Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

3D CoPilot

Is anyone working on a quality 3D Co Pilot for the VC and not what I have seen so far? I just get this creepy feeling when looking to my right and no one is there,

Actually you are not there also  ^_^

LOL never thought of that, instead I always complained how there is no copilot.

Actually we have now a very good idea for an addon. It's pretty simple, 3D model of FO, bunch of animations (not robotic), and possibly a soundset. Addon's task is only to place it in virtual cockpit, or using position editor, and to make it a bit alive via animations and various calls.

Developers, helloooooo! 

Look-at-Me.jpg

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

A virtual copilot has to be built into the cockpit model, so it's up to the airplane dev and him/her alone. It doesn't make it easier though that homo sapiens is a beech to get to look right without drifting down Uncanny Valley. And with a bit of tinkering you can also make Joe or Jane help you with the checklists, but it simply would not look natural, so all in all, the rendering resources are better spent elsewhere.

If you people are really that deparate for cockpit companionship, there's an airplane model out there that gives you some right-seat assistance. But it doesn't come with a price tag and thus won't appeal to y'all anyway.

th_F-27A_8.png

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Actually you are not there also  ^_^

True, so now I want animated arms and hands on yoke.  :P  And why not animate the hands to follow mouse pointer for switches and controls.  :huh:

True, so now I want animated arms and hands on yoke.  :P  And why not animate the hands to follow mouse pointer for switches and controls.  :huh:

Have you ever played Trespasser or - funnier - Octodad?

Controlling more than one limb with a single input device isn't as practical as you might think. Even when "just" sitting in a cockpit. ;)

Bjoern makes some good points. I will also add that 3D companions are extra 3D objects to be rendered and textured, thus tend to eat up more CPU and GPU cycles and then frame rates and smoothness can suffer.  Now when you animate them and make them a working member of the virtual cockpit crew... on my old computer, fuhgetaboutit.  It would be nice to have, but implementing it in a way that is useable, easy on smoothness of display and still keep them from looking like creepy extras from a zombie movie, is not easy.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

A2A Simulations has the 3D passenger Heidi in their Piper Cub, so there doesn't seem to be any technical reason why there couldn't be a copilot.  But it would be a drain on the computer, though.  Another interesting idea would be to have a 3D pilot - while flying you could see your own legs on the rudder pedals and hand/arm on the throttle.  This might get pretty complicated when you started flipping switches and turning dials...

In order to reduce load on the cpu, I suggest a very lazy, but friendly copilot who just sits there, not doing much except smiling and telling the pilot what a great job he's doing.

Have you ever played Trespasser or - funnier - Octodad?

Controlling more than one limb with a single input device isn't as practical as you might think. Even when "just" sitting in a cockpit. ;)

Have you played any of the newer F1 sims? That type animation would be better than nothing.

A2A Simulations has the 3D passenger Heidi in their Piper Cub, so there doesn't seem to be any technical reason why there couldn't be a copilot.  But it would be a drain on the computer, though.  Another interesting idea would be to have a 3D pilot - while flying you could see your own legs on the rudder pedals and hand/arm on the throttle.  This might get pretty complicated when you started flipping switches and turning dials...

Have you played any of the newer F1 sims? That type animation would be better than nothing.

I presume that virtual driver does nothing more than steering, moving his fingers to shift or press buttons on the wheel and occasionally shake his fist at idiot AI drivers.

Sure, arms and feet on stick and pedals are very much possible, but they break any immersion as soon as there's some switches to be flicked somewhere in the cockpit.

Too much effort, too little gain, too much potential for complaints.

I presume that virtual driver does nothing more than steering, moving his fingers to shift or press buttons on the wheel and occasionally shake his fist at idiot AI drivers.

Sure, arms and feet on stick and pedals are very much possible, but they break any immersion as soon as there's some switches to be flicked somewhere in the cockpit.

Yep, and then you are trying to look around those immovable arms to find those switches.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

As in F1 Sims it could also be an option in FSX.

As in F1 Sims it could also be an option in FSX.

Too much effort, too little benefit for anything lager than a GA aircraft.

If you don't believe me, try modeling, texturing and animating a pilot figure.

Too much effort, too little benefit for anything lager than a GA aircraft.

If you don't believe me, try modeling, texturing and animating a pilot figure.

With that mentality, we might still be playing pong. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it, the first one to do it will leave their mark in Flight Sim history.

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

John F. Kennedy

With that mentality, we might still be playing pong. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it, the first one to do it will leave their mark in Flight Sim history.

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

John F. Kennedy

That's the spirit. Now get out there to make it a reality.