Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

Something is coming ... something with an HD and a v3 in it ...

.. in approximately 10 days (hopefully somewhere next week) I hope to be able to release the new HD mesh Scenery v3. After 50 days, the file creation has now finished (now comes testing, packaging etc.). It was definitely very slow (too slow) ... but it was no surprise, as I did drive the scenery generator far outside its original specifications (these were the words of Ben Supnik :lol: ). But its now absolutely clear, that in future, there will need to be some changes to make this entire HD thing more viable (and indeed, there are already ideas - so there is hope).

For now - and to shorten the time - I have a simple picture for you, showing the coverage of HD Mesh Scenery v3. I generated this map with a tiny script (I used it all the time to visualize progress), and so you see ALL DSF files which will be part of this release. Additionally, the color coding gives you a feeling about the relative size of the DSF files.

hd_mesh_scenery_v3_status_09122014.jpg

This link brings you to the larger version:

And a note about delivery method. This time there will be a bit more option than last year, which will make the release a bit smoother for most of you. The following options will be available

• Bit Torrent with direct seed from flightsim.com (this should be the preferred way for most of you - at least those who know what a torrent is)
  • Direct download via flightsim.com (again- jsut like last year - with the "premium account" to speed up things)
  • Direct download via x-plane.org (the exact way is still worked on - they want to make sure the entire site doesn't goes down because of this)
  • A few days late, direct download via ISDG mirror (again a big thank you to them)
  • And possibly, weeks / months later a DVD version from fspilotshop.com

Ooh .. and we are talking about 98 zip files and 99 GBytes of data!

Amazing! :D

Could you give a short list what will be the main changes compared to v2?

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Congrats on all your hard work, Fantastic new's Alpilox,   looking forward to the big release

Amazing! :D

Could you give a short list what will be the main changes compared to v2?

I had a few - early - thoughts on this here:

Most notable differences will be Canada, Australia and in Europe a quite noticable change in forest details / accuracy. USA / Alaska and Japan will "only" profit from the improved mesh resolution, updated OSM data (might make big changes in some regions - less so in others), and the other smaller / larger fixes.

A longer fix list is on my website:

A longer fix list is on my website:
http://www.alpilotx....2/#Known-issues

Great! I like esp. this one:

Some roads missing in the center of some cities (like for example in Rostock / Germany) – usually those were roads marked as “pedestrian only”. This has been fixed and will be in future scenery.

:D

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Great! I like esp. this one:

:D

Yes, that fix came because of your "bug report" ... (and I hope it really worked :-) )

Great!  I just got the DVDs to install v2 and it is great.  Guess that will be obsolete very quickly!

Great!  I just got the DVDs to install v2 and it is great.  Guess that will be obsolete very quickly!

Lol No V2 is fantastic as well.

Well ... it depends ... of course V3 brings a lot of nice improvements, but V2 should be good enough in many cases (so, no reason to throw away the DVDs).

And just as an UPDATE: in the background, a lot is happening (just as we write here) .... I am in the middle of uploading/delivering the files to all the hosting sites. If all goes well (and it can always go wrong), release could be in less than a week.

For those who still read in this thread cool.png  ... the new screenshots are already up and can be viewed to shorten the wait (of course, they will be linked to in the official release infos too).
THE FILES ARE STILL NOT READY AND NOT RELEASED (but should be soon).

Hope to have the release ready in a few days ... be patient!

Some real improvements there, nice job!

Waiting patiently for that Download button. :-)