Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

Casual Flights moving to Papua New Guinea (PNG)

Casual Flights moving to Papua New Guinea (PNG)

To celebrate the arrival of the winter solstice Saturday group flight operations are moving south of the Equator.   By participant consensus, the next four to five flights will be in Papua New Guinea and will feature flights into remote airstrips located on beautiful coral beaches and into primitive clearings in the rugged highlands.  The planned routes will feature relaxed and easy flying interrupted by white knuckle approaches into dangerous airstrips.  There will be ample opportunities for the participating pilots to impress their fellow pilots with their daring and skill or just provide general entertainment.

PNG%2BRabual%2B1.jpg

The planned PNG routes will feature airstrips that are included in the commercial payware products listed in the recommended scenery section below.   Participants who do not have the scenery may find that the base FSX product does not include an airstrip or it may be in a different location or elevation.

Recommended Scenery

PIS - RAW GRIT: PNG BUSHPILOT & EXTREME BUSH TREKKER BUNDLE

RG-EBT combo pack consists of "Raw Grit: PNG Bushpilot (RG)" and "Extreme Bush Trekker (EBT)" airstrips, giving the simmer 40 airstrips and combination of over 22 waterports and helicopter pads. The package is grounded on high altitude rough terrain and sea level short strip flying, there and two major hubs for medium range aircrafts flying domestic, regional and international routes.

PIS RG-EBT is very highly recommended as is contains enhacements to the majority of the airstrips that will be visited.  This package is available for $25 at the PIS website and is also on sale at Simmarket for 40% off during the holiday season.

NOTE: A number of RG-EBT airports in coastal areas are not compatible with the enhanced coastline data provided by Orbx Vector product.   

Orbx AYPY Jacksons International Airport

Jacksons International Airport (located 5 miles outside of the capital city of Port Moresby) in Papua New Guinea is the largest and busiest airport in the country and is the main hub for Air Niugini, the national airline of PNG. Included with this package are 10 amazing bushstrips and a helipad, following the Kokoda track up and over the foreboding Owen Stanley mountains. 

On Sale (33% Off) at Flightsim Store through the holidays ~$22 (AUD).   Please  note that this add-on requires FTX Global Base Pack.

PNG Holgermesh (Freeware)  

File size: 74.5   The AYPY & Kokoda package are built around this mesh and is a must have if you do not have any 3rd party mesh for this area installed. (Freeware)

AYEO Emo Mission (Freeware)

File size: 79 MB  As a big thank you to all who supported our venture into PNG, Emo Mission a bonus scenery package located approximately 24 nautical miles SSE from Kokoda.  Please note that you do need FTX AYPY, FTX Global and the PNG Holgermesh to enjoy Emo Mission as intended.

FTX Global Base Pack (Global Texture Replacement)

FTX Global it transforms the washed out bland textures of the default palette into the vibrant rich and appealing Orbx FTX landscape. Dormant classes and meshing tiles not used by default FSX have been unlocked so now unique types of terrain blend perfectly against each other the way they should. Also includes a new zero-FPS -loss night lighting system for the entire planet, including lighting of all major arterial roads in and out of cities.

FTX Global is the most expensive of the recommended scenery addons but it does dramatically improve the appearance of FSX globally.  This scenery addon is a pre-requisite for Orbx AYPY and AYEO.  FTX Global is on Sale (33% Off) through the holidays ~$67 (AUD).

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Terrific narrative! I'm really looking forward to this, can't wait! Well, I suppose I'll have to. :(

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

For those planning on using Aerosoft's Twin Otter, there are quite a few repaints for it. They're too tricky for me to do.

Aerosoft Downloads

I shall be trying to make a fist of flying it. Off to practice now! :smile:

FYI,  I am working up the first leg which will start at Rabaul.  And YES, there will be a narrative. 

Also for the first leg (only) I am recommending warbirds.  I will be flying the A2A B-17, but the freeware C-47 is also a great choice.  Any of the fighters (Spit, Kittyhawk, Thunderbolt, Mustang, Corsair, Grumman Cats) are welcome as well but they will have to wait for us if they dash ahead. As always you can fly anything you like, but I would really enjoy some company in the Flying Fortress.  Some great Pacific theatre repaints here:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=21522&p=174974&hilit=pacific#p174959

If we get three in the air we might try a flying in formation.

I will fly Suzy Q, but the history of Yankee Doodle is interesting.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Yet another... :LMAO:

Warbirds! In your dreams, at least for this old fella.

I will fly Suzy Q

Hmmm... now where have I seen that repaint... let me think...

oh yes... here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/451998-orbx-pacific-northwest-tour-oregon-leg-3-northern-cascades/?p=3084226

I reckon I'll fly "Nine O Nine"

Warbirds! In your dreams, at least for this old fella.

You don't have the A2A B-17 Ron?  Awww man...

Good time to buy now btw (bein' Christmas and all...).

I think Ron has the P-47, at least I thought I heard him say that he did.  We may have to slow down so he can keep up with the 17's.

26aLetj.png

I do have the P47 but it's laid up, waiting for parts. They tell me they'll be with me in the new year. :smile:

They didn't say which new year though. :(

I found that I had to turn off vector as it didn't work well with the new scenery Raw Grit. Any one else having this issue.  Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Yes Josh, I have heard of this problem.  The RG-EBT product was developed for regular FSX.  Some of the Raw Grit airstrips near the coast are affected by the "enhanced" vector coastlines and will showup in the water (or is it caused by rising sea levels due to global warming).  I don't think it will be a problem once we get into the highland bush strips, but it will have an effect on the coastal airstrips.  If it is easy to "turn off" vector, then that's what I recommend for the legs where we fly to airports on the coast.

26aLetj.png

Looks like our "Big Buddies" need a little combat air patrol from the "Little Friends", being the case, I will be flying.....  (hmmm.... I wonder ???   :Thinking:   )

Screen_10082014_035704.jpg

This will be the "Milton's Modified for FSX" Bearcat, download information available on the spreadsheet.

Spent a good part of Sunday practicing w/ the Basler BT-67 for the upcoming short field runs, looking forward to those..   :Applause:

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

I've heard that I may JUST get my spares in time for next Saturday. :unsure:

If it is easy to "turn off" vector, then that's what I recommend for the legs where we fly to airports on the coast.

I paid how much to do what???

I've heard that I may JUST get my spares in time for next Saturday. :unsure:

That's logistics!