Sign in to follow this  
ahammerman

Autopilot Won't Engage

I cannot get autopilot to engage for the ngx. The button will click down, come back up but not engage autopilot, nor will the green bar show as if it is engaged. PLEASE HELP!

Avery Hammerman

That is not the problem. I have been flying this plane for over 4 months. There is either something wrong with my installation on my new computer or something is not set up correctly Peter.

Avery Hammerman

The autopilot has very specific requirements to engage properly.   You can't just pull the nose up off the ground and immediately hit the autopilot.     Gear must be up.   Flaps should be going up.  If you are try to LNAV autopilot is your aircraft within tolerances of your filed flight plan?    If you are just doing heading autonav, did you remember to turn on both your Flight Directors?   The manual covers all of these requirements.   If the aircraft is still not engaging autopilot even after full filling the prerequisites to engage successfully then your PMDG copy may not have installed correctly.   I have never heard of anyone's autopilot system not working though because of a 'bad install' though.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Hummm.. Normally the first thing I would think of is proper trim set, and no pressure on the yoke

when engaging.

But if it's not that, maybe something is jiggling or adding pseudo pressure to the yoke,

which could be a control or yoke calibration issue, dirty pot causing control jiggle, etc.. ??

I know that it is not the way I am operating the plane because it has never happened before until right before I decided to buy the 6/700 extension and then again once I got my new computer. Also, my trim was not set correctly this last time but it has been in the past and still doesn't work.

Thanks for all the help. Pretty stupid thing of me to not trim the plane properly. I guess you learn from your mistakes.

Avery Hammerman

if you are using a joystick you must put the gear up , have flaps retracting and also do not be pulling up on the joystick let the joystick go to its neutral position and than engage the autopilot. if you are pulling back to 20 degrees in a climb the joystick interacts with the autopilot and will click on show green and not stay on. i had this problem for sometime and not wanting the aircraft to crash never tried letting joystick go neutral for a quick second. hope this helps 

Cawd0404 I see you're brand new to these forums and know that I don't mean to be rude when I say this but the problem was already solved, and marked solve. And also you need to sign your real name, First and Last for every post. I would advise reading the forum rules which are pinned in all the sub categories of the forum. Ex: 737ngx. But thanks for the friendly advise.

Avery Hammermam