Sign in to follow this  
Ken Pryor

PMDG 737 & ASN--can my pc handle them?

Hello all,

Looking for advice. I'm getting back in to FS after a break and would like to get the PMDG 737NGX and ASN, but I wasn't sure how my system would hold up. I have a first gen I7-920 with 12GB ram and a GeForce GTS-450 video card. I run FSX now with pretty decent frames with more than a few

WOAI packages installed and running the old ActiveSky 6.5. I don't want to shell out a bunch of cash if it looks like my older I7 won't be up to it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ken

Hello Ken,

As far as I know is Active Sky Next not integrated in the 737NGX. Only in the T7 200 and 300 you can use the ASN. I would gladly be wrong as the radar is fantastic.

Ben

Thanks Ben. I'm not all that concerned about the integration, though that would be nice. I mainly just want to make sure my system would be up to the task of running all of this acceptably well.

Depending on your ASN weather settings, the type of clouds used and performance settings you set in your 737 your mileage will vary.   I have an i7-3930k With 32gigs of a RAM and GTX 770 and I can maintain 25+ FPS in MOST situations but even my system can bog down in bad weather or at horribly inefficient areas like New York and Seattle.

I think you are going to have to make compromises to get anything flyable with your current hardware.   You'll need to RAMP down some settings.    

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

ASN should have little to no performance impact. And with those specs and the NGX, you'll probably be getting between 8 - 15 fps on the ground and 20 in the air? With my 7850 and i5 3570k @ 4.2 GHz… I get around 15 fps on the ground at lets say FSDT KJFK and around 30 - 45 fps in in air.

Thanks everyone. Think I might just stick with the PMDG 737 in FS 9 for now. Maybe I can afford a hardware upgrade one of these days.

I meant to mention in my last post, I also considered buying both ASN and WideFS and running ASN on a separate machine. Not sure how much benefit there is to that plan.

ASN doesn't use FSUIPC/WideFS. It only uses SimConnect.

Hello Ken,

Sorry I misunderstood you. My PC has the following components : Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM and NVIDIA Geforce GTX 650. Small Payware aircraft minimal 60 fps. PMDG 777-200 on Rwy VRMM.-Maldives 30 fps (with approaching thunderstorm announcing on WXR) . Taxiing at EHAM-Schiphol (Aerosoft) with WXR however about 20 fps. Overall no problems. So I guess your system is allright for the intented job.

Cheers,

Ben

Thanks for the info Ben! I've been out of the game, so to speak, for quite a while and don't know what's what yet. I've been taking advantage of the Christmas sales and have picked up quite a few good deals (but don't tell my wife how much I've spent ;-) )

Ken

Ken I too have an older I7 930 chip clocked at 4GHZ and I get acceptable performance with addons using the PMDG 737 & 777.

Cool, glad to hear that. I'll probably be buying the 737. I won a $100 Amazon gift card recently and may have to buy it there.