Sign in to follow this  
soldano

Autolanding speed

I noticed that if I autoland the B777 at the FMC indicated aproach speed, it touches at an unusual high angle of attack, almost hitting the tail, so I must add almost 10/15 knots in order to land properly.- Is that an issue ?

Thanks

Jorge

Is that an issue ?

Can you be a little more specific?

What is your weight? What is your approach speed? What is your angle of attack (or better yet, what is your pitch indication on the PFD)?

Kyle Rodgers

No, I am using flap 25

Can you answer the questions I posted earlier?

?

Can you be a little more specific?

What is your weight? What is your approach speed? What is your angle of attack (or better yet, what is your pitch indication on the PFD)?

Also, real names are required to be added to your post:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/245586-you-must-sign-your-full-real-name-to-posts-to-use-this-forum-posts-without-names-will-be-deleted/

Kyle Rodgers

No, I am using flap 25

That's strange - autoland is available at F30 only in my aircraft (well and F20, but that's for single-engine)

That's strange - autoland is available at F30 only in my aircraft (well and F20, but that's for single-engine)

If not properly configured, that might be part of the cause, honestly.

Kyle Rodgers

I think Kyle has hit on your problem. Likely carrying too much weight for landing. Check your fuel and payload settings and dial them back. Try a test flight around the airport using 75 per cent payload and 25 tonnes of fuel and see if that makes a difference for landing. Also make sure you are using the approach speed.

Just want to add that you are supposed to use the FMC indicated landing speed +5 knots as your target speed in the MCP.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

No Autoland with flaps25....see limitations chapter L.10.6!

(That does not mean that I am saying PMDG has simulated autoland with flaps 25 correctly or not.....no idea......but try a flaps 30 autoland).

Not sure what you mean by available...?

If you keep the AP engaged I think it will try to do an autoland even with flaps 0.

(or at least....I have never heard of a feature that will disengage the AFDS when you approach the rwy with no flaps).

But I imagine that the AFDS is not programmed to properly flare and retard thrust at the resulting speeds and descend rates to make it a "nice" landing.

Which is why there is the limitation to use flaps 20 and 30 only.

Rob Robson

Not sure what you mean by available...?

If you keep the AP engaged I it will try to do an autoland even with flaps 0.

Yeah, it will do so, of course, well.

bdEFXlN.jpg

Still. 

L.10.6

Also, the NO AUTOLAND announced on PFD. That's what I meant.

Also, the NO AUTOLAND announced on PFD. That's what I meant.

I was not trying to tell you one should try autolands with flaps 0. I was just trying to explain what I think the system would do.

You get NO AUTOLAND if you approach with flaps 25?

Interesting....I have never done a normal landing with flaps25 (but maybe for a non normal in the sim) so I would have to look up if that message should be there or not when you land with flaps 25,15,5,1,0

Could be...makes sence too.

In that case.....Mmm. I guess Idle, flare and rollout mode will never engage and thus autoland is not available at all.

but in that case the OP must have tried an Autoland with flaps25 while having NO AUTLAND on his PFD??

Rob Robson

In that case.....Mmm. I guess Idle, flare and rollout mode will never engage and thus autoland is not available at all.

That they aren't announced doesn't mean they aren't armed or won't actually activate...

As I said,

bdEFXlN.jpg

That they aren't announced doesn't mean they aren't armed or won't actually activate...

As I said,

bdEFXlN.jpg

(I can do without the pictures.)

Yes that is exactly what it means!

Once below 1500ft RA you should get Flare and Rollout (white=armed).

If you do not get that, but get the NO AUTOLAND message instead....then those modes will not activate or arm or engage or whatever.

see FCOMv2 page 4.10.16

Also,

Flap 20 is not just for single engine!

Flaps 20 is used often for single engine landings, but also for many other non normal conditions.

And single engine you can land with flaps 30 as well.

Rob Robson

Flap 20 is not just for single engine!

Flaps 20 is used often for single engine landings, but also for many other non normal conditions.

And single engine you can land with flaps 30 as well.

Fair enough, might be company specific, the info I was coming from.