Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Consider making forename mandatory in signatures

I know a lot of people who post on AvSim don't like using their full names. Fair enough. I've never had a problem with it but some will want to 'hide' behind a collection of letters and numbers for whatever reason.

But when responding to those people it's sometimes a pain to type out their 'handle' as often it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue (or my fingers on the keyboard!)

Could you consider making it mandatory for all forum posters to include their forename in their signature? That would certainly help when replying and wouldn't compromise their identity.

Thanks.

(As someone who has always included my forename and surname on internet forum posts), why so you feel the need to force people to do this?     You don't need to write out people's 'long forum monikers', just quote their post and reply - they can clearly then see that you are referring to them.

If someone has included a real name in their signature I'll always tend to use it, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest when people don't.    There are many reasons why people may not want to use their real name, and I don't think they should even need to justify or explain them.

Since this topic seems to be on signatures, why was the line in my signature letting the world know what planes I'm currently flying removed by admins????

Especially in that it was no different than the poster immediately above mine??

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Since this topic seems to be on signatures, why was the line in my signature letting the world know what planes I'm currently flying removed by admins????

Especially in that it was no different than the poster immediately above mine??

Yep - mine too.  

The Admin has written "Sim specs removed by Admin" but my signature did not have sim specs in it; like yours it was just a list of some aircraft I am currently enjoying.

This should serve as a lesson about the pointlessness of some bureaucratic 'mandatory' actions.

Someone clearly thinks they've done a valuable and important moderation job by removing a couple of aircraft that you and I were enjoying, from our signatures.  :rolleyes: 

Oh well....  B)

Yep - mine too.  

The Admin has written "Sim specs removed by Admin" but my signature did not have sim specs in it; like yours it was just a list of some aircraft I am currently enjoying.

This should serve as a lesson about the pointlessness of some bureaucratic 'mandatory' actions.

Someone clearly thinks they've done a valuable and important moderation job by removing a couple of aircraft that you and I were enjoying, from our signatures.  :rolleyes: 

Oh well....  B)

Indeed.  I'm actually a bit upset over this, since there cannot possibly be harm in starting what plane you're currently flying or enjoying.

My next thought, after a quick perusal through some threads in the PMDG forums, is that they are going to be very, very, very busy removing all the signatures or banners that lsit a product by name from a good percentage of users that frequent that part of the boards.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Indeed.  I'm actually a bit upset over this, since there cannot possibly be harm in starting what plane you're currently flying or enjoying.

My next thought, after a quick perusal through some threads in the PMDG forums, is that they are going to be very, very, very busy removing all the signatures or banners that lsit a product by name from a good percentage of users that frequent that part of the boards.

I really like the guy, and his review work, but interesting to note an AVSIM Staff Reviewer who has images and lot's of info about certain aircraft and products, in his signature.

I wonder if the 'rule' that has seen yours and my signatures wiped today will apply there.....

I really like the guy, and his review work, but interesting to note an AVSIM Staff Reviewer who has images and lot's of info about certain aircraft and products, in his signature.

I wonder if the 'rule' that has seen yours and my signatures wiped today will apply there.....

It will be interesting to see, indeed.

I see that like me, you have also changed your signature to match the current events! :lol:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

see that like me, you have also changed your signature to match the current events!

Thanks guys for your cooperation. The signature rules are pinned in the Hangar Chat forum. I have posted "friendly reminders" here in these forums for almost a year now (maybe even longer) and many ignore my friendly requests so I have gone a step further. It is now a part of our warning system and individuals will now receive warnings when they are in violation of the rules.

Apologize Ray for the guys taking over your topic.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

My point is that you want compel me to use my forename. Apart from that, will you expect us to submit an official certificate stating our forenames to AVSIM before we can become members - In reality that would be pointless and infeasible?

I don't see it as an unreasonable request. You already do it.anyway. It's unlikely to happen for practical reasons.

(As someone who has always included my forename and surname on internet forum posts), why so you feel the need to force people to do this? You don't need to write out people's 'long forum monikers', just quote their post and reply - they can clearly then see that you are referring to them.

Can't see your name on current posts. I would hope people wouldn't feel it was an unreasonable request. Even when I c/p people's posts I often still address them by name. I feel it makes posts more friendly that way.

Apologize Ray for the guys taking over your topic.

Thanks Jim. Somewhat unexpected hijacking!

There are many reasons why people may not want to use their real name, and I don't think they should even need to justify or explain them.

I only asked that forenames be used so I don't see how you can possibly think that would compromise their identity. Whether or not you agree with them we are all obliged to adhere to the rules in a privately run forum.

Funny that you would object to having to use your forename in posts but happily post your date of birth on your profile. Something that is not mandatory.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

When I am allowed to do something, it's something I think about and make a decision that's comfortable to me. When that same thing becomes a mandatory "do it or else" type of thing, my attitude about it changes since the ability to have a choice in the matter is taken from me.

There is a huge difference and it really doesn't matter what the mandatory or voluntary thing happens to be.

As you can see with my handle, I made a voluntary decision that I'm comfortable with by combining my first and last name. If such a handle were to be mandatory, I may not have liked it much and might have not opted to join this great forum.

Al,

I'm not suggesting you should change your 'handle'. All I'm suggesting is people include their first name in their sig so for those who have a mixture of alpha-numeric characters in their handle people have the option of using their first name in any messages.

I don't see that as a biggie but obviously some do. I wouldn't worry as it appears unlikely to happen as it's difficult to police.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Al,

I'm not suggesting you should change your 'handle'. All I'm suggesting is people include their first name in their sig so for those who have a mixture of alpha-numeric characters in their handle people have the option of using their first name in any messages.

I don't see that as a biggie but obviously some do. I wouldn't worry as it appears unlikely to happen as it's difficult to police.

I never thought you were suggesting I change my handle. Nothing you posted even hinted at that. I was using it as an example.

What gets people up in arms is the mandatory vs voluntary thing. Your original post indicated that you wanted it to be mandatory for people to include their first name in their signature whether they liked it or not. The mandatory aspect of it, as opposed to a request that they volunteer to do so, will always ruffle feathers.

When you changed your point of view, back several posts, to giving people the option of including their first name in their signatures, I stated that such a thing was already an option should a user desire to do so.

What gets people up in arms is the mandatory vs voluntary thing. Your original post indicated that you wanted it to be mandatory for people to include their first name in their signature whether they liked it or not. The mandatory aspect of it, as opposed to a request that they volunteer to do so, will always ruffle feathers.

That's my point exactly.  Why should we be compelled to change anything because you want us to.

Also, it simply can't be done on this forum .  How do you know what my forename is - does AVSIM know?

What gets people up in arms is the mandatory vs voluntary thing. Your original post indicated that you wanted it to be mandatory for people to include their first name in their signature whether they liked it or not. The mandatory aspect of it, as opposed to a request that they volunteer to do so, will always ruffle feathers

Some feathers, not all. Consider it a request then.

The PMDG sub-forum here does insist people post their full names. I don't see complaints about that. It's accepted because you want to post there. Maybe if Tom had suggested it instead of a forum member the hackles might not have been raised as much, if at all.

Gerry, I'm not bothered if you don't post your actual first forename. I'm guessing from your handle Gerry is your second name. You're being picky and a little argumentative.

I'm done here now. Moderators feel free to do as you wish with this topic.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The PMDG sub-forum here does insist people post their full names.

You are still missing the point. Does AVSIM actually know what our full names are?