Sign in to follow this  
rickalty

Computer glitch... No "new file' option

Guest Lindy

Yesterday while installing some new scenery (the installation of which is totally irrelevant to this post), I right clicked my mouse to create a new file. Imagine my dismay to find out there was no longer any option for "new file" listed in the menu that appeared!!! :-eek I make new files all the time, so I really need to get this ability back, but haven't a clue as to why it no longer works. The only major change I've made recently is I updated my nVidia video card drivers to version 56.63 (or 56.64). And I can't believe that change would have had such an effect on Windows.For what it's worth, I'm running Win98SE. Any comments, suggestions, advice?? Thanks in advance. -Lindy :-rotor:-wave

Exactly were do you right-click to get a New File? I right-click on the desktop and get New, Folder or Shortcut above the separator and below the separator is a list of various programs, Office Projects, Text Document, etc. I opened Word, Wordpad, and Notepad and don't have this menu item when I right-click the document.W. Sieffert

Guest Lindy

Of course if you open a document, you won't get this option. I have created "new" files for years.... I know when and how to do it. The option is no longer available to me. It's not showing up on the Desktop nor does it show up any longer if I'm in a folder or directory window, such as C://unzipped (the default location of my unzipped files).I simply cannot guess what happened. I've checked through window settings and anyplace else I could think of, although I made no changes to any of those settings.Thanks for the response though. I appreciate the feedback.-Lindy

What type of new file are you trying to create, and where did you used to be able to right click to get a "create new file' option? I'm asking for my own interest, as I've never seen a "Create new file" option other than in an application such as Word or Excel or whatever.Richard

Guest Lindy

Richard -- for example: right click anywhere on your desktop. In the menu that appears, you should see an option for "New...." Scroll your cursor over that choice; another menu will appear that allows you to create a new "folder" or "shortcut" plus possibly a few other choices as well. (And I should clarify here.... I'm trying to create a new FOLDER. Sorry about the confusion.) Up until the other day, I was not having any problems. I create new folders all the time, using this right click menu choice. But now that option has disappeared. Strange, to say the least. -Lindy :-wave

G'day Lindy,I had exactly the same problem ; I no exactly how you feel :-(I also have Win 98 SE ,an Nvidia FX card and downloaded and installed the latest 56.64 drivers so it's good to see that the cause of the problem is the driver. These cards use "Nview" which is a windows based multi-monitor display. There may be a much simpler cure than below, but it did work and was very easy. I must admit to some trepidation at the thought of having to re-install all my drivers again but as it turned out it wasn't necessary.The cure was easy. Just place your win98 SE CD in your CD rom drive and run setup. This installs win 98SE over the top of your current operating system. All my personal settings/passwords/drivers/desktop were retained so there was no real hassle; just a 30 minute wait whilst windows does its thing.It fixed everything and once again the "new - folder/file" menu was as it should be.Read the FLY! general discussion forum - you get all the good info there; :-)Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest Lindy

It's interesting that the drivers caused this annoying problem.-Lindy :-wave

G'day Lindy,The Nvidia cards do interact with windows operating system as I said in my previous post to manipulate the onscreen displays for multiple monitors. I guess the software engineers at Nvidia didn't pick up on this little glitch with Win 98 SE. The really annoying thing was that with Fly! II I lost the landing/taxi lights with the 56.64 driver and also the original Fly! would no longer work. There was no perceptable advantage to using the new driver. Such was my disgust with the new driver that I went back to using the earlier 45.23 driver. ( which I am very happy with! :-) ) I have no idea whether the new driver offers any advantage/disadvantage with the microsoft sims.I hope you cure the problem with no hassles.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Lindy:>>(And I should clarify here.... I'm trying to create a new FOLDER. Sorry about the confusion.) Ok, New FOLDER! I was all confuesed as I'd never seen any way to right click and create a new FILE. I can't think of anything that would make that option dissapear though, it's a windows default option. I'll have a look at some troubleshooting stuff and get back to you if I come up with anything.Richard