Sign in to follow this  
James79

4930k second hand or 4790k new ?

Hello

So I was all set to order a 4790k cpu, motherboard and 16gb ram combo next week this bundle will be around £550ish and then today I get offered a x79 sabertooth 32gb ram and a almost brand new 4930k 6 core for £400 cash from a friend, I have seen this second hand system running and it works perfect.

I currently have  a 2600k + gtx970 and ssds right now and my only interests gaming wise are prepar3d, arma 2/3/dayz sa  and iracing I only game on my machine I don't do anything else.

Now buy second hand and save £150 or buy new ?

James.

I would buy new because the 4790k has better single core performance, will you put the 970 into your new build?

Hello

So I was all set to order a 4790k cpu, motherboard and 16gb ram combo next week this bundle will be around £550ish and then today I get offered a x79 sabertooth 32gb ram and a almost brand new 4930k 6 core for £400 cash from a friend, I have seen this second hand system running and it works perfect.

I currently have  a 2600k + gtx970 and ssds right now and my only interests gaming wise are prepar3d, arma 2/3/dayz sa  and iracing I only game on my machine I don't do anything else.

Now buy second hand and save £150 or buy new ?

James.

It looks like the used system, with the SSD's and gtx970 you already have is worth getting. You won't actually realize a lot of performance increase with the 4790K over the 4930K...

I would buy new because the 4790k has better single core performance, will you put the 970 into your new build?

Yes the 970 will be going into it.

What is your 2600 clocked at?

4.4ghz However my son is inheriting it for xmas. 

It looks like the used system, with the SSD's and gtx970 you already have is worth getting. You won't actually realize a lot of performance increase with the 4790K over the 4930K...

I think im gonna go with the 4930k the £150 saving could go on the a2a 182 the f1 gtn 650 and some more ftx scenery me thinks but im not 100% decided yet, for resale value on ebay I would probably break even if I didn't want to keep it.

Of course a lot depends on the overclock possibilities of the 4930k vs the hypothetical 4790k but pure bang for buck, the 4790k will never be 37% better which is how much more expensive it would be.