Sign in to follow this  
patrico

Old habits die hard

while some may scoff at what I am about to say.................in a final act of sheer desperation and frustration I need to come clean. Even on autoland I still do not

know how to shoot an ILS approach correctly, the little knowledge I have gleaned comes mainly from Utube and from videos put up by kids (with wrong

information) taking  a break from playing PACMAN and the like, but you get my gist. I fly the PMDG 777 because of its high level of accurate automation (which I

need after my accident) to enjoy  this wonderful hobby/addiction. I learnt from watching these videos that 2500 was always what you should set your altitude at

prior to commencing an ILS approach.

Can someone on here  kindly give me the correct procedure

Patrick,

Your inital altitude should be set by ATC or altitidue difined by the Approach Plate.  Once you capture the Glide Slope, you should reset your altidute to that specified by the missed approach procedures, which are also found on applicaple approach plates. 

Matt King

Patrick,

If you set your altitude target to 2500 you'd be in deep do-do at Denver International since the airport is at approx 5400. To fly an ILS or do any kind of approach you have to review the relevant chart(s). There's no way around this because, while there are general procedures for setting up for an ILS approach, the critical specifics of each individual approach can only be found in the charts. Flying without charts is flying blind.

Free charts for the US are available here. For European airports Eurocontrol has all the charts you need, and you can register here for access to all of them.

Have fun!

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Can someone on here kindly give me the correct procedure

Take a look at the videos mentioned in post #1 in this thread http://forum.avsim.net/topic/453634-mcp-training-videos-released/?hl=%2Bboot+%2Bcamp. There is lot of useful information in these videos. The link in post 1 will take you to YouTube where you will see all the videos he has released. It concerns not only the NGX but procedures in general which are applicable to the T7.

the little knowledge I have gleaned comes mainly from Utube and from videos put up by kids (with wrong information) taking  a break from playing PACMAN and the like, but you get my gist.

This will come across as a little awkward, given the fact that I do have my own YouTube account, and its content is primarily Flight Sim stuff, but...

YouTube is one of the biggest pitfalls for this community. There are way too many kids out there who think that they know everything and will just put anything up there to get views. Never mind the fact that the information is terribly inaccurate and leads people astray, and can set people back immensely in their learning, and other people have to step in and train people out of that.

In any case. Good on you for turning to the forum for more information.

First:

You're flying into DEN. According to YouTube, your initial approach altitude should be 2500. You'd never reach 2500 (in fact, you'd reach about -6' AGL before you got to 2500).

^^^ Jev beat me to this point as I'm writing here, but I will continue...

I'll use IAD as an example because it's my home airport and I know local procedures pretty well.

Say you're coming in on the HYPER5 arrival and are going to be flying the ILS Runway 1R approach.

(Have the chart open for this discussion: http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1412/05100IL1R.PDF)

The HYPER5 brings you in to the east (on the right side of the chart), heading southbound. A controller would likely vector you in as close to MOSBY as possible, assuming there isn't a lot of traffic.

That being said, you can expect the following:

• You'll be on LNAV/VNAV while on the HYPER5
  • You will get a vector off of the STAR before TICON and onto the approach just south of MOSBY
  • You will get a descent instruction from the STAR's last 4000 altitude restriction to the approach's 3000 restriction until MOSBY just before you get vectored off of the STAR
  • You will be cleared onto the approach at this point
  • You will maintain 3000 crossing MOSBY
  • Between MOSBY and WAXIN you should descend at your discretion to 1900
  • At WAXIN, you will follow the glideslope indication on the PFD (note the maltese cross at WAXIN in the vertical profile view - this is the glideslope intercept point)

Since controllers can only vector you in with a maximum of 30 degrees from the LOC heading (011 in this case - rounded to 010 for the purpose of the final vector), dial in a heading of 340 in the HDG window. Just prior to MOSBY, the controller will give you an instruction to descend and maintain 3000. Roll the altitude window down to 3000 and use either FL CH or V/S to descend (I'd recommend V/S this close to the airport - it's a little more smooth, while FL CH can be abrupt). Once the magenta line crosses by MOSBY, select HDG SEL. The plane will begin turning to the pre-selected heading 340. Arm the LOC mode.* Once the LOC is captured, ensure you are past MOSBY and then descend (using V/S) to 1900 (you can make your descent nice and smooth for G/S capture by setting the green banana right on WAXIN by adjusting your V/S up/down as necessary). Once you're in a descent, arm APP. Ensure G/S is captured and you are fully configured for landing. Enjoy the ride.

*This is one of those rare moments where you should arm LOC first, and then APP.

*** I'm hoping that's thorough enough, but I'm also at work, so I'm slightly distracted. If you need clarification on why I gave any of these instructions, let me know ***

Kyle Rodgers

while some may scoff at what I am about to say.................in a final act of sheer desperation and frustration I need to come clean. Even on autoland I still do not

know how to shoot an ILS approach correctly, the little knowledge I have gleaned comes mainly from Utube and from videos put up by kids (with wrong

information) taking a break from playing PACMAN and the like, but you get my gist. I fly the PMDG 777 because of its high level of accurate automation (which I

need after my accident) to enjoy this wonderful hobby/addiction. I learnt from watching these videos that 2500 was always what you should set your altitude at

Patric....I dont mind helping you or anyone else and will keep doing so (because iI enjoy it)......but why are you trying to fly such an advanced addon while missing the basic knowledge required to shoot an ILS?

Practice with a Cessna or something like that (there are General aviations addon available that are stunningly realistic I read) and do a quick IFR type rating.

I am sure there are missions available for free (maybe AVSIM library?) that will help you there.

Rob Robson

know how to shoot an ILS approach correctly, the little knowledge I have gleaned comes mainly from Utube and from videos put up by kids (with wrong

information) taking a break from playing PACMAN and the like, but you get my gist. I fly the PMDG 777 because of its high level of accurate automation (which I

need after my accident) to enjoy this wonderful hobby/addiction. I learnt from watching these videos that 2500 was always what you should set your altitude at

The old habits are the best ones IMHO. ;)

Ralph Freshour, a member here, created a series of excellent video tutorials for ILS approaches which explain it all extremely well for the NGX. The procedures he demonstrates are equally applicable to the 777. All on his YouTube channel.

As for the 2500 ft altitude thing, in lieu of hunting for the right charts, a reasonable rule of thumb is to set 2000 ft above field elevation, rounded up to the nearest 100 ft. Saves time and also avoids any unnecessary embarrassment at places like KDEN or FAOR.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Ralph Freshour, a member here, created a series of excellent video tutorials for ILS approaches which explain it all extremely well for the NGX. The procedures he demonstrates are equally applicable to the 777. All on his YouTube channel.
These are the same videos I am writing about in post #4. I believe Ralph was an instructor for Boeing on the 737.

I believe Ralph was an instructor for Boeing on the 737.

Sim guy, but not the 737 from what I recall. Older stuff, like the L1011.

Kyle Rodgers

Sim guy, but not the 737 from what I recall. Older stuff, like the L1011.

Boeing never made the L-1011. Lockheed manufactured it. And Ralph worked for Boeing.

Boeing never made the L-1011. Lockheed manufactured it. And Ralph worked for Boeing.

Yes, I know who made the L1011. I don't recall hearing Ralph worked for Boeing...

Kyle Rodgers

From Ralph's bio:

"I spent 20 years as a Flight Crew Training Instructor for Lockheed, McDonnell Douglas, Boeing and two major airlines."

Dugald Walker

"I spent 20 years as a Flight Crew Training Instructor for Lockheed, McDonnell Douglas, Boeing and two major airlines."

Right. I think I recall him telling a story about the 727 sim.

...still, I don't think he was ever on the 737, or at least not the NG, based on his questions here on the forum.

Kyle Rodgers

and Lockheed according to his bio.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Thank you guys. I have looked  at Ralph Freshour''s  Utube channel. Very informative and well structured. I have sent him an email asking him to point  me in the direction to watch the relevant video on the ILS approach . The way I had picked it up from reading books etc, that you picked up the LOC  first and then later on the G/S .  My problem is I 6/10 fail to capture the G/S as I have  always been to high. Most PMDG aircraft will not allow you to pick up the G/S first,.

A few posts back someone asked me why I did not learn on a less complicated aircraft ? my answer to that would be, if you were aware of my previous job, it would go a long way in explaining