Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

What to do with old computer (not fully functional)?

I recently upgraded my computer and have a half built (ok maybe 80%), computer laying around.  I'm in Chicago, USA and was wondering if anyone can suggest good things to do with it other than keeping it for spare parts.  It's got a motherboard, first gen i7 processor, some old RAM, a GTX 285, case, and a generic DVD drive.  No power supply, HDD's.  As I can see, the components are virtually worthless by now, but I wouldn't mind making a few bucks out of it if someone could point me to a resale option (other than evil bay, I don't have the will power to do that one).  I haven't found any options on that line though.  If there are no options that would get me a little bit out of it, I'm happy to consider donation.  But even then, there seems to be little interest.  I don't intend to keep this for parts or the like, as most of them are flat out incompatible with my current build, or greatly outdated.  Thoughts?

Eric Szczesniak

Hi Eric,

I usually donate my stuff (good for tax deductions) or if it's too old then take it to e-recycle places.  If you are a seller, definitely avoid eBay ... but honestly, I think you can make the most out of it by tax deduction donation than trying to sell it.

Cheers, Rob. 

Donate it or list the parts on Ebay.

Stan

Hi Stan,

Was gone myself for six weeks.. never heard,  how was your Asia trip?

Bert

When I have a stuff like this I simply take it for free recycling to a Best Buy location which happens to be fairly close by. Otherwise you will be sitting on it and it will only take up room in your garage. I hate junk like this laying around - I don't have square feet to spare. If you don't have Best Buy close by there must be someone else.

I recently upgraded my computer and have a half built (ok maybe 80%), computer laying around.  I'm in Chicago, USA and was wondering if anyone can suggest good things to do with it other than keeping it for spare parts.  It's got a motherboard, first gen i7 processor, some old RAM, a GTX 285, case, and a generic DVD drive.  No power supply, HDD's.  As I can see, the components are virtually worthless by now, but I wouldn't mind making a few bucks out of it if someone could point me to a resale option (other than evil bay, I don't have the will power to do that one).  I haven't found any options on that line though.  If there are no options that would get me a little bit out of it, I'm happy to consider donation.  But even then, there seems to be little interest.  I don't intend to keep this for parts or the like, as most of them are flat out incompatible with my current build, or greatly outdated.  Thoughts?

I have a few old computers I use them to run old games like Ocean trader ect.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Personally, I would get the couple extra parts (power supply, HD) keep it and use it for charts/PFPX/browsing en route, etc. 

Personally, I would get the couple extra parts (power supply, HD) keep it and use it for charts/PFPX/browsing en route, etc.

That's what I do as well. Every time I build a new sim computer, my old sim rig becomes my new internet/general use computer. My sim rigs are always dedicated to just the sim and are never used for the internet, itunes, printing, movies, or anything else, so having the old rig comes in hand to fill those needs. That means the third computer that was my old general use computer either gets donated to a friend, charity, or into the trash bin.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I am too power conscious (and heat wise in the Summer), so I keep them as spare parts.  Maybe someday when I revive my cockpit building...Though the most recent iteration replaced my Intel E6300 MythTV (a DVR).

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

I agree with those that suggest making it work and using as a second computer for vPilot/FSInn, weather, charts, checklists, Acars etc.  I am using my old FS9 computer for this purpose and believe it or not still running XP on it.  Works perfectly fine and not really worried about security issues with XP because all I have on it are these few addons that help me run my sim.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Over the years I've accumulated so many computers that I now have six operational on my LAN, and another eight (including an ancient laptop) sitting around in various states of disrepair.

I even still have my really ancient 386 in the basement (still operational!) with my PC Board BBS software...

I really, really need to clean house! :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator