Sign in to follow this  
alhefner

Looks like I'll be making a switch panel!

After flying all fat dumb and happy for a little while, I got the brilliant idea that I needed to actually learn how to operate the aircraft I was flying in simulator... big mistake!

Now, I find that for "proper" operation, there are a lot of systems and subsystems with discrete switches that really do need attention before, during, and after a flight!

So, I figured there must be something available from the manufacturers of controllers out there to fit the bill.

There is, sort of. Saitek has panels already set up for several functions and it certainly is possible to reassign switches through FSUIPC when needed but, I still find their panels a bit limited. GoFlight has very good looking panels that are very flexible as for switch assignment but, I'm not made of $$$$$ so they are out from the start.

That leaves me with designing and building my own panels if I want full flexibility and lower cost. I know there is a USB interface out there for projects like this...I have actually seen the product on the web but I can't remember what the heck it's called or where to find it! I also don't know if it will interface with FSUIPC or not.

Any of the GURUs here got some good info to pass on? I'll be most appreciative!

There are a few choices. Ive used the following:

http://www.desktopaviator.com/

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/

Not difficult at all. EE degree helps but anybody can do it with a little common sense. ...... That is short supply these days! :)

PERFECT! Exactly what I was looking for! I can use toggle switches or momentary contact type depending on what I desire and the airplanes call for...

Thank you sir!

I'm using leo's cards.. brilliant..The BU0836X works like a charm. we have 3x in 1x sim, & 1x in another.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

PERFECT! Exactly what I was looking for! I can use toggle switches or momentary contact type depending on what I desire and the airplanes call for...

Thank you sir!

Leo also supports encoders.

Can create a custom front panel to include switches leds.

Oh, nice link ... panel designer, send order out, get a panel made ... very good idea.  What I currently do is use clear transparent labels for my laser printer and Adobe's InDesign to do the layout ... makes it very cost effective if I decide to change my layout and switch assignments.

GoFlight has very good looking panels that are very flexible as for switch assignment but, I'm not made of $$$$$ so they are out from the start.

As far as GoFlight cost, I'm not seeing how the DIO board is more costly than other solutions listed (even at "normal" price)?  DIO allows up to 88 inputs -- I'll admit GoFlight switches seem a little pricey - especially the rotary 6 and 12 ... I usually wait for a GoFlight sale (black friday was 30% and I went to town on purchases).

But just in case you didn't know (I'm sure you are aware), aircraft like the CS L1011 has almost 500 switches/dials/inputs ... that's going to cost a pretty penny regardless (more modern aircraft actually have fewer switches/knobs ... phew!).  The best I've "tried" to do is manage the ones I know I use on a more regular basis. 

Cheers, Rob.

As far as GoFlight cost, I'm not seeing how the DIO board is more costly than other solutions listed (even at "normal" price)?  DIO allows up to 88 inputs -- I'll admit GoFlight switches seem a little pricey - especially the rotary 6 and 12 ... I usually wait for a GoFlight sale (black friday was 30% and I went to town on purchases).

Cheers, Rob.

Somehow, I see $349 all at once (http://www.goflightinc.com/products/gf-dio-digital-input-output-board) as a bit more expensive than $31(http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=205) ... I may eventually spend $350 on boards but, they will be just the boards I want at the time instead of a combo board where I may only use 1/10 to 1/3 of it...

Like I said, with 30% discounts $244.96 for the GF DIO with 88 I/O's ... isn't BBI-32 32 I/Os and no ability to trigger lights other than wiring in to direct button input and +5v connection - so not sure how you'd make that work for event triggered warning lights and/or other software triggered lights?

So BBI-32 route is 29.99 GBP = $47.03 ... would need 3 units to get 96 I/O so $141.15 + international shipping for me, then figure out what to do about software event triggered LEDs ... I can't imagine this route being hugely less costly for US customers (especially in terms of my time) than a GF DIO.

Cheers, Rob. 

Goflight is great quality but, its out of my price range. If I were going the Go flight route I would probably just buy a built module. Working on a Proline 21 autopilot now using the BBI-32 and encoders and switches from here and there., right around 100.00 for parts + The enclose.

Like I said...$350 is a lot more of a chunk of change RIGHT NOW and ALL AT ONCE than $31 (according to Google converter) to make a panel of switches...when I want warning lights, I'll get another board for those...when I want more switches for another panel, I'll get it...

Unless GoFlight has a "pay as you go" thing where I can say "I'm only using 15 of the switches and none of the lights so, how about I only pay for that and when I use more, I'll pay for those."

If you have a touch screen "simtouch plus 2" is brilliant and cost effective. I use it for stuff like Carenado and for the complex stuff like PMDG there is  fs2crew where every switch/task has a voice command.

ZORAN

If you have a touch screen "simtouch plus 2" is brilliant and cost effective. I use it for stuff like Carenado and for the complex stuff like PMDG there is  fs2crew where every switch/task has a voice command.

Now THAT is nice! It looks good and can be used with touchscreen or mouse. If it displays and uses all the controls that are enabled in the sim, then it's really good! Basically for about $150 (basic LED monitor at about $100), a person has controls that fit each and every aircraft. With a panel made using the hardware interfaces, the user would have to reconfigure a lot of things when going from one aircraft to the next sometimes or, build custom panels for aircraft... that adds up in time and money.

It does so much more though. Autopliot, GPS,G1000, Radios, Instrument panel,comms, Start sequence for all planes, TCAS, lights, gear etc etc etc

I bought an infrared touch screen overlay can be used on any pc display

This is a long demo vid because it does a lot of stuff but best showcases it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NoRG7IdllK0

ZORAN

Yeah, I watched that demo. They have more video on youtube so, I'll watch those too. Where did you find that overlay?