Sign in to follow this  
capceo

Flying the Conquest II - By the Numbers

Generally speaking, we flight plan for 305KTAS, at 600pph. 

I'll remind everyone that when flight planning, it is important to think of fuel consumption in terms of endurance. NOT range. How many hours of fuel you will have at a given power setting is what's important. 

Takeoff is maximum torque with rotation at 100kts indicated. The airplane has PLENTY of reserve power, even at MTOW. Although the airplane is capable of doing better, most pilots personal minimum runway length is 2500ft. 2500ft is comfortable for both takeoff and landing at higher weights, but you'll need an aggressive acceleration on takeoff, and a good amount of reverse to stop in a comfortable distance. While FSX doesn't allow reverse to be simulated as accurately as we would've liked, the real 441 has a tremendous amount of reverse thrust. In fact, full reverse is virtually never used. The stopping power is so great that it can be very uncomfortable for passengers. Brakes are never needed to stop the airplane even on the shortest of runways. Most pilots choose to use them on taxi only for precise maneuvering. 

Climb is 180-200kts indicated at maximum torque. At average weights, this will yield 2000fpm. At higher weights, 1500fpm. You can absolutely climb at a lower torque value and accept a lower climb rate if you want to save the engines. 

Cruise power is usually slightly below maximum torque. If you climb up into the FL250-350 range, you'll fly with the power levers all the way forward and take however much torque the engines will give. Up there, you can't exceed maximum torque, as the engines typically torque out around FL220. 

To really take advantage of the maximum range of the aircraft, you'll have to climb up towards the aircrafts service ceiling of 35,000 feet. Up in the 30's, you'll see a slightly slower TAS, usually around 295, but you'll only be burning around 400-500pph. Of course, going this high only makes sense if you aren't fighting a nasty headwind. 

The airplane typically delivers its best performance (again, unless headwinds are a factor) in the low to mid 20's. Up there you'll see 600pph and over 300 true. 

Descent is usually as necessary in terms of speed and power. 

Initial approach speed is usually around 170kts indicated. Over the fence at 110, over the numbers at 100. You should have the wheels on the pavement at around 90kts. 

If you are flying an instrument approach in IMC, no lower than blue line (130kts) until you have the runway environment in sight. This ensures that should you need to execute a missed approach, you'll have plenty of reserve airspeed and won't end up doing a go-around while you're very slow at only 200ft AGL in IMC. 

Joe - Chief Pilot & Lead Tester - Flysimware Simulation Software

Captain - Gulfstream IV-SP

ATP/CFI/AGI/EMB-505/LR-JET/G-IV

When you say "maximum torque" for take off, does that mean just below the yellow band on the torque indicators? Full throttle will put the torque indicators beyond the red band.

Thanks for the by the numbers post, it will help us fly it more accurately.

-Bob

When you say "maximum torque" for take off, does that mean just below the yellow band on the torque indicators? Full throttle will put the torque indicators beyond the red band.

Thanks for the by the numbers post, it will help us fly it more accurately.

-Bob

Maximum torque in this airplane is basically with the needles on the yellow line, just below redline.

Yes. It is very important that you do not exceed maximum torque. In the real airplane, you advance power until the needles are below red line, and stop. You never rely on the torque limiters to do their job. (And they aren't modeled due to limitations in FS, so you really have to keep an eye on them!)

Excellent Joe, thanks for the clarification and quick response. Nice model, I'm having a blast with it.

-Bob

Excellent Joe, thanks for the clarification and quick response. Nice model, I'm having a blast with it.

-Bob

That's what I like to hear! Let me know if I can help out in any other way.

Hi Joe,

Just bought the plane yesterday. Very nice! Do you have any rule of thumb torque settings for various phases of an approach?

Coming into the pattern, 1000ft/lbs tends to work very nicely. A gradual reduction to 500-600ft/lbs on final approach is generally best, but these figures are a tad weight dependent. They should be a good starting point for you to feel it out and develop good technique.

Joe,

How about climb power? I've been running just below the yellow band. What's correct for this bird?

-Bob

Joe,

How about climb power? I've been running just below the yellow band. What's correct for this bird?

-Bob

Climb power is generally just below the yellow arc.

Thanks!

No problem!

I was wondering are the other training videos are still planned.   They are very informative and really helps learning about the 441.

Thanks.

I was wondering are the other training videos are still planned.   They are very informative and really helps learning about the 441.

Thanks.

The short answer is, "kind of." I never got a lot of feedback on the tutorial videos, and many of them never accumulated a significant number of views. I've been very busy lately working side by side with Mark making sure that our MU-2 is top notch. The MU-2 will absolutely be complimented with a full lineup of training videos.

Whether or not the last two (or three?) 441 videos will be completed is solely dependent on how much time I can afford to spend away from the development of the MU-2.

If more videos become available, I will absolutely let the forum readers know as soon as that happens.

Hope that answers your question.

• Upvote 1

The short answer is, "kind of." I never got a lot of feedback on the tutorial videos, and many of them never accumulated a significant number of views. I've been very busy lately working side by side with Mark making sure that our MU-2 is top notch. The MU-2 will absolutely be complimented with a full lineup of training videos.

Whether or not the last two (or three?) 441 videos will be completed is solely dependent on how much time I can afford to spend away from the development of the MU-2.

If more videos become available, I will absolutely let the forum readers know as soon as that happens.

Hope that answers your question.

Sorry to hear that.   The main reason for the skimpy manual according to the first training video was because you were going to make these videos and now you may not make them.   Most of us have never piloted this aircraft like you have and some of us want to learn to how to pilot it as realistic as possible.   I hate to sound negative but maybe before starting a new project you should make sure the current aircraft is completely finished and that includes documentation, if no videos then a more detailed manual, even checklists and short flying guide would help.   You advertise about the realistic simulation of these engines but it would be nice to know what is the proper procedures after engine start to shut down.   I can use the information from the start of this thread as a start but most of the experienced flight simmers around would like some more detail.   I am really enjoying this aircraft and just want to get most out of it.

Thanks for listening.

From what I see, 3 things sell a plane. VC, Model, Flight model. VC for 441 is ok could have being better, I hope the MU2 is better. The model looks good,but i am afraid, the paint kit seems like a last minute throw in, that will put many off, most expect a photoshop layered Kit and some bump map. The plane itself is a joy to fly hands on. Give us a better paintkit, more repaints will show up and that might give you some more sales.