Sign in to follow this  
Adam T Lutley

The dreaded AI_player_DLL crash

I do most of my flying in the continental US but for kicks I decided on a flight from Amsterdam to Salzburg in a Transavia NGX. Traffic 360 installed with no scenery in that region other than FTX global base. 35 min into the flight, CTD with the aforementioned faulting path. I constantly monitor my VAS through fsuipc. I did a couple of things and will report back. Scanned my registry and cleaned out 83  errors. I also downloaded and installed the latest SP version for Traffic 360 as I'm suspecting that to be the culprit. Anyone else have a similar experience with Traffic 360? Many thanks in advance.

A lot of people own Traffic 360 and I have not seen any other reports of this type of crash with that program. However, you are on the right track. Here's what the AVSIM CTD Guide states:

AI_Player.dll - The faulting module was the ai_player.dll which is the module that controls your AI (a commercial AI program or the default).

• Could be something wrong with an AI model or object. If you have MyTrafficX, you can disable AI in the Scenery Library to see if this fixes the problem. If so, then this is the problem. If you have another AI program installed, then disable that program to see if the program is causing your crashes.

• Problem occurs occasionally in the Seattle area with FTX/Orbx Pacific Northwest. This may have been fixed by now but check the FTX/Orbx forums and search for AI_Player.

• Caused by freeware airports in the area that has static aircraft or their own AI aircraft and flight plans. Disable the add-on airport and see if problem is gone. If you have any FSDT, Flight Beam airports, do not disable them. They are not the problem.

• AI programs like MyTrafficX has AFCAD's for hundreds, maybe thousands of airports in the MyTraffic/Scenery folder. Anyone of these could be the cause of the ai_player crash. In this case, make sure you have the latest version of your AI program installed.

One thing you can do if you do not find a solution is to run Process Monitor (after setting it up as I suggested in the AVSIM CTD Guide ).  There you can see what is loading, like AI or maybe a scenery with static AI.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Adam, I got my first ever AI_Player.dll CTD yesterday, while flying in the new Sweden Design 1 Beta scenery in Southern Sweden.  At first I thought it was connected to the new C441 aircraft I was flying, but then I got a 2nd CTD with the AI_Player as faulted module, while in a Carenado aircraft in the same region.

I too use Traffic 360 and removed all Swedish airport BGLs from the Traffic360 folder, and never got another crash in the next 8 hours.

Sorry for the long delay, anyway, have not gotten that crash again (or any other) after completing several flights. As stated earlier, I downloaded and installed the latest update for T 360 and cleaned my registry. I have some other thoughts based on my own experiences over the years. I used to employ a heavily tweaked config file and overclocked CPU. This was very much a necessity until fairly recently. The result was often a less stable FSX. After my latest 3770k Z77 build, I went back to the basics. Disabled hyperthreading and left everything else in BIOS as is. The only config file tweak I use is the HIGH MEM fix. FPS locked at 30 FPS with reasonable graphics settings. The result for me has been a far more stable FSX. With the I7 4790 being able to run at 4.4 Ghz out of the box, I feel that overclocking may finally unnecessary for the majority of simmers. I employ FTX, REX, Traffic 360, and a handful of Payware aircraft like PMDG. I've resisted the temptation to go bonkers with addon airports and other scenery programs. Regards

Thanks for your comments. I agree. With the higher powered computer systems, putting in all those tweaks and changes to the BIOS are really not necessary and we stated so in the Intro and General settings of the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide. My only tweaks are changing the LOD_Radius from the max default of 4.5 to 6.5 and changing the Texture_Max_Load setting from 1024 to 2048 or 4096. I think FSX runs a lot better with basic settings near the default for your computer system.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Adam

I've had this problem before, some time ago. What I believe I did was disable the Traffic 360 airport facilities in the scenery library. I think it was a particular combo of scenery and the Traffic 360 additions that was causing my problem.

Try and let us know how you get on.

Kind regard

Jay

Jason Jackett

Adam

I've had this problem before, some time ago. What I believe I did was disable the Traffic 360 airport facilities in the scenery library. I think it was a particular combo of scenery and the Traffic 360 additions that was causing my problem.

Try and let us know how you get on.

Kind regard

Jay

I loaded up and flew the EHAM to LOWS flight where this CTD occurred without difficulty. As I do most of my flying inside the Continental US, it seemed curious at the time for this to occur over western Germany but it might have just been coincidence. I switched around some settings in T360 including using winter 2013 schedule which wasn't available before the update I installed. I've probably completed around a dozen problem free flights since then. Regards

Hi Adam

Your post isn't clear. Did you do what I suggested and are reporting back, or the problem has gone away?

Jay

Jason Jackett

Hi Adam

Your post isn't clear. Did you do what I suggested and are reporting back, or the problem has gone away?

Jay

Well, I didn't disable any files in the scenery library as you noted. As this is the one and only time I had this issue and have flown numerous flights since, including exactly duplicating the problem one, I'll have to attribute it to one of the following scenarios:

1. The v1.09 update and/or switching flight schedules in Traffic 360 fixed it

2. cleaning my registry fixed it

3. A glitch in the matrix and a one time fluke occurrence and nothing I did had any effect on it.

Either way, if it becomes an issue again I'll report back. Thanks for the advice from all concerned. 

Kindest regards