Sign in to follow this  
Ian S

P3D and the 777

Hi

I am curious as to peoples views on the 777 in P3D v2.4 as I consider the best option.

I used POSKY 777s in FSX, but as mentioned in a previous thread, I cannot overcome a problem with the lighting in the VC being too bright, to the extent that the gauges cannot be read.

So, do I wait for PMDG and hope that my system can handle it, or go with Captain Sim? I note Rob (Ainscough) speaks positively of Captain Sim and I am very tempted, yet it also has some shocking reviews elsewhere particularly regarding FPS. I know that Rob has a high-end system so I am concerned I would be disappointed with a CS777 on my system. However as I have never used a PMDG product, I am equally concerned how that would perform.

Therefore I'd be very keen to hear form anyone with similar specs to me who has maybe had experience of using both on FSX. I appreciate it is very difficult to predict how a product such as PMDG will perform on P3D until it is released, but if it is the case that my system is not likely to be up to it, I'd rather know now than later.

Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.

My system is a i7-4820k CPU @ 3.70GHZ, 2 x GTX 760 GPUs and 16GB RAM. I use FTX Global/Vector and AS2012/ASN.

cheers

Ian

Ian S

38.jpg

There are NO 777 available, so far, that works 100% in v 2.4. It´s as simple as that.  :rolleyes:

Hi

I am curious as to peoples views on the 777 in P3D v2.4 as I consider the best option.

I used POSKY 777s in FSX, but as mentioned in a previous thread, I cannot overcome a problem with the lighting in the VC being too bright, to the extent that the gauges cannot be read.

So, do I wait for PMDG and hope that my system can handle it, or go with Captain Sim? I note Rob (Ainscough) speaks positively of Captain Sim and I am very tempted, yet it also has some shocking reviews elsewhere particularly regarding FPS. I know that Rob has a high-end system so I am concerned I would be disappointed with a CS777 on my system. However as I have never used a PMDG product, I am equally concerned how that would perform.

Therefore I'd be very keen to hear form anyone with similar specs to me who has maybe had experience of using both on FSX. I appreciate it is very difficult to predict how a product such as PMDG will perform on P3D until it is released, but if it is the case that my system is not likely to be up to it, I'd rather know now than later.

My system is a i7-4820k CPU @ 3.70GHZ, 2 x GTX 760 GPUs and 16GB RAM. I use FTX Global/Vector and AS2012/ASN.

cheers

Ian

Hello Ian,

The CS777 works fine in P3D, I believe there may be another small patch coming out soon to further tweak some issues. It has a working EFB, weather radar and very good graphics. In FSX I had comparable framerates between PMDG and Captain Sim. Systems wise the PMDG aircraft is more complete. Graphics wise, and this is personal opinion only, I thought the CS  aircraft was a lot sharper.

They are both fairly heavy on frame rates so it would depend highly on how optimised your system is and your scenery/weather settings as they can tax your system heavily.

I had i7-920 @ 3.2 ghz with GTX 560Ti and used the CS 777.  It was almost bearable. I noticed a difference in FPS between using a LM aircraft and the 777.  Switching views  seemed laggy to me.   Of course the 777 is much more complicated than a propeller driven aircraft.  I now have a 4770k and GTX 780, which are obviously better.

I just got their Android CDU and cannot wait to try it out this weekend.  

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

I bought the CS777 based on recommendations in this forum.  

At the time I had a GTX-560Ti Hawk graphics card powered by an i7-4770K cpu.  FPS was abysmal at ORBX YBBN.  I have since upgraded to a GTX-970 and whilst FPS have improved I don't hold out high hopes for great frames of complicated (systems heavy) aircraft in P3D.  Smoothness is another matter entirely however.

Frankly I doubt your system, as described, would run either the CS or PMDG 777's to your satisfaction other than from/to default airports and in CAVOK conditions.  I hope I am wrong.

Hi

cheers

Ian

There is no PMDG for P3D at this point in time due to their EULA so I would maybe refrain from discussing this.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Thanks for the feedback guys, that's food for thought.

Ian S

38.jpg

All do respect the CS 777 is not fine. Half the time the flight path will disappear or not show up at all.

All do respect the CS 777 is not fine. Half the time the flight path will disappear or not show up at all.

If you are having problems with the CS777 you should seek assistance and not make statements like this without some explanation as to what you were doing, when, where, why and how. This type of non-constructive comment does not help the community whatsoever. It appears you lack command of the English language so there may be some miscommunications here. But still, lack of any command of the English language does not allow you to post comments that have little or no meaning other than you are upset with the CS777 because you cannot do something.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Half the time the flight path will disappear or not show up at all.

I've not had this issue, can you elaborate?  I would recommend you contact their customer support.

I can't say the CS 777 is the best performing aircraft in terms of FPS, but given the systems (and now wireless CDU integration) and with small changes to the panel.cfg it'll hold 20-24 fps at complex airports and 27-30 fps at "default" airports (with a few exceptions) - keep in mind 3840 x 2160 res.  I've done several videos of it in action.

The built in weather radar is the best I've used to date - turbulence shows up very accurately in WX+T mode.  And more importantly I've been able to map all controls to my GoFlight hardware which in itself is a huge plus.

It would be nice if the dimmer controls were more than an on/off but adding even more features probably isn't going to improve FPS and VAS usage.

I'd love to see how this aircraft would perform on more capable systems based on Haswell-E and X99 ... assume about a 10-15% improvement over my system.

Cheers, Rob.

If you are having problems with the CS777 you should seek assistance and not make statements like this without some explanation as to what you were doing, when, where, why and how. This type of non-constructive comment does not help the community whatsoever. It appears you lack command of the English language so there may be some miscommunications here. But still, lack of any command of the English language does not allow you to post comments that have little or no meaning other than you are upset with the CS777 because you cannot do something.

Hi Jim, I guess this is what I get for attempting to make a quick post while at work on my smartphone.  It turns out I know a thing or two about the English language… at least I hope I do J

This issue is quite common and was acknowledged by at least one person in the current thread when I brought it up in this prior thread (see pages 6-8):

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/444831-cs-777-v14-released/page-8

I am not sure what forum policy is regarding links to other company forums, but just in case... accessing the Tech issues forum and then the "6 Displays" sub forum on the CS website will yield several threads about users having the same issue I have had and continue to have.  This has been brought up  via forum threads and technical support tickets by myself and others, yet the issue still remains... hence my (albeit short) statement.

I apologize if my post was deemed as someone attempting to troll.  It was not intended to be negative from the standpoint of "trashing" a product (there are scores of posters that do this on a regular basis… fortunately I am not one of them); rather, it is grounded in ongoing issues.

At the end of the day, if my flight plan mysteriously disappears on initial descent from the ND, it is a bit of a buzzkill. 

-Phil

I've not had this issue, can you elaborate?  I would recommend you contact their customer support.

I can't say the CS 777 is the best performing aircraft in terms of FPS, but given the systems (and now wireless CDU integration) and with small changes to the panel.cfg it'll hold 20-24 fps at complex airports and 27-30 fps at "default" airports (with a few exceptions) - keep in mind 3840 x 2160 res.  I've done several videos of it in action.

The built in weather radar is the best I've used to date - turbulence shows up very accurately in WX+T mode.  And more importantly I've been able to map all controls to my GoFlight hardware which in itself is a huge plus.

It would be nice if the dimmer controls were more than an on/off but adding even more features probably isn't going to improve FPS and VAS usage.

I'd love to see how this aircraft would perform on more capable systems based on Haswell-E and X99 ... assume about a 10-15% improvement over my system.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob, trust me I have tried everything, so I fly this bird now knowing there is ~ a 30% chance (totally arbitrary number) of the flight path disappearing over the mid atlantic :)  The funny thing is... it is such a moving target that I do not even know how to describe it.  Sometimes while on the ground at the start of the flight... after loading everything into the FMC and executing (as I would on any other Boeing) the flight plan flat out does not show at all.

Other times it shows, but instead of being magenta, it is a dotted blue line.  Other times it shows as magenta, changes to a dotted blue line 6 hours into the flight, and then disappears entirely :) 

All that said, this is still one of my favorite planes, but it is not without its... challenges.

I guess my question for the posters on here would be how many have actually flown a fully programmed plan on a long haul?  This issue is not nearly as common on short hauls... it sounds like you have not experienced it?

-Phil

Hi Jim, I guess this is what I get for attempting to make a quick post while at work on my smartphone. It turns out I know a thing or two about the English language… at least I hope I do

This is what I was asking. Something constructive and not just a few cryptic words which provided nothing for our community.

I have not seen this problem with the CS777. It is a well-known problem that funny things will happen to P3D/FSX and any commercial aircraft like CS777, the Aerosoft Airbus series, or PMDG aircraft on long hauls. Windows only provides a certain amount of virtual address space (VAS) to run each 32 bit application and addons. Depending on your p3d settings, you could get a flight up to 2 hours without any major issues but after that, VAS will be nearly depleted and things won't work like they should. You should run a program like FSUIPC to monitor your VAS usage. If you are running out of VAS, then nothing will operate properly. I think the major problem with these super computers people are buying is that they think they can crank up the settings and the display driver graphics as they want all of the eye-candy they can possibly get. We really did not have this problem a few years ago as everyone kept their settings at a modest level. Then they heard about these fancy tweaks and high settings and they cranked everything up. Now individuals are experiencing more and more anomalies. I really do not understand how you are running P3d for over 6 hours and not having issues. I have modest p3d settings and scenery I don't need during a flight session and I'm lucky to get 3 hours, especially if I'm landing at a commercial airport like FSDT KORD in heavy ASN weather. Anyway, thanks for your explanation.

Other times it shows as magenta, changes to a dotted blue line 6 hours into the flight,

From my understanding of the FMC, the magenta line will show up if the link has been activated in the fmc. If you have a discontinutity, the line will show up as a dotted line until you remove the discontinuity and activate it in the FMC. I've never seen it disappear entirely but that could possibly happen if you system is running low on VAS and beginning to struggle. I have to go and see what your flight plan was. I would love to try to see if I can fly the route which is over 6 hours in length to see how my very powerful system would do (4770K w/780 GPU). I suspect as long as you are at cruising altitude and don't have any weather running and you are flying over default territory, it would be possible.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Firehawk44, 

Jim,

I  have never seen an issue on long flights with P3D using the Aerosoft Airbus or the Ifly 737NG.  I have, however,  seen my entire aircraft, panel and all disappear slowly on a long flight using the CS 777.  This is using Windows 8.1 and you have to abandon the flight with the CS777 because you have no flight instruments  left to help you.  This was  with 2.3 and prior  and  I don't have  the CS777 installed at present.

I guess my question for the posters on here would be how many have actually flown a fully programmed plan on a long haul?

In v2.3 I did a 3 hour.  In v2.4 I've done a 4 hour (ish), in v2.2 I did a 16 hour (or was it 13 hours, it was long).  But typically I only make time for about a 1-2 hr flight.

I really do not understand how you are running P3d for over 6 hours and not having issues.

Do you have a particular flight in mind?  I might be able to free up my PC long enough this weekend, but no promises ... I'll test it out and let you know.  Most (not all) of my long hauls I've done in Orbx FTX Oceania region.

But I hope folks understand that I'm NOT suggesting OOMs don't happen, they obviously do ... finding the source is the real challenge, LM, 3rd party, or a little of both.  Obviously setting up test scenarios is going to be incredibly time consuming to help try and pin point the source.

Cheers, Rob.

Do you have a particular flight in mind?

Please do not waste you time on me Rob. I would never ever try to fly a 6 hour plus flight even if my computer was capable.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM