Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

PNG Tour #1 - Rabaul to Long Island

PNG Tour #1 - Rabaul to Long Island

Since the first leg of this tour starts at Rabaul which was a strategic stronghold of the Japanese military in World War II, participants are encouraged to fly an appropriate period aircraft.

The PNG tour starts at Tokua (AYTK) on the opposite side of the Rabaul caldera.  After taking off turn towards the first waypoint which is the location of the destroyed town of Rabaul passing the active volcano Tavurvur and another nearby volcano, Vulcan.  After passing over Rabaul town waypoint the route turns south (HDG 222) for 70nm to Sule (SULE) a 3000’ grass field on the coast beneath the nearby Ulawun volcano.  Depart SULE (HDG 212) for 27nm and land at Biala (BIA).  Depart Biala (HDG 250) for 37nm to Hoskins (AYHK).   From Hoskins fly 26nm (HDG 290) to Talasea  (TLS).  Depart Talasea (HDG 257) 94nm to Cape Gloucester (CPG).  Choosing an appropriate aircraft, depart Cape Gloucester (HDG 267) 84nm to Long Island (LIS).

PNG_1%2B-%2BB17.jpg

Recommended Scenery:  This post has a complete list of the scenery recommendations for the PNG tour.

Recommended Aircraft: For this first leg (only) I am recommending warbirds. I will be flying the A2A B-17, but the freeware C-47 is also a great choice. Any of the fighters (Spit, Kittyhawk, Thunderbolt, Mustang, Corsair, and Grumman cats) are welcome as well but they will have to wait for us if they dash ahead. As always you can fly anything you like, but I would really enjoy some company in the Flying Fortress. Some great Pacific theatre repaints here:

A2A B-17 Pacific Theatre Repaints

If we get three in the air we might try a flying in formation.

I will fly Suzy Q, but the history of Yankee Doodle is interesting.

NOTAM:  The airstrip at Long Island is slightly less than 2000’ so getting the B-17 in to that strip will require some skill. I plan to switch into the C-47 at Cape Gloucester.

PNG_1%2B-%2BC47-2.jpg

Time: Saturday Dec 13, 19:00 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

The digital flightplan (in FSX format) and route narrative is available from the DropBox location here.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

I will be joining this flight in Manfred Jahn's C-47, wearing the paint of "Margie", an aircraft believed to have been operating in the Solomon Islands (close enough?) during WW2:

Margie.jpg?dl=0

On the question of scenery: I've already got the PNG Holgermesh installed along with FTX Global textures and I will be getting the Orbx AYPY Jacksons package.  However I'm going to hold on to my pennies and pass on the PIS package.  It looks like half or maybe just over half of the airstrips exist in FSX already. 

Why am I wittering on about this?  Well, in the plan for this Saturday are Talasea and Long Island - which aren't in FSX.  This evening I've been experimenting with ADE and I've built very basic representations of these two strips (as in there's a runway and not much else).  Initial testing looks OK. This means I'll be able to land with you guys and be in approximately the same place (and hopefully at about the same elevation!).  If anyone else wants to fly along but doesn't have the PIS package, I can make these basic strips available to everyone.  It's just a few BGL files that need to be dropped into a folder and activated, nothing difficult.

It actually didn't take long once I established the method, so I can do this all the way through our travels in PNG.

Hi Guys , Looks like I`m going to be able to make this one . ATM planning to fly another B-17  "Sentimental Journey" for a bit of formation .

A little history here http://www.azcaf.org/pages/sentjourn.html

Repaint here  http://www.mikesrepaints.com/b17g.html    At the bottom :)

All the best  

TEAM AVSIM "Fly Anything" Member     BAW 1193

Boeing777_Banner_TechTeam.jpgBry_zps718b876b.png

As I don't have, nor will I get, the B-17 it'll be interesting as to what I will see y'all as! Is there a four engined trike?

My P-47 is airworthy in between crashes and tests are coming along nicely.

Is there a way to make the default DC-3 appear for the C-47s?

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Ron,

I think there is, but I can't remember the process.  I think Roman can help with this. 

I would encourage you to go ahead and download and install the Manfred Jahn's C-47 V2.  It's a very good looking rendtition with outstanding paints available.  Even if you don't fly it, those of us who do use it will look much better than if you use an alias to the default DC3.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Ron,

I think there is, but I can't remember the process.  I think Roman can help with this. 

I would encourage you to go ahead and download and install the Manfred Jahn's C-47 V2.  It's a very good looking rendtition with outstanding paints available.  Even if you don't fly it, those of us who do use it will look much better than if you use an alias to the default DC3.

I did download it it a while ago but deleted it. Couldn't be arsed with the faffing! It kept blowing up!

I've re-installed it.

I'll join you in the P-47, Ron! Haven't decided on which paint job to use, though.

I had a go at LIS with the P-47... it will be... interesting.

Top man! I'm just about getting the hang of landing it. Oops! What HAVE I said?

Ron,

I will have a FS2004 package ready for anyone who needs it as a temporary MP alias. It will not have the exact paints but will have 5 different paints so each will have it's own personality. Going to make a P-47 package too that will have the same attributes as the 17, paintwise. Not exact, but different for each pilot.. Will be up later this eve or early morning tomorrow.   Not sure about the DX10 thing though, will just have to try.

Good show Nick Re: BGLs

Here's a nice pic of my co-pilot checking out the spreadsheet making sure you'all are filling it out correctly.. Notice the calendar, rather fitting for the upcoming flights. Thanks Jeff.  She was in FINE form last night.. LOL 

DSC00003.jpg

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

WOW! what an exercise in futility.. 

Found a nice FS9 B-17 w/ multiple paints - Problem, shows up nice in model convertorX, shows up in FSX with a giant see through hole in the vertical stab.

Found a FS9 P-47 w/ multiple paints (ALPHA freeware) - Problem, completely pooches up FSX.

Found a FSX converted "Gnoopey" P-47 - Problem, probably not authorized and some paints did not work. The original "Gnoopey" P-47 for FS9 has way too many options & probability of failure due to some gauges.

Will go with this - Found a FSX native AI pack. Note - All B-17 and P-47 drivers will have the same respective paint. It's a heck of alot better than seeing the trike.

PM me if you need the B-17 and/or P-47 PROXY.  Note - there will be some mods that will have to made once DC and/or Josh give up their paint title. Will have a NOTAM once these are known. Other than that it is all set up as long a one doesn't change their paint before Saturday.

Multiplayer tool output -

OK-(6)     [Douglas C-47 ATC 1308]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Douglas_C-47_V2\aircraft.cfg
OK-(10)     [Douglas R4D VMJ-253 Margie]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Douglas_C-47_V2\aircraft.cfg
OK-(0)     [Boeing B-17G Suzy-Q]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\PROXY B17\aircraft.cfg
OK-(1)     [Boeing B-17G Yankee Doodle]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\PROXY B17\aircraft.cfg
OK-(2)     [Boeing B-17G "44-83514, Sentimental Journey, C.A.F. Arizona Wing"]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\PROXY B17\aircraft.cfg
OK-(1)     [P-47D-23-RA 341st FS]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\PROXY P47\aircraft.cfg
OK-(0)     [F8F2 Bearcat]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\F8F-2_FSX_Modified\Aircraft.cfg 

Screen_12112014_123724.jpg

Screen_12112014_123629.jpg

You're making my head hurt Roman! I've downloaded a shed load of C-47 skins and your Bearcat.

(Interesting story about Bearcats: I bought the Virtual Studios Bearcat a long time ago and you prompted me to re-install it. Off I went to FSPilotshop to re-download it. They wanted $5 for me to do that! I emailed them with a hint, only a hint mind you, of sarcasm. The emailed me back very promptly and said "Sorry about that, we've given you 20 more downloads". So I re-installed it and remembered why I uninstalled it in the first place! Sheesh!)

You've gotta be helluva busy all day. Cleaning, cooking, changing diapers... :rolleyes:

You're making my head hurt Roman! I've downloaded a shed load of C-47 skins and your Bearcat.

(Interesting story about Bearcats: I bought the Virtual Studios Bearcat a long time ago and you prompted me to re-install it. Sheesh!)

Rob,   :LMAO:  

Ron,

Would like to attach a packet of "Goody's" headache powder to this post but AVSIM & International "trading" rules forbid it.  

RE: Bearcat - While the visuals in the VS version may be nice, the good 'ol freeware has it in spades regarding flight quality. So I've been told, and experienced. (She's a puddy tat)  Never bothered otherwise.

Bad_Ol___Puddy_Tat_by_jbwarner86.png

IDEED !  Check dis or dat out for a little funny.  :Big Grin: 

After further review I will wait until T minus 1 hour before releasing a Proxy package and will be on TS at that time to distribute if necessary.

Do you need a B17 alias yet?

You've gotta be helluva busy all day. Cleaning, cooking, changing diapers... :rolleyes:

Apologies Rob. This was funny as I typed it but became less so overnight. In fact, it wasn't funny at all! :blush:

Rob, :LMAO:

Yeah... still disappointed that nutty thing wasn't fixed.

I was years ago for the kids!

Now only busy doing that for me.  :Big grin: