Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Embraer EMB-500/Phenom 100 Crash in Gaithersburg, Maryland

GAITHERSBURG, Md. — A small, private jet has crashed into a house in Maryland's Montgomery County, and a fire official says at least three people on board were killed.
Read more at http://www.wral.com/plane-crashes-into-maryland-house-in-dc-suburbs/14256846/#1zwT6ZqlE0Ugwo5v.99

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I've been watching it on Fox as there is live coverage on all local Washington DC channels. There may be some family members who lost their lives in one house. Hopefully not. I immediately did a search for the Embraer emb-500/Phenom 100 (tail number N100EQ out of NC is said to be the aircraft involved), which was said to have crashed, and checked out the Carenardo version. It shows two pilots so wondering if there were two pilots and one passenger on board. The blackbox has been recovered so we should know soon what happened. There was a low ceiling so the runway probably did not appear until about a mile out. My thoughts and prayers for those on board and those who might have perished on the ground.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Apparently a mom with 2 young children were killed in one of the houses involved, so 6 fatalities total. Heard on the radio that it may have been caused from a bird ingested into an engine, which caused either engine failure or malfunction.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Apparently a mom with 2 young children were killed in one of the houses involved, so 6 fatalities total. Heard on the radio that it may have been caused from a bird ingested into an engine, which caused either engine failure or malfunction.

Yeah, the ATC recording of it indicated a large amount of birds in the area.  I was really hoping the mom and two kids had not been in the house so that is absolutely terrible news.  And terrible news for all involved.

Mitchell Haughee

Heard on the radio that it may have been caused from a bird ingested into an engine, which caused either engine failure or malfunction.

What we hear on the radio there are birds in the area - some say perhaps more than usual.

But I wouldn't jump to conclusion. The very same pilot Michael J.Rosenberg was involved in another accident at the same airport in 2010 - he destroyed TBM-700

during a botched go-around (NTSB put all blame on him) but no one was hurt. 

checked out the Carenardo version. It shows two pilots so wondering if there were two pilots and one passenger on board.

Jim, the Phenom is certified for single pilot operation, so the three on board might have been a pilot and two passengers or 2 pilots and a single passenger.

Either way, my thoughts go out to all of those involved.

But I wouldn't jump to conclusion. The very same pilot Michael J.Rosenberg was involved in another accident at the same airport in 2010 - he destroyed TBM-700

during a botched go-around (NTSB put all blame on him) but no one was hurt. 

Well that's certainly disturbing to hear, but as you say - don't want to jump to any conclusions

Scott

Well that's certainly disturbing to hear, but as you say - don't want to jump to any conclusions

We can certainly begin to jump to such conclusions after the recent NTSB press conference about this accident.

In all likelihood birds had nothing to do with this catastrophe.

At the NTSB’s media briefing yesterday for the Phenom 100 crash at Montgomery County Airpark (GAI) in Maryland on Monday morning, December 8, NTSB member Robert Sumwalt said the aircraft’s flight data recorder produced good quality data. Initial findings show that with both the landing gear and flaps down, “automated stall warnings began about 20 seconds before the end of the flight” and continued to the end of the recording at impact.

The recorder also tracked large changes in pitch and roll beginning about the time the aircraft reached its lowest airspeed, approximately 88 knots. Sumwalt said, “Two seconds after the aircraft reached its lowest speed, the throttles increased power and the engines responded.” 

Initial investigation of the wreckage does not indicate a pre-impact engine fire or failure, Sumwalt said. Early reports of local bird activity were explained as birds seen on the airport and not, as was first thought, along the Runway 14 final approach course. There is no evidence NTSB said birds were ingested into the engines or struck the jet. The Board also said that weather does not appear to have been a factor.

The Phenom 100, N100EQ, was manufactured in April this year. It was certified for and being operated with a single pilot and a passenger in the right seat, according to the NTSB. The pilot held an ATP and a type rating in the aircraft as well as a CFI certificate and had logged 4,500 flying hours before the accident.

Sumwalt confirmed that the same pilot was involved in a 2010 aircraft accident but offered no specifics. The December 8 accident claimed the lives of all three people on board the Phenom and three more in the house the aircraft struck