Sign in to follow this  
hornet65

TO/GA on 747-400

Hi,

Perhaps I'm not seeing it in the manua(I'm not finding it intuitive)...but can someone tell me how to activate the TO/GA switch on takeoff.  Isn't there a switch on the trottle levers or a command key stroke I can use? 

Tom S.

Yes it is but to make it easier PMDG has modelled a spot on the MCP where the screw is on the left next to AT arm switch.So advance throttles to 60% N1 then push the screw type button on the MCP panel.By the way in order to work properly you need to have AT switch on and have set your FMC first.Also you need some mode selected like LNAV and VNAV for example. 

But basically the only requirement is to have Auto-Throttle Arm switch on and you're good to go :)

Alex's information about the TA/GO spot is correct although it's probably a rivet and not a screw.  However you do not have to select LNAV or VNAV modes.  You do have to have your flaps setting correct.  If you don't the plane won't go in Thrush Ref mode and you'll have to adjust the throttle controls manually.  It is also nice to have the trim setting set correctly.

I use the FS9 version of the 747 , for some reason I tend to get a CTD when I press the TOGA screw on say a 2nd Go Around ...so I have set up the key assignment so pressing the T button puts me in TOGA mode ..I'm able to do a few more then .

ugcx_banner.png

Alex's information about the TA/GO spot is correct although it's probably a rivet and not a screw.  However you do not have to select LNAV or VNAV modes.  You do have to have your flaps setting correct.  If you don't the plane won't go in Thrush Ref mode and you'll have to adjust the throttle controls manually.  It is also nice to have the trim setting set correctly.

If you press the TOGA button, the aircraft will command TOGA whether you have flaps set or not.  Yes, it will not command Thrust Ref, it will command TOGA.  Below is out of the QF FCOM.

Autothrottle (A/T) ARM Switch

ARM -

• disconnects if more than one engine inoperative

• arms A/T system for mode selection

• A/T operates when VNAV, FLCH, or TO/GA switch pushed

• A/T operates when speed switch pushed and pitch mode is ALT, V/S, or

G/S

• when A/T flight mode annunciation blank and pitch mode is VNAV XXX

or FLCH SPD, cycling the A/T ARM switch to OFF and back to ARM

operates the A/T

Martin Buzzell

You want me to do what!!!

Email me

If you press the TOGA button, the aircraft will command TOGA whether you have flaps set or not.  Yes, it will not command Thrust Ref, it will command TOGA.  Below is out of the QF FCOM.

Autothrottle (A/T) ARM Switch

ARM -

• disconnects if more than one engine inoperative

• arms A/T system for mode selection

• A/T operates when VNAV, FLCH, or TO/GA switch pushed

• A/T operates when speed switch pushed and pitch mode is ALT, V/S, or

G/S

• when A/T flight mode annunciation blank and pitch mode is VNAV XXX

or FLCH SPD, cycling the A/T ARM switch to OFF and back to ARM

operates the A/T

In real aircraft, but in the PMDG 747 you don't get any A/T mode annunciated unless the flaps are set.

ki9cAAb.jpg