It's probably worth pointing out that every system should have a HDD if only for holding the page file. Moving it off an SSD will help preserve its life and the Windows will not be noticeably slower.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Idk what's scientifically better , but as you know FSX / P3D reach out to your OS for certain cfg files and profile settings. If both are on the same SSD wouldn't it be faster than if they were on separate SSD's?

Not so that you would ever notice. The SSD has a device address and the files are directly addressed on them. There might be a few microseconds of difference between having it all on the same SSD or split between two or more SSD's...

What slows things down is when you put a program onto a mechanical HDD where access times are determined more by rotational speed and the seek times of the heads...

It's probably worth pointing out that every system should have a HDD if only for holding the page file. Moving it off an SSD will help preserve its life and the Windows will not be noticeably slower.

I built my current system in 2009 and it's still going strong with page file etc on SSD.  Back then could only afford 64Gb SSD, so have Win 7 on one and FSX an another.  If I were building today I would install a 250Gb SSD and put both OS and FSX on it (might partition it though because I like backing up the system/boot partition quickly).  I wouldn't worry about too many writes etc on the SSD, based on my experience.

scott s.

I built my current system in 2009 and it's still going strong with page file etc on SSD...I wouldn't worry about too many writes etc on the SSD, based on my experience.

I don't know what the expected life of an SSD is but given the cheapness of HDDs most systems could benefit from one. I store a lot of images on mine plus it holds the Downloads folder and other misc files. Each to their own I guess.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I agree with comments regarding moving the page file to the hard drive when using the SSD for the OS. That's certainly what I do.

I also used to use hibernate a lot and don't do so any more because a) the hib file has to go on the same drive as the OS and b) running the OS on a SSD means that boot up is pretty fast anyway.

I do often use sleep rather than shutdown though if I know I'm going to turn the PC on in an hour or two.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I have been toying with the idea of putting OS and FSX on one SSD and Scenery on another SSD, any comments? I know the SSD life will be shortened with frequent access, but really, by how much and is the loading speed worth it?

I have a 240GB SSD partitioned for the OS on C: and FSX on X:.

I relegates the Addon Scenery folder, the OrbX folder and the OzX folder to separate partions on one of my 500GB 72020 RPM WD Caviar drives.

I just received my new 500 GB SSD and once I install it, those 3 folders, plus the FS2020 Mesh, will live on the new SSD in their own partitons.

As it is now, FSX runs just fine with my current setup but I wanted to have quicker access for the OrbX and Addon Scenery files so decided to spring for the 500 GB SSD.

My OrbX folder grew too large to be included in the FSX drive so I moved it off to allow for further 'growth' as more OrbX areas are released.  :)

Paul

When you install - for example - Aerosoft Mega Airports - you don't get a choice where it's installed. The installer reads the Registry to find the root FSX folder and will install scenery in a sub-folder named Aerosoft.

You would need to physically move the folder to your chosen location and manually edit scenery.cfg to point to the new location.

Not sure it's worth the hassle really. SSDs come with software which manage them quite effectively so I wouldn't worry too much about the same files being accessed more frequently than others. W7 does a good job too. Remember every time you launch FSX you're accessing the same block of memory on the SSD. Or are you? Maybe that's what the SSD management software does.

All one needs to do in the Aerosoft (or OrbX) situation is move the entire contents of that folder to the ROOT of another drive (an empty partition on any drive) and leave the EMPTY Aerosoft foler in the FSX directory. Then use the Win7 Disk Management utility to"Mount in the following empty NTFS folder".

Right click on the drive/partition where you moved the files, Select "Change drive letter or paths", then "Add". Point it at the empty Aerosoft folder in FSX, click OK and you are done.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I don't know what the expected life of an SSD

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4178/hardwareinfo-tests-lifespan-of-samsung-ssd-840-250gb-tlc-ssd-updated-with-final-conclusion

Now you do. :) Bottom line is that at typical usage patterns you'll get around a quarter century of use out of them - which means that their greatest risk is obsolescence, not flash failure.

I have two SSDs in my machine and I just treat them as regular storage devices.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

The 160GB Intel X-25M I first used for my primary FS machine in 2009 is now the boot drive in my primary general-purpose machine (web surfing, e-mail etc).  The Intel SSD toolbox utility is still reporting 100% life remaining on that device.  Truth be told, if you have 4GB+ of RAM in your system, your page file is living a lonesome life, with nearly all program memory access handled directly in physical RAM with no need for page swaps.

Indeed, that 3GB/s SATA II Intel SSD has survived long enough to become obsolete on my FS machine, where I'm now using a bigger faster 256GB Samsung 850Pro with a 6GB/s SATA III interface.

Cheers

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case