Sign in to follow this  
fantasma

unable to uninstall FSX

Greetings,

This may be simple for you folks,  and I'll probably embrass myself with my ignorance, but this  is driving me to tears:

Just upgraded to a more powerful rig, 3.50GHz, 16.0, NVidia Geforce 2.1.4., 64 bit, windows 7.    Intalled FSX, had some issues with add on, uninstalled add-on and tried to uninstall FSX.  No joy.  going out of my mind.

After clicking uninstall from Programs, FSX Repair or Remove screen comes on, I select 'remove', and this is when  "error 1618 - another installation is already in  progress close that installation before proceeding...." comes on. This soon is  followed by a screen that reads: "Installshield wizard complete - the wizard was interrupted before MSFSX could be completely installed/uninstalled. -- The system has not been modified. To install/uninstall thjis program at a later time, run the install/unistall again".  Tried uninstalling several times, same result. 

I think that  I did shut down the first unistall attempt because it seemed that the system was frozen.  Only other programs on this computer are FS9 and add ons and several virus protections, all  successfully installed weeks before. 

Any thoughts?

I believe you have to run the install CD/DVD and choose uninstall from there (and not from Add/Remove Programs). Can you give it a try?

Mario Di Lauro

Thanks  Tamsini,

I had done just that before, and I did it again, getting this message.. " 1607: unable to install installshield scripting runtime".

If it were a matter of just buying another FSX set, I would  do that rather than hassle with this.  But my suspicion is that I have to 'repair' something within the system or every other FSX intallation, even a brand new CD,  will be destined for failure.  And frankly, even when it worked in my other computer, FSX has been a monumental dissapointment and giant headache.  Problem is, the latest  AC addons that I really want ( the DC-8 series 70's for example)  are only made for FSX.  At least I have FS9,  always reliable, thank you Gods of simulation.

Keep your thoughts coming and thanks.

Try going into Task Manager and see if there is an applicable process or service running that can be stopped.

I have run into uninstalls that got, uh, stalled.

Just a thought,

Wilson

1.download revouninstaller.

2. select fsx

3. force uninstall

4. enjoy! getting 10GBS back onto your HDD or SSD

Hi friends, found the solution!  many thanks to all who replied, I learned from all of you and i appreciate it.  Tried all suggestions, no joy, and just before going for revouninstall I stumbled onto 'magnetite' posting of 09 Nov. 2014 - 12:13 PM, bringing to our attention Microsoft's "Fix it":  Worked llike a charm: simple, follow the screen suggestions, and fast. A sleepy 5 years old could do it. Reinstalled FSX and tested it, works as before, which isn't saying much but it works.  Giant load off my shoulders. 

I could not have done it without all of you folks. It's great to have this backup. Thanks again.

And of course, a safe, healthy and happy holidays to all. 

well im glad youve figured it out. I use revouninstaller to uninstall everything because i can delete the left over files