Sign in to follow this  
JoeDiamond

Can't feather props in flight?

I didn't have the choice as the consumer to decide if that compromise was acceptable to me because it was not disclosed.

Yes you did, if feather a prop is a deal breaker for you and you don't see it in the description, you can always contact the developer and ask them directly whatever you want to know about the product before making the purchase, This is by far one of the easiest to reach vendors I have seen with very short response time and would have been easy for you to know if the product was suitable for you or not.

I apologize and I rarely post in a forum but in this case I feel obligated as I believe that your comments are a bit unfair and very subjective when you recommend people not to buy this product. I have been supporting this vendor from a long time and if there is something I can say is how they ( or should I say he, because I believe the modeler is just 1 person) raise the bar with every release, giving us something new and different. Yes, they are not perfect but they do their best to give us a good product with great support and customer care.

Ok then, which Turboprop addon (non Garret) do you consider flawless.

You knew going in that FSX had limitations, admittedly the Devs did not advertise the lack of feathering and the reasons they had for not including it..

But a quick question here would have got you the answer you needed and saved you from spending your money.

Get ready to spend lots of cash on flawed addons it is the nature of the platform, there are flaws in every third party product I own, compromise is needed if you are to fully enjoy this Game.

There I have said it.... It's a 7 year old consumer game product, just enjoy it for what it  is, it will never be perfect.

It does get close though on occasions.

I will leave everything at this:

I can appreciate that the reason people use flight simulators is to practice procedures that are too dangerous to perform in the aircraft. If a Level-D simulator is what you are looking for, you can buy an hour in one for about the price of ten copies of FSX. 

It is absolutely correct that we made a conscious compromise. A fact which I have repeatedly stated on this thread, many have supported, and one has opposed. I'm sorry that our rendition hasn't satisfied you. Your attitude speaks volumes however. Another individual was quick to suggest a way to integrate prop feathering that we may not have thought of. That's where his brain went. Yours immediately went into bash mode, and that is your right if that is how you choose to do business. It is not, however, how we choose to do business.

I can tell you that from my real world experience in the 441, the Garrett simulation is 98% faithful to the real thing. I don't know if the dissatisfied individual has ever flown a 441, but our simulation more than satisfies my realism bug. We even added a feature on the control panel in Rev 1.4 to turn the propeller by hand with the engine shut down. Just so you can follow the after shutdown checklist (10 revolutions) to a tee. But according to some, none of this matters if you can't feather the props, a feature which has a statistical chance of being necessary in real life of 1:1,000,000,000, and a statistical chance of ZERO of being necessary in FSX.

So with that said, I would like to thank everyone for being so supportive of this product. We believe it is a tremendous step forward for both Flight Simulator, and our company. We look forward to revealing more about our next project soon! A few of you may already know, but for those who don't, just know that it's got Garrett's!

Joe - Chief Pilot & Lead Tester - Flysimware Simulation Software

Captain - Gulfstream IV-SP

ATP/CFI/AGI/EMB-505/LR-JET/G-IV

Without going into detail I will say that Joe has contacted me in a prompt and courteous manner and has resolved my issue satisfactorily.  While I may disagree with some aspects of this product, customer service is not one of them.

It does get close though on occasions.

It does.  Companies like A2A, RealAir and PMDG just to name a few have done quite well.  A big part of the reason for their success is that they only take on projects they know can be done without compromise.

Without going into detail I will say that Joe has contacted me in a prompt and courteous manner and has resolved my issue satisfactorily.  While I may disagree with some aspects of this product, customer service is not one of them.

It does.  Companies like A2A, RealAir and PMDG just to name a few have done quite well.  A big part of the reason for their success is that they only take on projects they know can be done without compromise.

One of those companies that you just listed did a twin turboprop commuter airplane powered by Garrett engines. They had to make compromises left right and sideways. Our simulation is actually closer to the real thing. And I'm fairly certain that product was almost double the price of ours. Don't believe me, go compare the propeller startup animations on each aircraft.

Those companies don't compromise? We all compromise.

It seems, in my humble opinion, that this thread has become primarily about giving JoeDiamond an audience to air his views (which I maintain he is over-valuing, as some sort of objective basis).

Mad dog raised an excellent point - if you did not see "fully featherable props" in the list of features, then you should not have assumed such a feature (which is outside the limitations of FSX) was part of the product.    I would have liked the ability to have watched a full DVD of my choice while sitting in the cabin, within the product - but as it wasn't listed in the features, I didn't expect it.   :wink:

You've (more than) made your point JoeDiamond, and as you now have your refund, perhaps you can let the matter lie and stop constantly detracting from an excellent product that offers so much.

A big part of the reason for their success is that they only take on projects they know can be done without compromise.

.........this is complete nonsense.   Every one of those developers would freely admit a high degree of comprimise in their product.   They must just be lucky that their comprimises come with your approval, that's all.

Me thinks time to close this thread.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Me thinks time to close this thread.

:drinks:

if you did not see "fully featherable props" in the list of features, then you should not have assumed such a feature (which is outside the limitations of FSX) was part of the product.

You are right, forgive me for assuming a basic function of a propeller wasn't included.  Your comparison with the DVD player borders on ridiculous.  If you were purchasing a model with a constant speed propeller do you think you should have to confirm that you can indeed control the RPM, or would that be a poor assumption as well?

But according to some, none of this matters if you can't feather the props, a feature which has a statistical chance of being necessary in real life of 1:1,000,000,000, and a statistical chance of ZERO of being necessary in FSX.

But you feel it's important to include a feature to spin the props by hand after shutdown?  I'm pretty certain residual heat buildup after shutdown has zero chances of causing problems in FSX.  It's a gimmicky feature that you will use once and think "that's cool" and never use it again.  I would think the time spent to develop gimmicky features could be better spent solving real problems such as, say, engine out handling?

You are right, forgive me for assuming a basic function of a propeller wasn't included. Your comparison with the DVD player borders on ridiculous. If you were purchasing a model with a constant speed propeller do you think you should have to confirm that you can indeed control the RPM, or would that be a poor assumption as well?

But you feel it's important to include a feature to spin the props by hand after shutdown? I'm pretty certain residual heat buildup after shutdown has zero chances of causing problems in FSX. It's a gimmicky feature that you will use once and think "that's cool" and never use it again. I would think the time spent to develop gimmicky features could be better spent solving real problems such as, say, engine out handling?

To those of you that are enjoying the product, thank you.

For those of you who have provided constructive criticism, thank you.

Just because you can't feather the props now, doesn't mean you won't be able to in a future revision. We will keep you posted, as we always do!

Thread locked.

You are right, forgive me for assuming a basic function of a propeller wasn't included. Your comparison with the DVD player borders on ridiculous. If you were purchasing a model with a constant speed propeller do you think you should have to confirm that you can indeed control the RPM, or would that be a poor assumption as well?

But you feel it's important to include a feature to spin the props by hand after shutdown? I'm pretty certain residual heat buildup after shutdown has zero chances of causing problems in FSX. It's a gimmicky feature that you will use once and think "that's cool" and never use it again. I would think the time spent to develop gimmicky features could be better spent solving real problems such as, say, engine out handling?

To those of you that are enjoying the product, thank you.

For those of you who have provided constructive criticism, thank you.

Just because you can't feather the props now, doesn't mean you won't be able to in a future revision. We will keep you posted, as we always do!

Thread locked.

• Upvote 1