Sign in to follow this  
andy a

Problem installing some PMDG MD11 liveries

Hello

I recently had to uninstall/re-install FSX together with PMDG 747X Queen of the Skies, PMDG 737NGX, PMDG MD11, and ORBX scenery programs.

Everything has now been re-installed and working well, except when I try to install some  PMDG MD11 liveries downloaded from the PMDG site.

The versions of the MD11, in the PMDG livery, are showing on FSX, but I wanted the same liveries which I had, prior to having to do the uninstall/reinstall.

I downloaded British Airways, Air Canada, United, Aer Lingus and City Bird liveries.   When I launch the file,from the completed download , the Install Shield Wizard screen appears with the message, "This program lets you modify the current installation. Click one of the options"  Modify.  Repair. Remove.  I have tried selecting "Modify" to install the livery, but without success. I have tried selecting "Repair", again without success.

The texture folders for these aircraft are in the SimObjects/Airplanes folder on my C drive, and clicking on the thumbnail of, for instance, the Air Canada texture, the image of that aircraft appears with the correct livery. However, when I open FSX, and the  Current Aircraft window, with "Show all variations" checked, the Air Canada is not there.

If I select a download which I have never had before, for example, Japan Airlines, then a different Install Shield Wizard appears, and the installation of the new livery proceeds with no difficulty, and appears, ready to be selected for flight in FSX.

I had no problems installing liveries when I first purchased the download version of PMDG MD11 a few months ago.  I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the MD11 in an effort to resolve the problem.

My OS is Windows 7, and I "Run as Administrator" when required to do so.

This is my first question to this forum, and I hope I have detailed the problem in a clear manner.

I do realise that to some members the answer to this may be pretty basic, but my old brainbox struggles with some of the "Sim"/PC stuff, and I hope you will excuse me.

Regards

Andy

andy a

The texture folders for these aircraft are in the SimObjects/Airplanes folder on my C drive

If the texture installer is not working, how are these folders getting to your C drive ? Did you save them from your previous installation and copy them there?

Peter Schluter

No I didn't save and copy them from the previous installation, and over the recent uninstallation of PMDG MD11 they have been deleted. I don't understand why the textures are there, but I can't see the liveries on FSX.

andy a

Can you open the aircraft.cfg fle from within the MD-11 folder, and post all the { fltsim.x] entries on here

Peter Schluter

I opened the aircraft.cfg within the MD-11 folder, but the only aircraft showing, apart from the PMDG, are the ones which I had downloaded for the first and only time a couple of days ago( as mentioned in my initial post, naming Japan Airlines as example. I did try to add another entry by copy/edit within the aircraft.cfg, changing the airline name, but without success.

I do appreciate that you're taking time to try and help me Peter.

andy a

I did try to add another entry by copy/edit within the aircraft.cfg, changing the airline name, but without success

Why did it not work? Were you able to save the edits to the aircraft.cfg file ?

Peter Schluter

I was unable to save edits to the aircraft.cfg file.

Ok this sounds like a windows permission issue. Have you installed FSX in the default "program files" folder ? If so, In your windows settings turn off UAC and then  try running the livery installer again....this time don't double click, but right click and select "run as administrator".

Turning off UAC may also allow you to save the edits to the .cfg file. If not then you need to copy the .cfg file to your desktop, make your edits and save it. Then copy it back to the folder.

Do some research on UAC and see if you are comfortable with it being off continously. If not then you will just have to turn it on again after doing edits/installations to FSX.

This is a reason why it is advised not to install FSX  to the default program files folder.

Peter Schluter

I followed your instructions to turn off the UAC, ran the installer again and  didn't double click, but right clicked and selected "Run as administrator". Unfortunately it didn't work.

I think I will now uninstall FSX and the add-ons, then install outwith the default program files folder.

My sincere thanks for your interest and suggestions.

Best wishes

Andy

andy a

Further to my post yesterday, I have tried copying the .cfg file to desktop, made and saved the edit then copied back to folder...but it still didn't solve the problem.

andy a

Further to my post yesterday, I have tried copying the .cfg file to desktop, made and saved the edit then copied back to folder...but it still didn't solve the problem.

It will will help me and others if you were more specific in your replies. "didn't solve the problem" does not tell me much.

Did it allow you to save the edit on the desktop ?

Did it allow you to paste and overwrite the existing .cfg file

Did it allow both of the above, but the aircraft still not show up in FSX ?

see what i mean ?

Peter Schluter

"Didn't solve the problem" simply meant that the problem I initially stated, re the installation of the PMDG MD11 liveries, still exists...I can't install the liveries.

Sorry if I didn't make clear that I did in fact copy and save the edits on desktop. it allowed me to paste and overwright the existing.cfg...but the aircraft did not show up in FSX.

I have searched for info elsewhere on the internet, but I now intend to uninstall/reinstall everything on FSX. Hopefully then everything will work, as it was doing successfully, up until recently.

andy a

If you wish to paste all the fltsim.x enries on here from the aircraft.cfg file, I could have a look to see if there is a reason you are not seeing them in the sim.

Re-installing FSX outside of program files is a good idea in my opinion (although you will find those who disagree). Make sure after you run the uninstaller, you manually delete any left-over folders/files. I also reccomend you run a registry cleaner afterwards to ensure any wayward entries are cleaned (CCleaner is a good one). Finally , re-install with your AV turned off.

Peter Schluter

I thought PMDG changed the livery installers which are configured to run with the new Operations Center.  You can check if there are any aircraft updates and change or remove liveries etc. with the OPS CTR.

**Edit** 

I think the OC has been shipped with the 777 SP1 update, so disregard if you do not own the 777. 

I will download and install the liveries in question and see if they are visable in the FSX UI.

Edited by HUSSAR

\Robert Hamlich/

Downloaded and installed and it works fine on my PC.  I downloaded and tried to install the FS9 livery but it would not install without FS9 on the PC.

I think Peter is on to something, here is the first entry in the MD-11 aircraft.cfg, notice the first aircraft has the "[fltsim.0]" entry, either you are missing that or perhaps there is something missing from the entry allowing you to see the MD-11 in the FSX UI, the "ui" entries are most important when it comes to displaying the aircraft in the selection area:

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//24MAR09
//VERSION 1.20.0055
//
//PMDG MD-11 (pax) for FSX
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

[fltsim.0]
title=PMDG MD-11 GE CF6-80C2D1F Engines
sim=MD-11
model=GE
panel=WideScreen
sound=GE
texture=GE
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id_color=0xffffffff
atc_id=N11PM
atc_airline=PMDG
atc_flight_number=11
atc_heavy=1
ui_manufacturer=McDonnell Douglas
ui_type=MD-11 GE
ui_variation=PMDG House Livery
ui_typerole=MD-11
ui_createdby="PMDG"  // This is needed for the MD-11 to show in the UI under PMDG
description=McDonnell Douglas MD-11\nPrecision Manuals Development Group\nwww.precisionmanuals.com \nProduced under license from Boeing Management Company.\nBoeing MD-11, McDonnell Douglas MD-11, MD-11, McDonnell Douglas & Boeing are among the trademarks owned by Boeing.\n

visual_damage=0 

\Robert Hamlich/