Sign in to follow this  
bönan

Convair 440 simulator

At the Västerås Aviation Museum in Västerås, Sweden, there is a unique Convair 440 simulator. The simulator dates back to the 1970s and was used for crew training at Linjeflyg and later SAS Scandinavian Airlines. Today the simulator is open for the public. The museum also have a DC-10 simulator and a J-35 "Draken" sim. Not everything is operating system-wise yet, though, but the feeling is great. If you like to fly classic propliners, and are going to Sweden someday, make sure to visit the museum, which also has a large and unique collection of aircraft on display.

Here is me, flying the runway 26 approach into Innsbruck airport, LOWI. Sorry for the bad landing...  :rolleyes:

Landing looked perfect to me.

Stan

Unlikely I will ever make it to Sweden, but thanks for posting the video!

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Great landing! I'm surprised that the graphics were so good for an older sim. 

Are those instruments functional? They don't look like they're moving but I could be wrong. Really cool though!

All the primary flight instruments and the most important engine gauges are operational (manifold pressure, RPM, etc), the rest of them are however not yet working.

The simulator uses FSX so the grapichs are up to modern standards, I don't know how it looked when the sim was new but I guess it was mostly a procedure trainer back then.

The simulator uses FSX so the grapichs are up to modern standards, I don't know how it looked when the sim was new but I guess it was mostly a procedure trainer back then.

Ha ha, some call FSX graphics modern, other call them ancient :)

Seriously though, cool simulator. Exactly the kind of thing I'd like to have in my basement if I win the lottery. That must have been a cool experience.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Ha ha, some call FSX graphics modern, other call them ancient :)

Seriously though, cool simulator. Exactly the kind of thing I'd like to have in my basement if I win the lottery. That must have been a cool experience.

I'm with you on that If I win the lotto no G550 for me I'm getting a Super Connie for long trips and a Convair for short ones

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I'm with you on that If I win the lotto no G550 for me I'm getting a Super Connie for long trips and a Convair for short ones

Oh yeah, that Connie is a nice bird. Got to see one up close at Sanford in Lufthansa livery some years ago. They don't make 'em like that anymore. On that note, do you know if there are any good replacement sounds for the Just Flight Connie included in P3D?

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Oh yeah, that Connie is a nice bird. Got to see one up close at Sanford in Lufthansa livery some years ago. They don't make 'em like that anymore. On that note, do you know if there are any good replacement sounds for the Just Flight Connie included in P3D?

There is a really good freeware Connie available way better than the justfight one. http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?196208-New!-Freeware-L-1049G-Super-Connie-!!!

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Great landing! I'm surprised that the graphics were so good for an older sim. 

They're probably using ESP. The RAF used/are using it. Both their VC10 sims were converted from cameras moving over a wall with models to ESP.