Sign in to follow this  
hexteri

FSX startup error with build 2.5

I don't know it is most puzzling can you put the dll.xml back before we forget, uninstall 2.5 and install 2.4 and see what happens?

Thanks, but in fact I found a copy of the file. Now, the result was exactly the same as before. Getting a little frustrated and soon the only option seems to be a re-installation of FSX

No, I don't recall. The problem started after the update to version 2.5. I just updated to the latest Nvidia 344.75 driver.

Okay, now I got FSX startup screen to work, but the aircraft preview box is black. I choose an airport, press the "Fly" and the simulator starts to load. It loads to the end and it all works, but the whole screen is black. Also, the sounds are normal. If I press the upper right corner "close simulator, a confirmation screen will appear normally. Interesting ...

Ok. Yes there is: Shadows, Bloom, Rain, Clouds, Water and Other.

EDIT: And under "Debug Options" greys are: General Shader, Water Shader, Cloud Shader and Rain Shader.

Ok can you go into fsx\shadersHlsl\general and tell me the size of general10.fx

Hi

The size of that file is 25KB and no news... :( Version 2.6 didn't help at all. 

I really wasn't expecting 2.6 to help.

Now lets recap - your system was working with 2.4

At some later time you installed 2.5 and it started crashing on startup - which looks to be at the point where shaders are compiled - as we can see one shader at least has been compiled

When you revert to 2.4, it now behaves the same as 2.5 - i.e it crashes when compiling shaders - so it doesn't seem to be a 2.4/2.5 issue but rather that something changed between the time 2.4 was installed and the shaders were then built and the later installation of 2.5/2.4

Note that I made sure that you did a full uninstallation of 2.5 and deleted any data that gets carried over between installs.

Did you install anything or change anything during that period?

At all times running in native DX10 preview has worked.

Currently it seems that DX10SF thinks the shaders are the wrong size - the general10.fx shader should be 24218 bytes as that is the only reason that the general shader would be greyed out (rather than unticked) in the debug screen.

So can you

1) uninstall the libraries and take a test flight in DX10 preview mode and confirm it is ok

2) tell me any changes that occurred between the time that 2.4 was originally installed and the problems started

3) install the libraries (it doesnt matter which version) and then tell me if the shaders are greyed out (not unticked in debug)

4) tell me the size of general10.fx from its properties page which gives more precision than 24kb