Sign in to follow this  
Jetblst

FS9 Evolution. A couple of questions.

Hi Sascha,

1.  I've noticed that there is a greenish tint to some of my areas.  For instance I was re-working KLZU, and I wanted to get a more accurate color for the runway.  I noticed I had to choose "Shale" for the runway.  Do I have a setting wrong or an installation issue?  I notice this greenish blue tint on all my scenery.  Not a deal breaker.  FS9 issue maybe?

2.  Some of the textures are blurry more than normal.  I have all my sliders to the right, so it's not an FS9 setting on that.  It looks like there might be a double pass over some textures or something.  Not a scenery guy, so if you can give me a push in the right direction for tweaking that would be great.

Respectfully,

Jet

Hi Jet,

the colour issue has many aspects. Here are some factors which contribute to different colour depiction:

1. sky textures. There are some  single pixels in the sky textures top right which control things like cloud and terrain lighting (for both dark and bright areas). Using different sky textuures sometimes gets me different colour saturation.

2. ENB or sweetFX settings make a radical difference

3. monitor profiles

The EVO textures were more blueish to begin with, popular demand made we shift them towards green a lot. Maybe there is still too much blue for your taste left ;)

Regarding blurries I don't think I can help you much as they can have lots of different reasons. I listed some tweaks to improve graphics in the readme/installation which might help for some causes of this. I recently noticed that FS9 does switch LODs when it feels it is using too much processing power. I think that is directed by a setting in the graphic section, will look it up as I get home.

I think it is one of the self-resetting settings, so you'll have to change it all the time or run a batch (which I do). Makes tweaking much easier.

Cheers,

Sascha

Hi Jet,

the setting is LOD_TARGET_FPS=x and it should be in the graphics section of the fs9.cfg. I have set mine to 6.

Cheers,

Sascha

Thanks Sascha!  I will do some experimenting, I appreciate it!  In flight I don't really notice it.  Only when getting down to details re-working airports and such.  

Respectfully,

Jet

Just refresh my memory please, which bmp is shale ? Maybe you could use another runway texture.

Cheers,

Sascha

Hi Sasha,

I think I found the problem.

I had been doing a lot of airport renovation on KLZU.  The stock airport was a joke as many are.  LOL

So.

First I downloaded, learned, then updated things with Sbuilder.

Sbuilder can do a lot of weird things to scenery.  I have done two edits.  

First one is that I changed my airport background to a different grass.  If you are aware of Sbuilder I can tell you specifically.

Second change was that I noticed two of my ground polys were touching, which shouldnt matter however, I cannot be for sure if that brought on problems.

I am leaning towards the change in airport background.  

However I got there, all is well now and a lot better.  The blueish tint that was all over all of my taxiways and runways is now gone.  

Third, I noticed some other weird event that I got help with over at FSdeveloper.  BECAUSE I had chosen those textures mentioned above, I found out they come with bumps in them.  Yes they do.

So when you taxi on a bituminous taxi way, FS behaves as if you are taxiing off airport.  Oddly enough.  Well, you get the same on a shale runway.

Here is ANOTHER oddity.  Because of those choices in textures, Parts of my taxiways and aprons were MISSING.  All the while I was assuming that anything taxiway or runway was flat and a low number on the draw.

Switching the taxiways and runway BACK to asphalt solved all of those problems.  I think stumbling on this background in Sbuilder helped too.

So now my airport at KLZU looks rather real and up to date.

Thanks for the pointers.

Another Question!  LOL

So,

When I taxi I notice that the grass textures have a jitter to them.  The tend to move a bit or jiggle.  Regular textures in FS9 do not do that.

Any ideas on that?

Respectfully,

Jet

Hi there! The detail.bmp is most likely the root of the jitter problem. It is usually at a higher resolution, and it gets overlaid over ordinary ground textures. You could try the following things:

- try this first: set Negative lod terrain bias to clamp in Nvidia Inspector or Nvidia System Utility. Allowing this often increases jittering

- increase anisotropic filtering

- increase antialiasing eg add FXAA

- open detail.bmp and resave as dxt1. I'll try to remember to include different formats in my next upgrade.

In what resolution are you running FS9?

Cheers,

Sascha

Not sure what you mean what resolution are you running.  However all my sliders are full right if you are asking in regards to sliders.

Somewhere in your help that fixed the jitters.  Runs nice now!!  Thanks!  

I am going to reset all of my Nvidia settings to NickNs bible.  That seems to be the best, even though the info is intended for FSX.

IF I run into problems I'll let you know.  More than likely I wont.  Then we'll know it was Detail1 being renammed to dxt1

as the help in this.  

I like the grass look too.  The look before this fix looked like a lot of small dots too.  This looks like a nice grass.

Respectfully,

Jet

Jet, I'm not sure what you did - did you rename the detail1.bmp? Then it will not be displayed anymore, I believe.

Can you post a screenie of what you're seeing?

Cheers,

Sascha

Jet, I'm not sure what you did - did you rename the detail1.bmp? Then it will not be displayed anymore, I believe.

Can you post a screenie of what you're seeing?

Cheers,

Sascha

Yes I did rename the file.  Everything was working ok.

But...

I decided to grab a copy of Eaglesofts Citation X for FS9.  Everything was going great until I noticed some texture oddities around 23k.  I really never took my Beechjet any higher as I was working engine stuff, and also redesigning my home field. 

When I took the CitX for a spin I notice some really weird texture things going on.  The first three are with EVO.

Screenshot%202015-01-31%2001.47.58_zpsba

Screenshot%202015-01-31%2001.45.44_zpskp

Screenshot%202015-01-31%2001.45.51_zpsqx

Yes that is the default Lear.  Made the save flight easier.  Anyway.  Look at the Atlantic Ocean off Florida.  It has become Angular rather than a nice horizon.  There are blurries in one of the others.  (OF the first three)

These second three are where I loaded up that saved file you had us make so we could revert if EVO did something we didnt like.

Screenshot%202015-01-31%2001.45.59_zps2q

Screenshot%202015-01-31%2001.47.36_zpsba

Screenshot%202015-01-31%2001.47.45_zpshx

[url=http://s281.photobucket.com/user/jetblst/media/Screenshot%202015-01-31%2001.10.21_zps3jxgbznx.png.html]

These are all at the exact same altitude and location while on pause.  In FS9 it is hard to get the exact same angle on the place while doing screenshots.  Sorry.

Any ideas?

Respectfully,

Jet

Hi Jet,

did you use the tweaks in the fs9.cfg I suggested? If not, make a backup of your original file and try some of these. This looks like the extended terrain and default terrain radii are not set well, but it could also be a memory error, because my textures are bigger and use more display power than default textures.

Cheers,

Sascha

I noticed that I had not set up my fs9.cfg file per your edits and tweaks.  I just did, and still the same.  No matter what I do.

I load deafault textures and all is well to 150 miles.  I cant even limit my vis to 20 miles and I still get the fallse textures.

Possibly an entire reinstall is in order?

Could it be something from another program?

I am using ADE airport editor to edit airports.

I am also using instant object.  Anything from them?

I really hope I dont have to go back to regular textures.  

Respectfully,

Jet

No, this must have something to do with texture loading - I don't think another program is involved. Can you send me your fs9.cfg file? I am no expert in tweaking but i will see if I can find a setting which could be improved.

Cheers,

Sascha

I sent it to FS Evolution.  Thanks so much!

Respectfully,

Jet

I sent it to FS Evolution.  Thanks so much!

I hope I can assist you.

Cheers,

Sascha