Sign in to follow this  
FINXPAS

FSX: Steam Edition for Take-Off on December 18

Word over at ORBX has been there has been no contact with them either. But I think the big picture over at DTG is a future Flight Sim and the FSX Steam Edition is just a revenue generator for them in then interim. Probably they will spend the minimum amount of time on it and not really interested in taking the time to work with the current FSX third party developers. Resources are better spent on a Flight Simulator 2016 or wherever they decide to take this. 

Matthew Kane

We said that we're third party devs with about 10+ products for sale and that we're interested in working with them in either supplying product or n making sure that our stuff works in any new versions that they might make and/or sell.

Pretty obvious, to us anyway, that this would be beneficial.

Nary a response.

And if they were to do a FS 2016(or whatever) you'd think they would want all of us to be in on it... Anyone heard of Flight?

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

How do you know this Jim?

Because MS FSX is coded to work internally with GameSpy and now it would need to be patched to work with the Steam servers.

We said that we're third party devs with about 10+ products for sale and that we're interested in working with them in either supplying product or n making sure that our stuff works in any new versions that they might make and/or sell.

Pretty obvious, to us anyway, that this would be beneficial.

Nary a response.

And if they were to do a FS 2016(or whatever) you'd think they would want all of us to be in on it... Anyone heard of Flight?

Did you promise  any money to Dovetail?

You would have to be a fly on the wall over there to know. Hopefully they just do an SDK like in the past.

Matthew Kane

No. Of course not. Why would we?

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

I sense that this thread is about to go off of the rails, so to speak.

Then we could talk about XP X and Steam!

I sense that this thread is about to go off of the rails, so to speak.

It went off topic nearly 100 posts ago but it's been quite a ride though.

Then we could talk about XP X and Steam!

Regarding FSX coming to steam, you can't hide your excitement even in that Cranky voice:)

Because MS FSX is coded to work internally with GameSpy and now it would need to be patched to work with the Steam servers.

Jim, I said I was hoping it would still let players connect directly, in the same way that with gamespy you could still by pass it and connect directly.

Never mind a single, twin, tri or quad, how about a 2-4-4-2? (Getting back on the rails, & steaming ahead?)

Seriously, we never had a problem at our VA, running both FS9 & FAX together on a network using FSHost, but thats another story.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I know there has been a statement from Dovetail that they will try to get as many existing addons as possible to work with FSX : Steam Edition, but I can't help thinking that it's in their best interests that any purchasers of the product would have to purchase new DLC for it (through Steam, and therefore into their pockets directly), rather than use addons that they already have. To be honest, I am sceptical that Dovetail will make as much money out of this little exercise as they may think. No doubt they have done the maths, but ignoring requests for talks with a significant FSX addon developer is not exactly a good sign.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

No. Of course not. Why would we?

Then what did you actually expect Dovetail to do for you?

Then what did you actually expect Dovetail to do for you?

Dovetail needs good content that is compatable with the Steam system, getting good Devs involved early can only help them.

Remember MS shutting out the Dev community with Flight!, how well did that go ?

Dovetail needs good content that is compatable with the Steam system, getting good Devs involved early can only help them.

Remember MS shutting out the Dev community with Flight!, how well did that go ?

Perhaps DoveTail has got all the good content it needs for the time being?