

I do like the idea of making a panel.. then it could fit my desk top environment perfectly...

Are there instructions for what you have outlined Blaze?

Many thanks for your input matey!

Regards

Doug

Doug 

Don't worry about electrical skills you don't need any, zip, zero, zilch!  You don't even have to solder if you buy blade connectors to fit your switches. 

I'll see if I can find some instructions for you but it's very easy even without.

for example the BBI-32 with connectors...

You buy the card and plug it into your computer with a usb cable windows will see it as a HID device just like a joystick.

Buy some switches at Radio Shack or Mouser or even Autozone and some small gauge wire (I think I used 22 gauge solid core for most of my switches)  Solid core isn't as flexible as stranded but makes pushing it into the cards connectors easier.  Connect the wire to the switch and plug the other ends into the card...done.

Just like  a joystick you can test the connection in windows.  Flip your new hardware switch and the corresponding slot in the card you plugged it into should illuminate on your windows device calibration screen.  Then simply assign a command to it like you would any other joystick button using FSUIPC or the P3d/FSX controller menu.  

More later gotta go to work....

RE Thomason Jr.

Top man Blaze... did some you tubing and found someone who had set one up... as you say is very easy!  Been checking the local electronic store and they have passable switches but will probably go for something a little more authentic...

Have a fun day at work mate!

Doug 

There's always the commercial option too if you really just desire plug and play?  Something like VRInsight or Go Flight panels. 

The difference being the ability to select your own switch style and layout.  Some cost savings as well but when you factor in supplies (unique switches can be expensive) and your time it's not as big as you would think. Cost savings is more apparent when comparing to a basic design like a Go Flight P8,T8 or RP48 board.  I can build four similar units with one BBI/Buo386x and the cost of the switches, wire and, my time, that is a significant savings.

Commercial Options...

http://www.vrinsightshop.com/shop/step1.php?number=9

http://www.vrinsightshop.com/shop/step1.php?number=8&b_code=B20111116043722

http://www.goflightinc.com/collections/modules/products/gf-rp48-push-button-rotary

http://www.goflightinc.com/collections/modules/products/gf-p8-push-button-module

RE Thomason Jr.

Posted right here...Enjoy! ----> <---------if there is nothing between the arrows, Avsim deleted it!!!!!

...AGAIN!!

#####?!?!!

Chas

Copy this exactly, and paste it as a Google search...it will get you there

Almost Aviation "Home cockpit build part -1"

AvSim needs to answer for this travesty

Chas

Doug ... because Chas has had some issues I would merely refer you to my signature.  Voice control can take over many aspects of flight and a scripting facility is also included to enhance the program's usefulness to you by customisation.

Unlike others a great deal of latitude/flexibility is inbuilt so you don't have to be super precise in 'triggering' actions.  A free demo is available.  If you wish to investigate further they have a forum here at AVSIM ... under Commercial.  Videos of operation with various aircraft are available on YT ... just search on David Herky.  I think you'll be impressed.  Certainly you may find some 'extra' joystick buttons.  Also works wonderfully in P3D v2.

Disclaimer: Apart from being a (very) satisfied user of the program I have absolutely no connection with them.

Doug ... because Chas has had some issues I would merely refer you to my signature.  

...[/i]

To what issue are you alluding, sir?

Chas

To what issue are you alluding, sir?

...AGAIN!!

AvSim needs to answer for this travesty

I didn't want to suffer the same fate.  ^_^