I'm getting ready to pull the plug on a new GTX 970, but it seems that no matter what manufacturer or model I pick, people are complaining about coil whine. Is it that big a problem and has anyone here, experienced it? At first I thought it must be just a few people, screaming the loudest, but the fact it seems to be spread across a wide variety of manufacturer's has me wondering.

Coil whine is indeed a more common problem with the GTX 970 and 980 than other cards, one only needs to Google: gtx 970 coil whine

I never experienced any coil whine with any card myself in about 30 years of computing, but then again, I never ever cut corners on the PSU when it comes to quality (which has been proven to reduce coil whine) and I prefer to built my systems with silent cases.

Side window, vent holes on the side or top, an open mesh in the front...those are things that I've always avoided, plus I prefer to have panels that are on the inside covered with sound proof material. Most people don't pay attention to that and those are often the ones whining about....uh.... whine.

Most issues with coil whine will however do improve in a matter of days or weeks, depending on heavy use. I wouldn't worry too much, unless you have a crappy power supply and an open case. Note that young people are more sensitive to coil whine than older people who often hear a smaller range of frequencies.

I don't hear a peep from my Asus Strix 970.. I think the problem WAS an issue on earlier cards from certain manufacturers, but has been resolved some time ago.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Well, I don't really have a choice anyway. My ancient 670 has seen it's better day's pass by and it's time to take it out behind the barn and put it out of it's misery (recycle bin). Guess I'll hop over to Newegg and flip a coin today. Thanks for the replies.

i dont know if its true. but they said that all high end cards has a coil whine. it will just disappear over time.

I don't think so, the higher end cards generally use higher end components which don't  produce the whine.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I just replaced my 670 with an EVGA 980 with the ACX cooler and no coil whine whatsoever...quietest card I've ever owned.

Ryan 

Ryan

I just replaced my 670 with an EVGA 980 with the ACX cooler and no coil whine whatsoever...quietest card I've ever owned.

Ryan 

This is great news, coincidentally, as I've just ordered one of these, to replace my EVGA GTX670 as well. Quieter is always a bonus.

Jazz

No whine on my msi gtx 970 twin frozr it is as silent as a mouse, the only whine I get comes from behind me but I have learnt to live with it she brings me bacon.

I don't hear a peep from my Asus Strix 970.. I think the problem WAS an issue on earlier cards from certain manufacturers, but has been resolved some time ago.

I also have the Asus Strix 970, and no coil whine here.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Latst week I replaced my 660 Ti with the eVGA FTW ACX 2.0 GTX 970 which supposedly fixes the coil whine once and for all. No coil whine from this card either and the fan doesn't turn on until the card reach a temperature around 65C. Even then the fan is super quiet.