Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Losing nerve with FSGRW and OpusFSX

Before I go on support forums to "complain", I just want to check with you guys with issues in FSGRW and OpusFSX and make sure that maybe these are isolated incidents on my machine.

I have very annoying problems with FSGRW, especially on non-local flights. When I'm flying around some airport for some pattern flight or practising touch and go stuff, both apps performs good, no anomalies. But when flying non-local flights where a lot of met stations will change, both apps start to behave strange and very incosistent.

Last night I was flying from Landshut (near Munich) to Stapleford (near London) with A2A C182, using FSGRW, and everything was fine until I was on cruise altutide (FL110) somewhere near Belgium where strange stuff I've never seen happening with the app started to happen. Direction of wind was changing from between mag 60 and mag 350 like 15 times, and every change was not smooth, the direction was changing in a miliseconds resulting pretty erratic behaviour of C182, which was pretty logic when direction of wind was changed from mag 80 to mag 355 in 10ms! In the middle of that very frustrating experience, one station depicted 200m visibility on FL110! Total "blackout", I thought that graphics was corrupting. Never saw that bug in FSGRW so far. I also had problems with enormous visibility changes on descents and approches, even on final. For example, I was flying around Munich few weeks ago, then started approach to Landshut and entering short final, at 600ft AGL the visibility changed from depicted 24km to 500m in 10ms! From total VFR to total IFR in a split of a second, very frustrating. And I saw numerous times that sudden visibility changes bug.

OpusFSX so far is smoth with winds and visibility changes, but cloud formation popping out of nowhere bug and sudden change of depiction of station in front of the plane is immersion killing at its best. My last example was a flight with A2A Cherokee from Landshut to Friedrichshafen, cruising at FL100 with few clouds around and around 80km visibility, pretty nice weather. Suddenly around 10 minutes before TOD, BAAANG in a 10ms a heavy cloud formation popped few nm in front of the plane, changing the weather from CAVOK to Broken with stronger winds. I'm pretty frustrated with these issues, and I'm quite sure that I have all smoothing option checked in OpusFSX, and all weather related option UNCHECKED in FSUIPC, knowing that FSUIPC could make a serious conflicts with depiction when using weather injection apps like FSGRW or OpusFSX or ASN.

Also, I was using Historic Weather some 12hrs old in both apps.

I'm quite confused about these issues, since I didn't find the solution for both apps, searched all support forums and some googling. Seems that no one had these issues so far.

Any of you ever experienced something similiar with these two apps?

Do you guys have any suggestions?

I'm quite frustrated with these issues right now that I'm very close on purchasing Active Sky Next, but the price is pretty steep for me right now since I bought C182 and want to get iFly 747 V2 too this month.

Tried ASN trial two times (first version ans SP1) and experience was ultra realistic without any issues, everything was ultra smooth, from wind to visibility changes, perfection.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I think I found the problem at last, test flight last night was perfect without extreme and fast visibility changes. I reverted to default value NewMaterialUsage=true to =false in SwarmCloud.fx file in FSX\ShadersHLSL\Misc. I saw that SwarmCloud.fx should not have any relation with visibility bugs, but hey it's FSX, who knows.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Hi Pe11e

With regard to your issue with sudden changes of weather, some weather engines require you to enter a flight plan in order to correct that behaviour. Are you loading a flight plan in FSX or directly into the weather engine somehow?

I use ASN and if I load a flight plan in FSX, it will automatically load it in ASN and it just helps the programme to make the weather changes smooth because it knows beforehand which weather station is going to need to be loaded next. Could be worth a go if either of your weather engines have such a function.

Cheers

Stu

Stuart Furley

The problem is I experienced these sudden visibility changes while flying patterns around the airport with C182 or Cherokee. So I wasn't far from the airport, max 20nm. In OpusFSI you must enter the flightplan to get smooth weather changes, I don't know what is the situation with FSGRW regarding flightplans.