Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

Couple of questions about P3D?

Ok... I know that all of you who use Navigraph are quite used to inexpensive navigational data... but...

In the real world, said navigational data is expensive. Really, really expensive. To use it in the core simulation so that all the navigational data in the core sim is updated is not simply a licensing cost (which is really, really expensive)... but it also requires a great deal of man-hours to go through the entire simulation's data files (airports, etc) and update each and every one of them, including building each and every approach. This becomes a significant cost impact on the product with minimal return because... those of use who use Prepar3D as a commercial training product... we always use our own data source which is going to be far more accurate and up-to-date by adhering to the 13-cycle update process that is in the real world.

If you want to practice real world approaches... you need real world functionality. The default GPS in the sim doesn't ever qualify for that and it never has.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

P3D is an EXCELLENT training tool for approaches, can you expand on that a little bit? 

I 2nd what Vic has suggested, SimDirector is far far superior to anything in FSX.  SimDirector is still a work in progress (and it's not perfect) but it's evolving very well is an excellent "built in" tool to meet scenario needs such as setting up Instrument approaches.

Also with Volumetric Fog (not in FSX) and more accurate environment lighting, it can make those Instrument approaches much more realistic than anything in FSX.

LM offer a 60 day refund if you are not satisfied.

Cheers, Rob.

Oh yeah, as far as World data goes, Lockheed certainly have their own ... :)

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2014/december/NGA-map-of-the-world-deployed-in-cloud-isgs-1282014.html

Cheers, Rob.

And so, Sir Rob,

How do we underlings get access to this data? And in what form?

Thanks sir

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

How do we underlings get access to this data? And in what form?

Since P3D is LM and LM have the data, I would imagine access would be via the LM Project Manager (Wes) and integration of such data would include the rest of the LM dev crew.

But I think my underlying point here is that LM is a large company with access to resources direct (from within) since they own them ... so no need to license from someone else when you have the pot of gold (aka data).

As for us underlings (myself included) the best shot we have is to support the product.  Pretty sure Microsoft/Dovetail have no such access to this data.

Cheers, Rob.