Sign in to follow this  
argileh

Able to see folders on other PC, yet can not access themS

I am trying to network two PCs but facing a hurdle.

Both running Windows 7, 64 bit.

PCs are connected via a switch. They are on the same LAN, same Workgroup, same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). One has IP 192.168.1.200, the other 192.168.1.220.

On both PCs, I have shared the C drives, selected "Everyone" with full rights.

I am logged in as Administrtor on both PC.

From each PC, I can see the C drive of the other PC, but when I click on it to access it, I get a message that I have no permission to access the folder.

Any idea where I am gong wrong.

You may try Making sure your network "Workgroup" is named the same on all computers. That has caused me to be able to see but not share.

You may try Making sure your network "Workgroup" is named the same on all computers. That has caused me to be able to see but not share.

It is the same Workgroup. Triple checked.

What's the syntax you use when mapping the drive?

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

What's the syntax you use when mapping the drive?

pj

I have not mapped them yet. I click on the drive directly.

Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Map Network Drive:

Accept the offered drive letter - usually "Z", and type in the next line (without the quotes - and POGO is the name of my wife's machine - yours will be something different)

"\\POGO\C$"

You may also want to log in using a normal username to the other machine - not the Administrator name...

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

As quick addon to the above - a good move would also be to put your desired shared folders on a different drive completely, and share it - not the C drive. That way you will have access to all of the drive - you being the owner/creator. In the case of sharing the C drive - the system's hidden users will not permit "easy" sharing of most of the C drive folders.

pj

Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Map Network Drive:

Accept the offered drive letter - usually "Z", and type in the next line (without the quotes - and POGO is the name of my wife's machine - yours will be something different)

"\\POGO\C$"

You may also want to log in using a normal username to the other machine - not the Administrator name...

Paul, thanks for you help.

Tried your suggestions, but I still get the no permission message. I am bewildered.

You have a normal user on both machines, and are using that user to map the drive: After you've entered the mapping address - you are presented with a login interface. Is that user the owner of the folder, and does it have full permission granted? Some pics of this process are here. How much of this do you see?

Another note: (sorry!)

Here's a series of pics to show the process of changing network permissions on the pc. I've removed the "Everybody" user, and replaced it with "pj"., as "Everybody" includes the whole world......

Capture 9 shows some system items that should be checked, too.

While you're about it - take a look at the "HomeGroup" sharing system of W7. It may work a little easier maybe?