Sign in to follow this  
Fi5kuS

VC shadows in Majestic Dash 8 Q400

I cant seem to find any information on this. In Prepar3D there is cockpit shadows for sure, but what about FSX DX10?

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I'm thinking like this type of cockpit shadows, not the reflection on the panels when the aircraft is turning. Do you have this?

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Did you read the DX10 fixer manual on enabling aircraft shadows?

Is aircraft shadows enabled in FSX? The default Maule aircraft is a good check to see if it is.

If the Maule shows interior shadows,

You have to make changed to the interior model file of the Dash-8 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Did you read the DX10 fixer manual on enabling aircraft shadows?

Is aircraft shadows enabled in FSX? The default Maule aircraft is a good check to see if it is.

If the Maule shows interior shadows,

You have to make changed to the interior model file of the Dash-8 

I don't own the Majestic Dash Q400. I just want to make sure if I buy it. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

They won't be as strong as the Prepar3D install 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

They only work in P3D. The dash and main panel shadows don't show in FSX with Steves dx10 fixer. They work everywhere else in the cockpit like the seats for example… this is with the interior model fix.

They only work in P3D. The dash and main panel shadows don't show in FSX with Steves dx10 fixer. They work everywhere else in the cockpit like the seats for example… this is with the interior model fix.

Thanks! I tried the "activate VC Shadows" function with the DX10 fixer, but it only gives me some weird shadows over the panels. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I think the majestic dash issue is legacy so built with fs8 sdk.

I would start with force vc walls from the shadow dialog leave hd shadows off initially, set ForceVCShadowMap in fsx.cfg and the tick the two shadows options in the legacy dialog and see how it goes. But remember not to leave these settings set on with other aircraft.

Slightly of topic, if that is what the clouds look like in P3D v2.3, no thanks. Scenery is great though.

I would start with force vc walls from the shadow dialog leave hd shadows off initially, set ForceVCShadowMap in fsx.cfg and the tick the two shadows options in the legacy dialog and see how it goes. But remember not to leave these settings set on with other aircraft.

Wait, so you're saying that you CAN get shadows working on the main panel? 

I am a suggesting that the settings above maximise the chances of getting a legacy aircraft to work - I don't have the dash 8.

I am a suggesting that the settings above maximise the chances of getting a legacy aircraft to work - I don't have the dash 8.

Did not work, sorry.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Hi again! For some reason I now get VC shadows when un-ticking the box called "Force VC Shadows". I saw someone having trouble getting VC shadows in the Piper PA-28 and this helped. So I tried it in the Majestic Dash Q400 as well and it worked. But, I'm not quite sure whether the shadows I'm observing are "correct". Seems to be a lot of stuff such as wires, spots etc moving across the whole cockpit. I can post pictures if desirable. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Steve, correct me if I'm wrong but the FSX SDK would deliver two separate model files, one for the externals and one for the VC, right?

If that's the case, the new Q400 (mind you, they also offer a fairly old Q300, maybe you had that one in mind) offers both and I confirm that she shows shadows in the VC with your fine fixer tool and no legacy options ticket. Just like any FSX aircraft.

Seems to be a lot of stuff such as wires, spots etc moving across the whole cockpit.

Try enabling 'force VC Walls', that should cure the shadows coming from the overhead buttons and dials. You can leave that enabled for all aircraft from my experience. No downside so far.