Sign in to follow this  

Correct TOGA Usage?

I have recently started using TOGA for take off thrust setting....So I advance the throttles to 51% as per manual, press the screw on the MCP, or the TOGA button on the throttle, then the thrust seems to go to the max thrust setting - then retard to around 70%??? why does this happen.??? I have to then manually control thrust as I was doing anyway, on the takeoff roll.

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

Maybe you have set "A/T overforce always" or something along these lines in the FMC and the power lever on your joystick is not completely pushed forward? 

I also want the A/T to disconnect when I move my Joystick throttle, from the options In the below FMC pic I cant set it to do that. I either have to Control the throttle manually all the time if set to the below. 2 Problems in play here :(

This is what I have it set at currently

FMC.png?dl=0

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

why does this happen.???

Have a look at the top left of the PFD at about 80 knots. The Autothrottle mode will drop to HOLD.

Now, put that together with the screenshot you just posted ("IN HOLD MODE ONLY") and you'll have your answer of why it's doing what it's doing.

For more, see here:

I also want the A/T to disconnect when I move my Joystick throttle

The real one doesn't do that (and it wouldn't be correct of you to do so anyway - you shouldn't be disconnecting the A/P in this way either). Just set up an A/T disconnect button:

Kyle Rodgers

I also want the A/T to disconnect when I move my Joystick throttle, from the options In the below FMC pic I cant set it to do that. I either have to Control the throttle manually all the time if set to the below. 2 Problems in play here :(

This is what I have it set at currently

What Kyle said. Plus, the recommended advice for TOGA in the PMDG 777 is to move the throttle to maximum after selecting TOGA. That way if it decides to adopt your hardware throttle position in HOLD mode that will be above the A/T demand setting so you won't get an uncommanded roll-back.

Similarly when you descend it's advised that you put the hardware throttle to idle. If you don't you might end up descending in HOLD mode with too much power set. None of this applies to the real 777 of course, just this sim.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Have a look at the top left of the PFD at about 80 knots. The Autothrottle mode will drop to HOLD.

Now, put that together with the screenshot you just posted ("IN HOLD MODE ONLY") and you'll have your answer of why it's doing what it's doing.

For more, see here:

The real one doesn't do that (and it wouldn't be correct of you to do so anyway - you shouldn't be disconnecting the A/P in this way either). Just set up an A/T disconnect button:

Thanks a lot Kyle and thepilot - followed your instructions to bind a key to my Cyborg Evo, think that's all I need :) P.S Wheres your COOL PMDG Tech Team Signature lol.

What Kyle said. Plus, the recommended advice for TOGA in the PMDG 777 is to move the throttle to maximum after selecting TOGA. That way if it decides to adopt your hardware throttle position in HOLD mode that will be above the A/T demand setting so you won't get an uncommanded roll-back.

Similarly when you descend it's advised that you put the hardware throttle to idle. If you don't you might end up descending in HOLD mode with too much power set. None of this applies to the real 777 of course, just this sim.

Thanks Kevin I will try that also. :)

spacer.png

Thanks a lot Kyle and thepilot - followed your instructions to bind a key to my Cyborg Evo, think that's all I need :) P.S Wheres your COOL PMDG Tech Team Signature lol.

You're welcome. I just haven't gotten around to messing with my signature yet.

Kyle Rodgers

What I do is turn on the option that shows the physical throttle position as a blue arc on the EICAS N1 display. Upon pressing TOGA, I move the physical throttle to maximum and then before the thrust mode goes to HOLD, I move the blue arc back down to match the actual takeoff N1 setting. When it goes to hold, nothing will happen then even if you have noise in your controller that would make it jump up to maximum if you still had it set there. This mirrors how the real throttles work - they always move in concert with the A/T commands except when in HOLD mode, where the servo disconnects and allows the pilots to reposition them manually if needed.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com