Sign in to follow this  
FINXPAS

FSX: Steam Edition for Take-Off on December 18

I'm still wondering whether or not we will be able to activate our original discs on Steam. If not, they need to justify charging anything for this "re-make" (other than fixing the stupid GameSpy multiplayer).

I wouldn't of thought so,  just curious why would you think that?  Is it not a completely different thing,  as in ownership and license 

there was a thread about it in the orbx forums but the admins deleteted it, the steam version of fsx is the same as the disc version, so i wouldn't expect much, it's just a way to swindle more simmers out of money, watch and see,dovetail games will wipe you out with there train simulator if you let them.

Yeh, I can imagine it now....Wife's gone shopping, kids at a friends house, you got the whole afternoon to fill with FSX.  You've set up all your yokes and rudder peddles, click on the icon to fire up the sim and... "Steam needs to update, please be patent"... afternoon wasted :cray: .

I suggest, you get hold of the original FSX and Accel pack on disc, tell them how much you love them........ don't let the wife hear that bit :blush: .....

install them, knowing that ANY addon will work properly, them lock them away in a safe place.  Once the sim is as you like it, back up your cfg's and other important files, lock them up safe too and your set.

If your comp fails or needs to be replaced, then bingo, you have all that you need.  And thats why I no long play CoD.

Got Original disc of Gold Edition and fs2004 and fs2002, fs2000. Never throw away anything from Microsoft. Use steam for Euro Truck sim II does a splendid job and the game never crashes while driving at all. 

+1

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Nope, just FSX on life support. 

That's actually pretty accurate

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

it's just a way to swindle more simmers out of money,
You could say that about any game that is released on Steam.  I suppose its no secret that Dovetail "Might" try and make some money, why wouldn't they, its a business.
Simple arithmetic really,  if you like the product then you will part with the cash. The difference is as I said before ALL your purchases in one spot and all configured for you, Fantastic
There's no conspiracy theory,  you like=you buy. 

I heard they were allowed to make bug fixes as well

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

All Dovetail Games can do is:

1. Convert it to the Steam system.

2. Modify it for their multi-player system.

They cannot convert anything to 64 bit, fix any other bugs, add new content, subtract any content, add any textures, remove any textures, add any utilities, or change FSX in any other way. What you have now with FSX is what DTG is going to offer.

Jim,

Sorry that one got away! My first post was wishful thinking.

for the pmdg guys it will be good, if pmdg installs into fsx steam, no more disc errors and problems,you have to wonder though what will work and what won't, and it depends on the price tag.

Nearly 1300 views already, I feel the hand of history on my shoulder.

I wonder if they'll have fixed the random crashes of FSX in Windows 7 when releasing it via steam. That puts me off using FSX more, as MS Flight in comparison is running rock stable.

As I understand it, it is the same old love and hate version of FXS that we mostly already all have. No improvements allowed. Hope for next year anyway. It should be interesting.

Steve A

I have been slowly experimenting with P3Dv2 the last few weeks. Its kinda nice, but..........  :unsure:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I'm still wondering whether or not we will be able to activate our original discs on Steam.

You'll activate your FSX as you always have, through the MS servers.

it's just a way to swindle more simmers out of money

How so? If you own FSX already not a single thing will change.

If you don't own FSX already you will purchase through Steam, the same software, the same planes, the same scenery, the same, the same, the same.

Add-ons will all be the same. They will all install the same, the same, the same. There is no DLC, so the same.

I heard they were allowed to make bug fixes as well

Yep, get multiplayer working for their servers.