Sign in to follow this  
ricktorbe

It's Official- I'm moving in

That is very strange indeed. If you used the Prepar3d install .exe to install the program, there should be a "LOckheed Martin" folder with a sub-folder containing Prepar3d and all of it's files.

What method of install did you use?

Well, I have a C drive and E Drive. I just ran the installation and chose the E drive, then ran the installation.

It shouldn't matter which drive you chose to install it on... did the install make a "Prepar3d V2" folder?

After jumping on board you wont look back - one thing to remember is deleting the shaders folder periodically like after installing rex - editing config files - etc. I made a shortcut to that folder on my desktop if you dont know how there is tons of posts on it here - dont worry about deleting them as it will rebuild them again and this even acts like rebuilding your p3d.cfg file - just seems to help - big must is Estonia migration tool - use that to install fsx addons but look into the addon and how well it will work in p3d as EMT is not the end all but close to it

are you talking about deleting the shaderhlsl folder and everything in it? i am confused on which folder to delete, if you don't mind letting me know which exact folder you are talking about, thanks

It shouldn't matter which drive you chose to install it on... did the install make a "Prepar3d V2" folder?

No, it did not. It just dump all files in the drive. Perhaps I need to manually create a folder?   Do I just name it "Lockheed Martin" or..... ?

No, it did not. It just dump all files in the drive. Perhaps I need to manually create a folder?   Do I just name it "Lockheed Martin" or..... ?

OK, this is just a guess at what happened...

The installer suggested an install path of

C:\program files(x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v2

or something very similar. That, of course specified the C drive and you wanted the install on the E drive so, you simply browsed to the E drive

E:\

and selected that without specifying the rest of the path which should have been

E:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v2

That won't work well! So, I would uninstall from the control panel, delete all the files that the installer dumped onto your E drive, then do a reinstall ensuring a full path is specified.

If what I'm guessing at is not what happened, then I'm lost...

are you talking about deleting the shaderhlsl folder and everything in it? i am confused on which folder to delete, if you don't mind letting me know which exact folder you are talking about, thanks

NOOOOOOOOOO. This happens far too often. The Shader file you want to rebuild is in the Appdata/Local/LockheedMartin/Prepar3D folder.

@DanishFlyer82 and TrafficPilot

Gentlemen, in the future please do not put your replies in the quote box. In fact, please do not quote the entire message you are replying to. Quote only enough so that it's clear to whom you are replying.

Thanks in advance!  :Nerd:

That is very strange indeed. If you used the Prepar3d install .exe to install the program, there should be a "LOckheed Martin" folder with a sub-folder containing Prepar3d and all of it's files.

What method of install did you use?

The only way to do a 'custom install' is to use the Options button on the installer, then either browse to where you want to install or simply type in a drive letter...

...I usually just type in what I want such as F:\P3Dv2 and let 'er rip!

That won't work well! So, I would uninstall from the control panel, delete all the files that the installer dumped onto your E drive, then do a reinstall ensuring a full path is specified.

Argh! Do not ever use the Control Panel to "uninstall" P3D (any version). This method will not contact Lockheed Martin's server and reset your activation!

That is why the "installer" has an option to "Repair" or "Uninstall" Prepar3D built in.

This is so critical that it is the locked sticky post at the very top of this forum:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/451433-warning-uninstall-p3d-before-installing-again-on-new-drive/

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

...I usually just type in what I want such as F:\P3Dv2 and let 'er rip!

Argh! Do not ever use the Control Panel to "uninstall" P3D (any version). This method will not contact Lockheed Martin's server and reset your activation!

That is why the "installer" has an option to "Repair" or "Uninstall" Prepar3D built in.

This is so critical that it is the locked sticky post at the very top of this forum:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/451433-warning-uninstall-p3d-before-installing-again-on-new-drive/

Yep, typing in a drive letter along with a folder name will certainly work!

I was unaware of the problem of using control panel uninstall... in fact, I have done it...without problems. I reinstalled and used the program key that was sent to me and all was well but, obviously other people have had problems.

If you do not ever plan to put anything else on the same drive, you need not do anything. Just keep in mind that in the future it is a "Good Idea" to have some sort of path, even if only x:\P3Dv2 or something like that.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Very well. I got it working now. I will defrag then continue with other add-ons.  I appreciate you guys.

Now, I need to study and learn that "Migration tool" so I can use the terabyte of FSX stuff I have. I hope not to get disappointed in the process. 

Usually when I get disappointed I take my computer and break every part of it until I'm unable to identify any piece. (alright breathe, breathe )   

Richard,

Just a quick question.......what happens if you don't delete the shaders folder periodically?

Hi Chris - I dont know all the benefits but here are a few I do know - I noticed after a bit rain was not showing even after a rain weather theme was picked - dump shaders bam rain is back and runways are wet also when you change rex themes you want to make sure they are now being used totally - dumping shaders insures this - Rob can elaborate He knows best - hope this helps a little bit.

Rich Sennett

Richard,

In post #21, William states that the shaders folder to be deleted is located in the Appdata/Local/LockheedMartin/Prepar3D folder. If that is the case, then simply stating that the "shaders folder should be dumped" now and again isn't particularly informative. We need to know the exact folder to be deleted, otherwise we may end up getting in a mess.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

"user\appdata\local\LockheedMartin\Prepar3d" Delete the folder named "shaders".. that is the exact one...the only one...in my installation it is the only folder in that path...

This is NOT the same path as where the flight simulator PROGRAM is installed...

Richard,

In post #21, William states that the shaders folder to be deleted is located in the Appdata/Local/LockheedMartin/Prepar3D folder. If that is the case, then simply stating that the "shaders folder should be dumped" now and again isn't particularly informative. We need to know the exact folder to be deleted, otherwise we may end up getting in a mess.

I agree but one would think that, considering there is only ONE "shaders" folder it would be understood. Somehow I guess people get confused and think ShadersHLSL is the same as Shaders.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I thought he was referring to the ShadersHLSL folder, since I wasn't aware of the other one. Since that is a "hidden" folder, I am guessing that quite a few others don't know about it either. It's possible that I may have dabbled with it when I upgraded from P3D version 2.3 to 2.4, but I can't remember.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png