Sign in to follow this  

Solution to P3D v2.4 and v2.3 vertical cloud issue

I don't know if this has already been mention, I did a quick search and didn't see anything.

If you want to fix the Vertical cloud issues and also retain VERY good cloud performance you can use the v2.2 Cloud.fx and Cloud2.fx files.

1.  Backup the two Cloud.fx and Cloud2.fx files in ..\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ShadersHLSL

2.  Locate your v2.2 Cloud.fx and Cloud2.fx files (hopefully you have backups of prior versions) and copy them to ..\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ShadersHLSL

3.  Delete your shaders folder i.e. C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

4.  Fly

If you don't have the v2.2 Cloud.fx and Cloud2.fx files handy, I've asked LM for permission to post a link to them and will do so IF I get the ok.  Don't PM me for the files as I can't do that.

The clouds aren't perfect and are very v2.2 with some excessively dark clouds, but you folks may prefer them over the vertical clouds in v2.3 and v2.4.  With the limited testing I've done with the v2.2 shaders in v2.4 seems to work reasonably well.  Obviously this is a temporary solution.

Cheers, Rob.

No, you need the v2.2 files ... copy those into V2.4

Here is a quick video I made with lost of clouds using v2.2 cloud.fx and cloud2.fx files in v2.4 install.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, is there a way of making the clouds less dark without doing it through Paintshop/Photoshop ?

Hopefully the dl link will be allowed as I am onboard since v2.3 and have only a full v2.4 install.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Guest tymk

Obviously this is a temporary solution.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate all the time you put into making P3D2 better. To be perfectly honest, however, I'm beginning to get a bit concerned about the lack of feedback from LM on the outstanding issues. Are you allowed to comment on whether there's work being done on an official fix to the cloud issue and the cloud shadow/terrain shadow issue (dark blotches with both enabled)?

Tym

Allow me to second the encouragement of Lockheed to allow you to post up the v2.2 files. I can't imagine very many people still have the old version floating around.

While I am not severely hampered by the vertical cloud issue, it does happen on occasion and it is rather jarring, so any way to clean that up would be appreciated.

Cheers, and hopefully we'll see the files available soon,

-Greg

What is exactly the "vertical cloud issue"?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Thanks for a solution Rob! Btw, do you guys know how to fix a "double contrail" issue in P3D 2.4?

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Thank you for your efforts, Rob!

If I try other cloud.fx/cloud2.fx files (e.g. 2.2) than from V2.4 I have absolutely no clouds in the sky- and yes, the shader-cache was deleted!

Am I alone with this effect...?! 

Thank you!!!

Thank you for your efforts, Rob!

If I try other cloud.fx/cloud2.fx files (e.g. 2.2) than from V2.4 I have absolutely no clouds in the sky- and yes, the shader-cache was deleted!

Am I alone with this effect...?! 

Thank you!!!

Me too, are you using ASN?

Interesting ... I was testing with built in weather and weather themes.  I do have ASN, so I'll test with that in an area that I know has bad weather.

Thanks for reporting.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes, I tried ASN (newest Version), OpusFSI and FSGRW- always the same: no clouds... :(

@Rob: For really bad weather: Try Germany :lol:

Perhaps the problem is Cloud2.FX, you could try with only Cloud.FX of 2.2.

Perhaps the problem is Cloud2.FX, you could try with only Cloud.FX of 2.2.

No, it works with 2.3, but not with the 2.2.